Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-14-2016, 07:21 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Why do you need to access your personal email while at work ? Seems like a trivial thing to me.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2016, 02:36 PM   #42
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nico08 View Post
Because the company uses your personal time on .
nights and weekends. It's a one way relationship. But I don't care anymore, I am FIREd
Good to hear, nico08. Roll on!

Old 03-14-2016, 02:42 PM   #43

A low-end smartphone and a relatively cheap phone plan (if you aren't heavily using and not streaming video, you probably won't even use one gigabyte a month) to access your own e-mail would certainly work. I did that from time to time.

I understand why corporate IT has these rules, even if I think they are sometimes a little more heavy-handed than they need to be.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 03:21 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
Why do you need to access your personal email while at work ? Seems like a trivial thing to me.

I preferred to keep my work e-mail "clean". No "please pick up carrots on your way home", no "where did you leave the keys to the other car?" DH always used e-mail to contact me because it was less invasive than a phone and his messages were rarely urgent.

When we fired an inept young man in my last job and I got access to his work e-mail I found out more than I ever wanted to know about what financial misfits he and his sister were and what kind of frat boy humor he and his Dad (high-ranking executive with the same company) shared.

It's micro-managing to forbid personal e-mails at the office. If an employee has a productivity problem, address it instead of imposing more rules in everyone else.
Old 03-14-2016, 04:01 PM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

I work for major, major Oil company.... Have never had personal email for well over 20+ years.
Do not want it.
I have seen men fired for going to "inappropriate" sites.... Fired and gone in same day....
And to be honest - we are too busy to be fiddling around with personal stuff....
Work's work...
Old 03-14-2016, 04:09 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamboolman View Post
I work for major, major Oil company.... Have never had personal email for well over 20+ years.
Do not want it.
I have seen men fired for going to "inappropriate" sites.... Fired and gone in same day....
And to be honest - we are too busy to be fiddling around with personal stuff....
Work's work...
+1 Never needed personal email while I was working. If something came up of a personal nature, there was always the phone.