Join Early Retirement Today

Work from Home, Part-Time Opportunities
Old 11-24-2014, 07:14 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Work from Home, Part-Time Opportunities

Hello All, I am hoping you can provide some details on any work from home or part-time opportunities you have had. What type of work, how did you find the job, etc. Thanks in advance.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2014, 07:26 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I manage my own portfolio from home. It takes me about an hour a year, but pays a handsome rate.

Old 11-24-2014, 07:36 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

I was an expert in a niche technology, fading but still critical for some major customers. Others on the project wanted to move to new technologies, so I negotiated staying with the old project if I could telecommute. As it became less than a full time job I negotiated part-time. The point is that it's easier to do if you have special skills and/or are willing to do something others would rather not be doing.
Old 11-24-2014, 07:59 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
I was an expert in a niche technology, fading but still critical for some major customers. Others on the project wanted to move to new technologies, so I negotiated staying with the old project if I could telecommute. As it became less than a full time job I negotiated part-time. The point is that it's easier to do if you have special skills and/or are willing to do something others would rather not be doing.
COBOL programmer?
Old 11-24-2014, 08:00 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Check out indeed.com. They usually have a good selection of telecommute jobs. Also blogging and freelance writing are good options if you like to write. If you are crafty, an etsy.com store is a great option.
Old 11-24-2014, 08:23 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Start an early retirement site - they're popular!
Old 11-24-2014, 09:03 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
COBOL programmer?
No, SNA networking.
Old 11-25-2014, 09:08 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
No, SNA networking.
Wow that is a specialized skill, now. I know some internal stuff was still using it, enjoy!

Buddy of mine supports some old assembly code, all of a critical applications security rules are implemented there. Great gig.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 11-25-2014, 09:28 AM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

Wow, brings back memories. Years ago, I programmed SNA/SDLC communications protocols for IBM 3270 and 3774 "look alike" devices. Before that, did Bisync.
Old 11-25-2014, 09:32 AM   #10

Not sure exactly what the OP is looking for but there's mechanical turk and ODesk
Old 11-25-2014, 10:53 AM   #11

Do you have a hobby that has potential business options? Such as search out for valuable items in your hobby area you have good knowledge of that you can resell? Just as an example off top of my head, say you like fishing and are knowledgeable about older equipment. By going to estate or yard sales you can find vintage fishing equipment that may have collectible value. Buy them cheap then flip for some profit. This may be a poor example, but you get the point.

The main advantage to this is you can be a home-based business and get deductions for taxes and at the same time you are doing something that is not really work, it is something you have fun with.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/16 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 01:19 PM   #12

Stay away from anything advertised with you paying for a course on how to make money working from home, like Medical billing etc. That stuff is saturated.

Best to be something you have an in depth knowledge in already.

Maybe some kind of customer service thing , for a smaller company, like you here in the states, from your kitchen table, instead of a call center operator in India. Not sure if any companies are doing this.
Old 11-25-2014, 08:37 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

DW started a business doing Reiki as well as hypnotherapy. She really enjoyed both of them, and especially liked working with and helping people. And horses. She spent some time doing Reiki on horses. She loved that.

But the aspects of having to hustle for business as well as the costs of being a businessperson (in MD, anyway) got to be too much and she let it drop. She still does it, but she uses a "pay it forward" concept and lets people decide themselves how they want to pay for it. The gov't hasn't gotten involved in that yet.
Old 11-25-2014, 10:39 PM   #14

Think about all those craft fairs you might have seen. Are you talented enough to make something like they do ?
Then sell it on etsy and consider a craft fair once you get a pile of stuff to show.

Frankly, unless you have some good skill at something, and are lucky, you will be going in to work as everybody likes to see a warm body.
Old 11-26-2014, 09:12 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Also, forgot to mention - you can always do freelance gigs. Check out peopleperhour.com to see what others are doing. There are also careers like family photography and graphic design that can be mostly work-from-home businesses.
Old 11-26-2014, 12:06 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Most of the people that I know or our kids know who work from home full time do some kind of tech work - DBA, programmer, forum moderator for a software company, contract app developer and tech writer. One of our neighbors used to publish a niche newsletter.

If you search for digital nomad type jobs in Google and that might give you some more ideas.
Old 11-26-2014, 12:13 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

W*rk?

Sent from my iCouch using Early Retirement Forum

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 12:36 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

People do everything part time at home, from babysit neighbor kids after school to making cupcakes to writing user documentation to maintaining websites to programming apps to sewing window treatments to songwriting. All or more or none of these may fit OP's interests or skill set or contact network.

I worked from home for maybe ten years doing complex editorial work after working for a publisher (and before going back to the office). I loved it, and I never looked for projects; people contacted me. I wish I had a nickel for all the people who said they could do that work too. Um, no, they couldn't, no more than I could do custom website graphic design today, no matter how many opportunities there might be, because a., I would hate it, and b., I don't know how to do it. So my advice is to OP is figure out where her skills and interests are first, and go from there.
Old 11-26-2014, 01:49 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

If you are good with google searches - try Lionbridge - it gives you some 1099 income and not a huge time commitment
Old 11-26-2014, 02:24 PM   #20
Full time employment: Posting here.

I know of someone (do not know them personally) that works full-time from home making hotel reservations for a Hilton's International hotel chain. He initially got the job working the night shift, (USA hours) but eventually moved into day hours. He had to travel to Chicago for 1 week of training which was paid for by the company, and had to agree to repay those costs if he did not stay employed for at least 6 months.

I do not know how he got the job though.