Join Early Retirement Today

Woodstock
Old 08-15-2014, 05:40 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Woodstock

Hi all! Just checking in with some of my friends here to reflect on this being the 45th anniversary of Woodstock. Can you believe it?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2014, 06:09 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My classmates just had my 45 year HS class reunion, without me.
Old 08-15-2014, 06:19 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

I was watching "The Sixties" on CNN last night, and they showed some Woodstock footage, but the movie of the event is the best place to relive it....

I was 13 that year. We had a summer place about 50 miles from Bethel/White Lake and there were a lot of hippies on the road to the concert. I remember wishing I could go ...but my parents were apopleptic!!!!! Hippies!!! Hair!!! What was wrong with those kids?!?!?!?!? Quick run for the root cellar!!!!!!!!

Watch the movie of the event if you can...so much great music from the time...

Not from Woodstock, but I just listened to "WAR ( What is it good for-absolutely NOTHIN') on You Tube. Listen to that song, the words, and then think how 45 years after it was recorded, there are still wars going on. I guess we will never learn.

How did I get to be 58, and how is that concert at Woodstock 45 years in the past?!?!?!?
Lcountz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 09:23 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Well, I saw the film (released a year later?), and I remember seeing it!

So many greats! Santana - wow! The Who, Richie Havens, Joe Cocker, Alvin Lee, CSN&Y, Sly, ...

and of course, Jimi. It actually took me a while to fully appreciate his Star Spangled Banner, I love it now. But I think his most under-rated song of all time, one that I think few people could name (even people who could name, Hey Joe, Purple Haze, Cross Town Traffic, The Wind Cries Mary, Fire, Third Stone from the Sun, Foxy Lady, Are You Experienced?, Manic Depression, Spanish Castle Magic, Little Wing, If 6 Was 9, Bold as Love , Voodoo Child (Slight Return) ).... this song, "Villanova Junction". I just think it is stunningly beautiful, and so fitting as an ending. Sorry to be morbid, but I want this song at my funeral, it always had a wonderful finality, yet this amazing fluid spirit of openness to its sound, like floating on air and drifting off to... where?

And since I first became familiar with the CSN&Y version of "Woodstock", Joni's original sounded strange to me, but I've come to love them both.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 09:29 PM   #5

I was more into Sesame Street at the time ... but I would give 1% of my WR to see Jimi Hendrix do "Spanish Castle Magic."

Above all, Don't eat the brown acid.
Old 08-15-2014, 11:05 PM   #6

I was 16 and out sailing with sea scouts on the Mississippi River between MO and IL, and on the way home there were all these radio reports about some concert in NY that jammed up all the highways. In today's vernacular, we thought 'whatever'. Then on our High School senior trip to NYC in 1970, we skipped the Woodstock movie to go to see the 'Mash' movie instead. (we did go see the play 'Hair' though!). Still have never seen the movie, but have heard every song on the soundtrack umpteen times. My favorite, for which I still know the words, is the 'I-Feel-Like-I'm-Fixin'-To-Die Rag'. Although later at my college fraternity, one of the older members scratched out the F word on the House copy of the album at the beginning of the song, making it unplayable. (the beginning of the culture wars, I suppose;-)

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 11:50 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Thinking of Joe Cocker (how could he possibly not have burned out by now?)

(And a thanks to our Martha who posted this years ago)
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 07:04 AM   #8

I finished computer school in early July 1969 and had bought tickets for Woodstock. However, I was offered a job in late July and decided I needed the job more than the trip to Woodstock. Now I wish I had saved the tickets.
Old 08-16-2014, 07:04 PM   #9

I finally made it to Woodstock this summer lol. A little town still profiting from one concert 45 years later lol.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 08-17-2014, 06:26 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

We were so much older then, we're younger than that now.
Old 09-02-2014, 08:12 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

I was there! In the flesh (clothed) and the mud.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
iac1003 is offline   Reply With Quote