Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Work is the new retirement
Old 04-23-2005, 04:03 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

"The majority of wounds are self-inflicted"............
this is true in all venues IMHO. Pogo got it right

JG

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2005, 04:11 AM   #22

Quote:
My wife and I self financed two B.S.'s and a Masters, ended up 60k in debt, and turned that around in 4 years to 100k in savings, plus we own our house.
The majority of wounds are self-inflicted but its that kind of personal responsibility that you can be proud of.

Old 04-23-2005, 04:30 AM   #23

Work the new retirement? dont think so. I still can't this memory out of RAM:

Last year I was impatiently waiting for tires to be installed at Sears, when an obviously older woman with a clipboard started asking me about vinyl siding. Seeing more here than a sales pitch, and not to mention that I didn't need siding and the car was still not on the rack, I asked the un-askable question, "How did you wind up at Sears canvassing customers?". Sad stock market story...but theres hope, she said. She's now lending whats left to local land developers at 10% because they dont easily qualify for bank loans. yikes!

Work is not the new retirement, its the non retirement.

BUM
Old 04-23-2005, 04:37 AM   #24

Hello BUM. I hear you man. Every day I see folks way older than me (I'm no kid any more) passing out chips and cheese at the supermarket, greeting at Wal-Mart,
working at McDonalds, etc.
Maybe some do it out of boredom, but I'll bet there are a lot of interesting stories
from the others.

JG
Old 04-23-2005, 10:14 AM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Due to the health concerns involved with all these pills, I'm going to start a business offering a safe alternative.

It consists of two popsicle sticks and a roll of tape. Prescription only. $54 per 'kit'.

What a turn for the nurse this thread has taken...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 11:01 AM   #26

It would be a "big" seller. I firmly believe that.
No stiff competition and you don't need to blow your wad on inventory. Everyone...........insert your ideas.

I am ready to get back on topic. How about y'all?

JG
Old 04-23-2005, 12:25 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Well after that "punneling" we better!

Being too young to know, was there a time that people really just worked and spent everything they earned, safe in the knowledge their company would provide a pension? I know there were particular jobs out there like that, but was that an all ecompassing mentality back in the day? I know people can paint a rosier picture of things than really existed. Several of you hit it on the head, we Gen X'ers think we are on our own, no safety net but the one we make. It seems among my peers we have a slow stratification as the "winners" pull away and the "losers" fall back. I have had some friends say they plan to work until they die, resigned to their fate at 30! :P
Old 04-23-2005, 01:03 PM   #28

Laurence, there use to be a time when long
loyalty between employer and employee was
more the norm, but I don't believe that long
pensions were normal simply because of
shorter life spans. Maybe for a few years after
WWII your premise was true for a few but certainly
not the many. Only a few generations ago we
were an agrarian society and depended on family
to support us when we were old and worn out.
We had bigger families then and were not nearly
as mobile.

Cheers,

Charlie
Old 04-23-2005, 02:04 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

You know, I was just thinking about that. How people use to measure wealth by landowning, you were secure if you had plenty of farmland to grow food on and trade with. Thoughts are floating in my mind of the average Joe going from serf to sharecropper, to farmowner, to industrial revolution wage slave, wealth being less tangible now than ever. I'm just babbling, but I feel on the edge of an epiphany on our relationship with the world around us. In fact the only reason I'm writing this semi-nonsensical post is I'm hoping someone throw out there own thoughts that might trigger my brain, I feel like I have a splinter in my mind (Matrix reference).
Old 04-23-2005, 02:18 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

There was a dude(Kelso?) a long while back(1940's ) wanted to make everybody a capitalist - shareholder in the business - not just a wage slave. People's Capitalism or something was the name of his book.
Old 04-23-2005, 04:07 PM   #31
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
...wage slave...
The first factories in the US had a hard time getting farmers to work in them, so they obtained children who were wards of the state (orphanages) to man the machines. Of course, once the machines took over farming, they had no choice but to move to the big city and work in the factories.
Old 04-23-2005, 04:35 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Louis O. Kelso: 1913 - 1991, "father of the ESOP" , according to one review of his stuff on Amazon, pretty turgid as a writer. ESOP the world including public employee's - ??make everybody a capitalist??

I'll stick with the Norwegian widow! Heh, heh, heh.

Of course if you are young - to the baricades! Shares in hand or something like that.
Old 04-23-2005, 06:15 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Well it's a place for me to start. You ever get that though, it's like a word on the tip of your tongue, only it's an idea on the edge of your mind. Maybe it's just the salsa I had last night.

But it all just circles around to why we want to (or have) ER'd. Self determination. Others read westerns or play video games to pretend they are bold individuals who are in control of their destiny. We prefer the real thing!
Old 04-23-2005, 07:42 PM   #34

Laurencewill,
I'll take a jab at the splinter in your brain --

It's all about people having enough imagination to think about what they really want to do in their lives. Work becomes like an addiction, a crutch, a choice unconsciously or consciously made because it's too hard to peer through the fog and figure out what you'd actually do with your life if you had it back. Or too scary to contemplate.

Of course people who have figured out the ER way of life, and are just needing some more years to work the plan, are exempted from this description.

THere is another point, though, too. Work isn't always dreadful, in fact sometiimes it can make you feel like you are accomplishing something useful and satisfying. So some people hang in there working looking for that feeling. I think even ERs can have some of that feeling with a carefully chosen paid or unpaid avocation.

One other point -- I used to be aware that I would overspend on vacation and come back to work feeling, "at least I know why I'm here this month -- to pay for all that vacation", and it somehow seemed to take my mind off what I didn't like about being at work. Sort of like a co-dependency or something -- more and more I think of the work-and-overspend thing as a national addiction.

ER's have looked the beast in the eye and said, 'no thanks'.