Join Early Retirement Today
Old 12-20-2008, 12:55 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to Khan
"Floggings will continue until morale improves."

I'm doing my best to pretend I'm a sociologist or anthropologist studying these people, which does help gain a level of detachment.
I recall finding that viewpoint helpful in maintaining some level of sanity.

"Knowin' no one nowhere's gonna miss us when we're gone..."
Khan is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2008, 01:00 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
No Khan, that would be a violation of the law. However, "All vacations are canceled until morale improves" is perfectly legal...

Numbers is hard.

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension

REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 01:04 PM   #23
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
That always reminds me of this one:

Due to budget cuts, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 01:20 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets
Originally Posted by socca View Post
To keep my sanity, if I were in your shoes I would abandon the idea that I'm an 'employee'. Instead, I would consider myself a consultant running a small business. Your current (only) client is your current employer. This viewpoint would allow me to view the corporate madness with a certain detachment unavailable to those folks still using the employer/employee master/slave mental model.

I sometimes wonder what would happen if we (in the U.S.) abandoned the 'employee' legal status and made everyone into an independent contractor. This would merely be an acknowledgement of the trend already well underway in America, where the traditional social contract between employer & employee has almost completely broken down. We would suddenly have XX million new small businesses in America, and perhaps a healthier approach to personal money management. This is another half-baked idea that would need much more thought by folks more versed in economics than I.

When I got laid off back in '94 after having good work reviews but at the same time questioning some new management policies (I'm sure that contributed towards my layoff), I decided to try contracting work. For me it improved my outlook towards work 100%. If my boss asked me to work overtime, I always responded with "You realize that I get paid for every hour I work, don't you?". That usually stopped most unrealistic expectations of being on-call 24-7 for no extra pay. Contract work is not for everyone, but it was a huge improvement for me. On the other hand, the contractors were usually the first to go when business slowed down.

When companies try to weed out people that don't have a positive attitude, they must differentiate between constructive criticism versus complaining just to complain. Many times they don't see the difference and layoff anyone who doesn't agree with management and loose really good people that have good ideas. And as a result they actually become weaker companies.
DallasGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 03:17 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Originally Posted by cantlogin View Post
That's beautiful!

Almost makes me want to get a job to try that out. ...Almost
Nay, I'd just take a dump on the copier.
BunsGettingFirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 04:05 PM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by BunsGettingFirm View Post
Nay, I'd just take a dump on the copier.
"...put strychnine in the guacamole..."

"Neither my companion or I carry firearms on our persons. We depend on the goodwill of our fellow man and the forbearance of reptiles."

- English Bob
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote