Work is Prison

nico08

Recycles dryer sheets
My goal is to retire within 1 to 3 years. The conditions of my work continue to deteriorate, but I earn enough in my current job that a cost-benefit analysis would suggest for me to tough it out. I count the days...

The latest decision by megacorp to mistreat their employees, is to block access to personal email on work computers. Now, mind you, I don't abuse the privilege. The work day and the work computer belong to the employer, not me, I understand that. But this is just another example of how this particular employer has no concern or consideration for the work-life balance of its employees. I have two advanced degrees and yet I, and others in my work place, are treated like factory line workers without any form of union representation. And, when I say this, I in no way intend to disparage factory line workers, I am pro-labor, and respect hard work contributed by any individual.

My real question, however, is how can I continue, in a cost effective manner, to retain access to personal email during work hours? As of now, I do not have a smart phone, but rather a "feature" phone. I can access Gmail through this feature phone, but it is SUPER slow and cumbersome.

I use Verizon as my cell provider. I recently switched to their pre-pay plan. If I get a pre-pay plan with a smartphone through Verizon, will I then be able to quickly access my personal email account during work hours? Is this the only possible work-around or am I missing something?

I am really looking forward to FIRE!!!

Your Verizon work-around sounds like it would work. I have an iPhone with Verizon and I can read my e-mail on it. I don't have the pre-paid plan.

When I retired in 2009, I did not have a smart phone either. My workplace never, EVER allowed us to access external e-mail in any way. My daughter and brother knew my work e-mail address, and could send an occasional mail there if anything important came up. Other than boredom the lack of personal e-mail really wan't a problem at all.

Honestly, if that is the worst of your problems at work, you're doing ok! If you don't want to pay for a smart phone, I think you could get used to the situation just as it is. Just hang in there. :)

This reminds me back in the day when dial up modems in households were the norm, but megacorp has rules against using w*rk internet for personal stuff. That is kinda how cyber Monday started.

Anyhow. at one time I had place a post it not reminding myself..."Only work related stuff" by my monitor.

Though the rule didn't stop me from sometimes taking a long lunch to go to a library and check my email.

When w*rk has such strict rules, many times the rule end up counter productive.

My work allows it, but I still use a Samsung G2 to read my personal email. For various reasons, I don't like to mix work and personal.

A workplace with such strict no personal email rules, also sounds like the kind of place that would log and monitor all employee computer use. I wouldn't want my personal email slurped up by the giant data collection they might be doing.

Do they observer a similar strict no work outside of work hours? No work email from home and no weekend calls from your boss? That might be an okay trade.

Get a $35 virgin mobile plan and check your email from a $29.99 smart phone. That's what I'm doing.

My company blocked personal email site 3 years ago. That doesn't bother me. When I worked for JPMorgan almost 20 years ago, they blocked almost every website!

I carry a separate laptop for my personal business while at work or travelling for work. Two different worlds in preparation for ER.

For 7-8 years I've had No access to personal email. I switched to an android phone on Verizon wireless about 2 years ago. If you use Gmail and other Google features, then you want an android phone.

I'm glad I got a Samsung phone with slightly larger screen, as it is easier for me to read and work with.

Back in my working days, my old company began strengthening its SmartFilter to block access to more and more websites. I lost access to my home email around 2000 but i did not upset me. They had the right to do that. Over the next 8 years before I ERed, a few more websites I frequented I also lost access to. But the ones I could access I continued to go to so that would at least lessen the total of websites I needed to go to when I got home.

One clever coworker was able to do a remote connection from his office PC to his home PC and was able to access all of his preferred websites including his home email. I don't think the company ever found out about it.

There probably were people abusing the office internet for personal use that resulted in the ban. I agree with others about not wanting my personal email being made available to the employer. They are much easier to monitor than personal phone calls used to be, which were also frowned on at almost every place I worked.

Unless people are in positions that require them to use their home internet and personal phones for work-related communication outside business hours but can't do the opposite at work, there doesn't seem to be a work-life balance issue in such prohibitions IMO.

There probably were people abusing the office internet for personal use that resulted in the ban. I agree with others about not wanting my personal email being made available to the employer. They are much easier to monitor than personal phone calls used to be, which were also frowned on at almost every place I worked.

Unless people are in positions that require them to use their home internet and personal phones for work-related communication outside business hours but can't do the opposite at work, there doesn't seem to be a work-life balance issue in such prohibitions IMO.
+1. [-]Managers get really tired of having to waste their time trying to administer internet privileges to individual employees. And MegaCorps don't want their managers to waste time, they have better things to do, so MegaCorps just do company wide bans. Sometimes what's practical and what employees would like don't mesh - that's life.[/-]

At my Megacorp, initially there was a ban on personal use, but eventually, rules were changed to reasonable use. Of course, nothing naughty :LOL: and reasonable amount of time (like maybe a quick check on email, etc).

Use was definitely monitored so in the end I opted to rarely use the computer or personal internet use. But that time I had DSL at home anyhow so found other ways to [-]piddle around[/-] get things done during the day.

That's fairly standard practice. For security, email is one the main pathways for malware infection. Most also block facebook and social media ( time wasting ) sites.

That's fairly standard practice. For security, email is one the main pathways for malware infection. Most also block facebook and social media ( time wasting ) sites.

Exactly. This is quite within the employer's rights. Just get a basic smartphone. Sounds like you can afford it. If you work in an environment where it is OK to have your phone on, you are fortunate.

While gainfully employed I always practiced safe email and safe browsing (an impermeable barrier between personal and work activities to shield and protect against unintended consequences) and urge all others to do the same.

There is nothing to be gained by doing personal email and browsing at work or while using the employer's resources. Much in the same way one uses a firewall to protect against virus and malware. it is in the best interest of the employee to avoid unnecessary employer exposure to their personal lives.

Now there is even no reason to do so, given the availability of mobile devices and connections. If cost is an issue one should be even more cautious and not do something that might compromise one's employment.

I got a Samsung Galaxy about 2 years ago - I would not be w/o it now. Very useful and great pics. I got it for $50 at Costco and pay $50 per month w/ 500 free minutes and unlimited texts/downloads. It was worth the cost for me -
I am in better contact with my kids and some friends with it as well

Have you tried using a personal VPN service? If the VPN is engaged before attempting to connect to your email account your privacy is protected from corporate network snooping. One downside is they may block the ports these services typically use. There are some ways around that, but it can get complicated. I included a web link to some reviews of these VPN services and their monthly expenses. Good luck.

Top 10 Best VPN Services

I remember complaining to IT about how slow our internet had become at work in spite of continually upgrading bandwidth. The IT manager produced a report showing the applications taking up the most bandwidth - streaming audio/video programs like Hulu were sucking the pipeline dry.

Taking up less content, but still actively being used - Facebook.

Then I would hear how overworked people are because we don't have sufficient levels of staffing for people to do their jobs, in spite of the fact that we had far more personnel for our size than similar companies in our industry.

So I may have to lean toward siding with the company on this one. You give people freedom and sometimes it gets abused.

I remember complaining to IT about how slow our internet had become at work in spite of continually upgrading bandwidth. The IT manager produced a report showing the applications taking up the most bandwidth - streaming audio/video programs like Hulu were sucking the pipeline dry.

Taking up less content, but still actively being used - Facebook.

Then I would hear how overworked people are because we don't have sufficient levels of staffing for people to do their jobs, in spite of the fact that we had far more personnel for our size than similar companies in our industry.

So I may have to lean toward siding with the company on this one. You give people freedom and sometimes it gets abused.
Streaming is the worst, but we also found some employees were on eBay or various Sports websites WAY too much - probably none would have been appropriate.

The Verizon smart phone will do all you want, especially for just reading email. I finally upgraded form the dark ages phone to a smart phone myself. It works good for most things ii want, but I hate typing on the phone for reply or searching for something. I mainly use it to check email and read only.

Two main reasons why co restricts the email:
1) Email, especially web-based like gmail or yahoo mail, are prime sources for malware and viruses entry into the co computers.
2) Many applications use a lot of bandwidth, easiest to just restrict access to keep work related processes running smooth.

Brow beat employees and treat them like children; that'll improve morale and productivity...

It's a normal way of doing things some places...

Attachments

• beatings.JPG
    beatings.JPG
    31 KB · Views: 15
+1. Managers get really tired of having to waste their time trying to administer internet privileges to individual employees. And MegaCorps don't want their managers to waste time, they have better things to do, so MegaCorps just do company wide bans. Sometimes what's practical and what employees would like don't mesh - that's life.

Let's do away with the strike through so we can stop beating around the bush, shall we?

I am sure all of these measures are the acme of convenience for management. I am sure that you were able to cite the dollars saved, incremental productivity, etc. Did anyone bother to wonder what effect this might have on the morale of the drones below them? Wonder if perhaps all these little incremental chopping off of toes might increase turnover? The title of this thread is "Work is Prison." Does that paint a picture to you?

Times have changed. My tech friends acknowledge that corporate networks must be secured and cannot allow computer computers accessing social media sites as well as other ISP's for email.

I would suggest you completely separate personal from work - from here on - everything. Too much spying going on everywhere.

Back
Top Bottom