Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-16-2016, 04:55 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Walter White's Construction Co.
Not watching TV anymore, I don't always get the pop culture references.

For anyone else in the same boat apparently Walter White is the main protagonist of Breaking Bad.

/* End PSA Announcement */

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2016, 10:08 AM   #22

Speaking of work vans, when my Dad was still in business, he had one of those sweet Chattanooga Customs conversion vans. We obviously used it for vacation and weekend trips, but most of the time it was used as his work truck...filled to the brim with HVAC/refrigeration tools of the trade. As I grew older, I asked him why this was and he said "there is no damn way I am buying two vans!" I guess it helped that in all his years of business ownership, he never advertised, so there weren't gaudy advertisements all over the sweet van. It looked very similar to this...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (41.6 KB, 6 views)

Old 09-17-2016, 10:17 AM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzy View Post
I know but I could see a handyman making a good living with a full workload.
I know a handyman that does just that...he is a drywall mudder for a local builder which is about half of his workload. The other half is made up of "handyman" type work that alone would provide him a decent living.
Old 09-17-2016, 11:47 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtn View Post
I'm thinking leased cars!

When times are hard you can live in your car but you can't drive your house!
Leasing makes fine sense if the rate is agreeable and you enjoy driving newish cars. DF has been doing this since 2009 and he swears it's cheaper than buying and selling every couple of years.

And In my experience, a good craftsman who shows up on time and does quality work and is willing to travel a bit always has a gig lined up. Just gotta be careful and lucky enough to avoid injury.
Old 09-17-2016, 06:55 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadshort52 View Post
.... For instance I recently finished a project for a doctor who owns a specialty clinic. He owes me $6600.00 and wont admit it directly but all but says he cant afford to pay me all at once. He has been making $500.00 a month payments to me. He lives in the biggest house I have ever seen. there are turrets on all four corners, in door waterfalls, 22' high ceilings and of course a tennis court among many other things. He puts on the show with his brand new BMW, his wife's Lexus and a Denali Suburban just to pull the twin engine boat to the 6500 sqft. lake cabin. I am not into shoes like the original poster so I would have no idea about what designer shoes he wears but I am sure there are plenty in his closet. This guy had me fooled. I thought he would be able to afford to pay me upon completion. I think his money is tied up in fancy material things that impress his buddies along with private schools for his kids and of course every electronic doodad ever made. He is basically broke but I bet no one looks at him and says "he must be in debt up to his eyeballs".
Or he is like the Doctor I worked for and while rich (obviously), he is too cheap to pay up front and in full. He would have his wife pay us, as it was too difficult for him to part with his money. Or maybe because paying us was not a status symbol like paying for a new BMW
Old 09-17-2016, 06:59 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooch96 View Post
Leasing makes fine sense if the rate is agreeable and you enjoy driving newish cars. DF has been doing this since 2009 and he swears it's cheaper than buying and selling every couple of years.
Leasing is really worth it, if you are self employed as it's a direct expense per year, making it an income tax free expense.
Old 09-17-2016, 07:17 PM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

You guys waiting for your money, have you looked into filing liens? Great leverage and it establishes a hard claim that is very difficult to expunge unless satisfied. State laws vary, but usually there are local lawyers who specialize and do it cheap. Wealthy or nominally high status people often think that slow pay is part of their due in my experience.

No reason a "handyman" or hard working small contractor can't make a good living. What they drive is then up to them. And if they sense that their customers look down on them or insist on low compensation to buoy the customer's own self perceived status, they may, and should decline to take the work.
Old 09-17-2016, 08:32 PM   #28

Yeah, unless you worked out a deal with the doc in advance for the payments, slap a lien on his palace. Or make sure he pays 24% interest.

Amazing.