Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-26-2014, 01:27 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I know someone that teaches Koreans English from home and claims to get paid enough to make it worthwhile.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2014, 06:56 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorgirl02 View Post
There are also careers like family photography and graphic design that can be mostly work-from-home businesses.
One would want to be careful with that. Going down to Best Buy and dropping $800 on a digital camera does not make one a professional photographer and that is what people would justifiably expect.

Although it is targeted at photographers this book is good reading for anyone contemplating starting a sole proprietor business. And it is a business. This is the book that made me realize that while I enjoy photography, and I can be pretty good at it, I do not want to run a business.

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Business-...+photographers
Old 11-26-2014, 07:22 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Work from Home, Part-Time Opportunities

There are a lot of options for home based businesses. But the only ones that make sense are those that you enjoy and have a lot of knowledge and experience in. If you don't have knowledge and experience, there's a good chance you'll fail because you won't be as good as your competition. And you'll need business skills to stay afloat as well. A lot of people think that they can just start any business at home and rake in some cash, but it's not that easy. It takes commitment.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 11:02 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Amway Official Site: Start Your Own Business Today | Amway

Herbalife - United States - Official Site

Affordable Legal Services & Legal Plans | LegalShield

Shaklee: Healthy Weight, Nutrition, Home, Beauty Products

Tons of opportunities out there. All it costs is a small amount to start, and all your friends.
Old 11-27-2014, 01:01 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
One would want to be careful with that. Going down to Best Buy and dropping $800 on a digital camera does not make one a professional photographer and that is what people would justifiably expect.

So very true Walt. I know numerous family/wedding photographers well and it is definitely a lot of work to run the business and also be good at photography. With that said, they are very happy running their home based photography businesses and make a solid income.
outdoorgirl02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 02:19 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

To rephrase the last statement. "Tons of opportunities out there. All it costs is a small amount to start, AND A LOT MORE TO KEEP GOING, and ALL your friends."

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 08:36 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

When I wanted to work at home I just took classes in lap top type work at the local community college and Berkeley extension. I had a few fails until I found something that clicked. The fails were either stuff that just wasn't my calling or the market collapsed for that career field while I was going to school.

If I was looking for a new field today I would start again at my local community college or 4 year and see what they offer. This may be more of a time commitment than what you had in mind, but I'd probably do something like one of these certificate programs in a lap top kind of career if I was starting over today:

Certificates and Programs | UC Berkeley Extension
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 06:20 AM   #28
gone traveling

I have not retired yet--22 weeks left. My plan is cash money under the table. I was once an active white water kayaker and still have my boat and gear along with a surf kayak, two sea kayaks and one tandem sea kayak. I hope to get one trip a week through FB/word of mouth and charge only $25 per person for a half day of salt marsh/intercostal paddling..

I also plan on buying a long ladder and paint houses at $10 per hour plus expenses/supplies. CASH only.

I also have a set of plans for Adirondack lawn furniture. I may also make and sell those. I've made few sets for less than $75 per chair but all commercial I've seen are $250-300 ea.

I hope to fill in my time with those three.
kitesurfer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 07:58 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
No, SNA networking.
OMG, that brings back memories of Front End Processors, point to point circuits all over the world, token rings, etc...
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 08:51 AM   #30
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:

I also have a set of plans for Adirondack lawn furniture. I may also make and sell those. I've made few sets for less than $75 per chair but all commercial I've seen are $250-300 ea.
Need to look at CL for the competition ... I made a set of 8 Adirondack chairs (4 for home, 4 for the lake). Modified a set of online plans for a curved back and seat. Got the price down to $45/chair ... but it took 4-5 hours (assuming all materials are in shop). CL sells similar chairs for $100 each. Tough way to make $$ ... less than $15/hour.
Old 12-01-2014, 10:51 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Creating intellectual property often has a good payback because you can make one thing like a book, software package, app, podcast, user manual or online course and sell it a million times over where material objects have to have inventory replaced after each sale.
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote