Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-03-2011, 03:39 PM   #81
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50
And yet, if DW nests two bowls and runs it, and I leave the one that now has baked on crud on the counter for her as an example of what poor packing leads to, it's somehow my fault? Such is life.

-ERD50
You know when she murders you, no jury will find her guilty.
Well, I never purchased a big life insurance policy. Why temp fate?

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2011, 07:24 PM   #82
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Can you tell me why your dishes must be put away by color? I have Fiestaware in 4 colors and it never occurred to me that the red plates would be sad if they were intermixed with the yellow or blue ones.

And as for some of you guys--your wives are saints is all I can say. I married an equal slacker and we seem to always have at least enough clean dishes to eat and drink.

It's OK to not put them away all reds, all yellows, etc. But you do have to keep the order the same (red, yellow, green, blue, red, yellow, green, blue, etc). Otherwise, the world will dissolve into chaos.

Old 02-03-2011, 08:37 PM   #83
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Can you tell me why your dishes must be put away by color? I have Fiestaware in 4 colors and it never occurred to me that the red plates would be sad if they were intermixed with the yellow or blue ones.

I love fiesta ware . It takes so much abuse and still looks great ! Of course I only have red no mixing dishes for me !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 08:54 PM   #84
Moderator Emeritus

Hopefully you guys don't eat out of radioactive red fiesta ware

YouTube - Geiger Counter Measuring Vintage Radioactive Red Fiestaware Dinner Plate
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:15 PM   #85
Give me a forum ...

I'm going to be totally honest here about my Fiestaware. I started with red, only wanted red, but my mother in law, when told by DH that I liked it, decided that since I didn't seem to match anything else (her explanation), that I must want unmatched Fiestaware and bought me place settings in green, blue, and yellow. While I was irritated, I'm too cheap to pass up free tableware.
So thanks y'all for reminding me that my MIL doesn't think I match, LOL! And to be honest, I do kinda like the other colors, sorta.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:24 PM   #86
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FD View Post

YouTube - Geiger Counter Measuring Vintage Radioactive Red Fiestaware Dinner Plate
We've got a bunch of old (pre-war) Fiestaware from DW's grandmother. I took some of the red dishes in to the lab back in college. You can definitely detect the radioactivity in the red plates, but my research after that found that it's basically background radiation levels. Not dangerous. We don't eat off them, though. Too valuable. So they are in the garage in boxes (neatly stacked in order of color), waiting for the day we run out of money and have to sell them on eBay.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:16 PM   #87
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

They switched to depleted uranium starting in 1959 for red Fiestaware when the US government released it's block on civilian use, so you're safer, knowing that the red coloring agent has passed through many stages of centrifuges to separate out the more potent bits.

I like the look of uranium glass, myself.
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 03:35 AM   #88
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Living on my own, I do the dishwasher myself too (but in my case it is not important that the dishes be sorted by color). However, I have begun a new relationship with a great woman recently. And when she comes over to my place during weekends, she takes care of the dishes and cleaning. I am so lucky !

Quote:
Originally Posted by bssc View Post
I do the dishwasher myself because that way, I get the results that I want and I don't have to supervise anyone.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 08:24 AM   #89
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Can you tell me why your dishes must be put away by color?
Segregation?
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 09:41 AM   #90
Recycles dryer sheets

I emptied the dish washer this morning.

Oh, sorry, I thought this was the "what did you do today" thread.

t.r.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:48 AM   #91
Moderator Emeritus

The real question is: do you pre-wash the dishes before loading them in the dishwasher?
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 10:33 AM   #92
Give me a forum ...

Since this has devolved morphed rambled into a dishwasher thread, I'll relate a tip. My dishwasher started making horrendous noises and quit getting the dishes clean. I checked the filter and it initially seemed OK, but on closer inspection the micro fine screen was plugged with the remains of a jar label. It seems the glue on the jar label dissolves enough to plant itself firmly on the fine screen.

Oh, and yea, I do most of the household chores for my w*rking DW, including properly loading the dishwasher.

No Fiestaware.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 10:42 AM   #93
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
The real question is: do you pre-wash the dishes before loading them in the dishwasher?
Oh yes, I do. Wondered whether anyone would mention that. Actually, we only run the dishwasher every other day. I always hand wash pots and pans (lots of cast iron, most is enameled) and I never put knives in the dishwasher. I can't stand the thought of "residue" on the dishes sitting in the dishwasher overnight, so everything gets rinsed in the hot soapy dishwater.

DH is responsible for drying what I hand wash and for unloading the dishwasher He takes offense if I hand wash everything. DH much prefers to unload dry dishes from the dishwasher.

As for how it's loaded, don't get me started. I learned a long time ago not to complain when someone is helping. I (almost) never re-arrange what he puts in the dishwasher...actually, I try not to even look.
Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 11:43 AM   #94
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Why would the appliance still be eligible for the name "dishwasher"?

We put our dishes in straight from the table (or wherever they're found). As empty nesters we seem to be running the dishwasher every 10-14 days. About the only thing it won't clean right the first time, with no rinsing, is microwaved egg batter.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 12:06 PM   #95
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Spray with warm water only so the fine mesh screen in the sink catches the food particles, not the dishwasher's filter.
No soap was involved in the making of this dishwasher movie.