Join Early Retirement Today

work party gone wild
Old 12-12-2009, 05:41 PM   #1

work party gone wild

Well, last night our little department had a work party that started at the inpatient director's house...oh boy...what a night!

I am the oldest person in our department. The rest of them are all in their 20's, a few are in their early 30's. So, as the evening progressed to riding around from bar to bar in a limo...DH and I did our very best to keep up with the "youngin's"...LOL! They had us out until 4 a.m. drinking and dancing. Egads! I have spent the entire day on the couch recovering...hangovers just get tougher and tougher to recover from...uggh! However I am proud to say we kept up pace with the crew, and I dare say I outdanced a few!

Anyways, I just had a very funny flashback from the evening that I wanted to share. So we are all jamming to their music in the limo - mostly hip-hop, pop - when all of a sudden, they put on Journey's "Don't Stop Believin" full blast, and they all start singing their hearts out! DH and I just looked at each other like, huh? That song was popular when I was in highschool...hello? From what I understand, this song has become a pop culture icon with the youngsters. Who knew? What a surreal experience.

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-12-2009, 06:19 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
....I am the oldest person in our department. The rest of them are all in their 20's, a few are in their early 30's. So, as the evening progressed to riding around from bar to bar in a limo...DH and I did our very best to keep up with the "youngin's"...LOL! They had us out until 4 a.m. drinking and dancing. Egads! I have spent the entire day on the couch recovering...hangovers just get tougher and tougher to recover from...uggh! However I am proud to say we kept up pace with the crew, and I dare say I outdanced a few! .....
Just be sure when ya go back in to work, and they ask ya how ya felt the next morning, tell 'em you were up at about 8am, had a nice breakfast and did what you always do the rest of the day! They ask about a hangover just say, "Hangover? Heck NO!!! Ain't had one of those since we were your age!!!"

IOW...just flat out lie....they'll get the idea that age brings even more added benefits, and they'll be none the wiser to ya!
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 06:30 PM   #3
Gone but not forgotten

I would much rather be at a party gone wild than a party gone to boredom . The problem with aging is those wild parties get to be fewer and fewer so enjoy them and keep on dancing til dawn .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 07:16 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie View Post
Just be sure when ya go back in to work, and they ask ya how ya felt the next morning, tell 'em you were up at about 8am, had a nice breakfast and did what you always do the rest of the day! They ask about a hangover just say, "Hangover? Heck NO!!! Ain't had one of those since we were your age!!!"

IOW...just flat out lie....they'll get the idea that age brings even more added benefits, and they'll be none the wiser to ya!
I like that strategy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I would much rather be at a party gone wild than a party gone to boredom . The problem with aging is those wild parties get to be fewer and fewer so enjoy them and keep on dancing til dawn .
I will keep on dancing as long as these legs will let me!!!!

Old 12-12-2009, 08:23 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Sorry, simple girl, that's not wild. Wild would be if several of them were having sex in the bathroom or the limo or something.
Old 12-12-2009, 08:43 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurice View Post
Sorry, simple girl, that's not wild. Wild would be if several of them were having sex in the bathroom or the limo or something.
Well, you will just have to use your imagination then...

I don't kiss and tell!

Old 12-12-2009, 08:53 PM   #7

Sounds like u had a blast!

Many old skool songs are being revived by karaoke and rock band...I've seen 8 year olds belting eye of the tiger @ bday parties w/ rock band!

My 3 year old was singing along to a bon jovi song that was playing somewhere (older one from the 80's) and a lady stopped in her tracks and looked at her and said, "how does she know that song!" - had to confess we were a karaoke family !!
Old 12-12-2009, 08:55 PM   #8
Administrator

Sounds like a blast. It's been a long time since since I partied like that with Hughie and Ruth paying a visit at the end of the festivities.
Old 12-12-2009, 09:15 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I agree with Moe....party on down!

So many parties....not enough time.

A long time ago, two other couples and yours truly chaperoned a high school graduation party. Ahhhhh...man, it was so much fun. I was in my mid 20's and tried to be a 'cool' chaperone letting the kids enjoy themselves. I thought I was cool because some of the guys asked me to dance. Then after a while I realized they thought I was an old phart...they were trying to get my attention away from the back door where the booze was being brought in.

That's when I really had to put my old phart hat on and start clearing out the booze.

Ehhh...for a while I felt like a teenager again.
Old 12-12-2009, 09:26 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
A long time ago, two other couples and yours truly chaperoned a high school graduation party. Ahhhhh...man, it was so much fun. I was in my mid 20's and tried to be a 'cool' chaperone letting the kids enjoy themselves. I thought I was cool because some of the guys asked me to dance. Then after a while I realized they thought I was an old phart...they were trying to get my attention away from the back door where the booze was being brought in.
Oh man! That's wrong! Oh well, sounds like you made them pay for it!

Old 12-12-2009, 09:30 PM   #11

funny you mention that...i was at a christmas party today and saw a 6 or 7 yr old singing a sing (the name escapes me right now) that he should NOt know...definitely early 80's....it was really wierd
thefed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 09:39 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Oh man! That's wrong! Oh well, sounds like you made them pay for it!
Sure it was wrong...but between you, me and the lamp post, I would have done the same thing...

I can just see 'em now...they're in their 40's talkin' about the cool graduation party they tried to have and how the old bag ruined it.
Old 12-13-2009, 05:38 AM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Well, you will just have to use your imagination then...

I don't kiss and tell!

Old 12-13-2009, 08:49 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Anyways, I just had a very funny flashback from the evening that I wanted to share. So we are all jamming to their music in the limo - mostly hip-hop, pop - when all of a sudden, they put on Journey's "Don't Stop Believin" full blast, and they all start singing their hearts out! DH and I just looked at each other like, huh? That song was popular when I was in highschool...hello? From what I understand, this song has become a pop culture icon with the youngsters. Who knew? What a surreal experience.
Like a HS graduation party we went to last summer (son of a good friend of DW's) and one of the 18 year olds was wearing what appeared to be a well worn Led Zeppelin T-shift. Huh? DW and I wondered if it was a hand me down from his Dad since he wasn't even alive when Led Zeppelin walked the earth.

Not a party, but just so happens we went to bar to listen to a band with some work folks last night too, something we don't do (that late) anymore. Unfortunately we only made it to 12:15am, so I guess we're not as wild as most...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 09:38 AM   #15
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
. Unfortunately we only made it to 12:15am, so I guess we're not as wild as most...

Anything after 11PM is wild & crazy to me anymore ! How sad !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 07:49 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Sounds like the young folks have it right. I always sing along with "Don't Stop Believing" when it comes on the air.
Old 12-16-2009, 08:10 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
I agree with Moe....party on down!

So many parties....not enough time.

That's when I really had to put my old phart hat on and start clearing out the booze.

Ehhh...for a while I felt like a teenager again.
Did they SHARE the booze with you??

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 08:45 AM   #18
gone traveling

I am sure that BbbbamI took her chaperone duties seriously, and CONFISCATED all the booze the little hellions were trying to sneak into the dance. .. and then took it home and poured it out...
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 09:13 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

I have sworn off "work parties" after an incident about 5 years ago. Our workplace was composed of many single guys in their mid to late 20's. I was known as "old man" there, so they always teased me about going out and "having fun". One day they wanted to party and told me they wanted me to come along to a microbrewery, which I agreed to.

Well, after a couple beers, they all decided to go to another bar, and I joined them. We ended up at a bar called "Have a Nice Day Cafe", esentially a meat market for the 21-30 year old crowd. To say it was interesting is being sublime. The only person in the bar close to my age was the owner, so I sidled up to the bar and drank a few while the kids were drinking and trying to pick up women.

Interestingly enough, a few young women approached me at the bar and started hitting on me. They were very upfront about it. When I politely told one no, and that I was old enough to be her father, her reply was; "Who cares, my last boyfriend was 47, and he was married"............

Young women these days are aggressive.............

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 11:19 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Interestingly enough, a few young women approached me at the bar and started hitting on me. They were very upfront about it. When I politely told one no, and that I was old enough to be her father, her reply was; "Who cares, my last boyfriend was 47, and he was married"............

Young women these days are aggressive.............
Wow, that IS aggressive!