Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

World Best Recipe for Kung Pao Chicken
Old 06-17-2006, 09:27 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

World Best Recipe for Kung Pao Chicken

I've eaten Kung Pao Chicken probably 20 time here in Chinatown and never got the same thing twice.* I know cooks have to take a lot of short cuts in resturants so if you are a Chinese food lover, this recipe will make you happy.

It was given to me by someone who lived in Cheng Du, China and was a Szechuan cook.* *It looks complicated but after doing it once you will find it a lot easier.

4 Skinless chicken brests
10 Birdseye (Thai) Chili Peppers (slender 3 inch long, bright red)
10 Shallots (green onions) - cut into 1 inch long pieces
8 Cloves of fresh garlic - crush and dice finely
2 inch long piece of ginger root - peel and dice very finely
1/2 cup of sugar
Planters Dry roasted peanuts
Sichuan Peppercorns (called numb spice)
Bottle of Peanut Oil
Bottle of Sesame Oil
Box of Cornstarch
Bottle of Soy Sauce
Bottle of Rice Wine Vinegar

Cooking is a series of seperate steps;
1. Make a marinade for the chicken
Make a marinade of 2 TS each of water, soy sauce and constrach (should be caramel color and just thicker than water)
2. Prepare a sauce for final step of cooking
Mix 2 TS of Rice Wine Vinegar, Soy Sauce, 1/2 TS of Sesame Oil and 2 TS of Cornstarch
3. Prepare caramalized sugar syrup. By far the hardest part of the recipe.
In a teflon coated large skillet put a 1/2 cup sugar and 1 cup water. Slowly, very slowly heat till this turns medium brown and is still runny. Quickly get it out of the hot pan in into a large bowl.

Start 3 cups of peanut oil heating in a heavy Teflon coated wok (prefer flat bottom)
Get to a temp just below its smoking point.

Pound the chicken breast with a spiked meat mallet till nearly mush (very important,don't skip)
Cut the mushy chicken bresast into bite size pieces.

In a large bowl thoroughly coat the chicken pieces with the marinade.

Now put the chicken into the hot oil and use a big basket type spoon to swirl it around for just a few seconds, just enough to stick the marinade. Remove and put back in same bowl. Make sure the chicken isn't sticking toghether.

Pour all the oil from the wok but leave the wok surface oily, now,remove the stem and seeds, cut into 1 inch pieces and add the 10 red chili peppers to the oily wok and stir over medium heat till the brown, add the Sichuan pepper corns and stir for a few seconds to release their flavor, then add garlic and ginger. Stir these ingredients for just enough time to infuse the garlic and ginger into the oil.

Turn up the heat, meanwhile put the marinated chicken into the bowl of caramalized sugar syrup and mix with your left hand only make sure all pieces are coated.

Put the chicken into the wok, and with you clean right hand start stiring/mixing the chicken to coat all pices with the spices, now add the shallots, cook for a few seconds, pour in the sauce mixture made earlier, stir, stir stir. Toss on the peanuts.
OldAgePensioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: World Best Recipe for Kung Pao Chicken
Old 06-17-2006, 09:31 AM   #2

Wow - sounds good. I'm going to save it for some day when I am feeling energetic about cooking.
Sheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 09:35 AM   #3

Sheryl,
this is so different than what you get in restuarants and the guy who cooked this for our pot lucks at work, won every time. He got the Colonel's parking pass for a month.

The guy would bring a huge dish of this and it would be gone in seconds.

It gives a nice smoky, warn-to-hot finish and the flavor is really nice.
Old 06-17-2006, 12:32 PM   #4

The recipe looks wonderful. I was thinking of going to get a chinese lunch today. Hmmm, wonder if I feel like cooking instead.
KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 12:47 PM   #5

KB,
I just early lunch at Kam Lok on Washington St in Chinatown. I was the first and only customer so they kept the kitchen doors open and I could see them cooking. Interesting. They have about 6 big holes in a giant hot plate and a gas flame shooting up out of it. When they put the oil in my Kung Pao chicken they allow the flame to catch the oil on fire.

The Kung Pao tasted fine but it had zuccini and bell peppers in it. That's not Kung Pao. They are just putting vegetable filler and color in.

That recipe above will make you happy but it's a bit of work.
Old 06-18-2006, 03:25 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Hi OAP:

Kung Pao Chicken is one of my favorite Chinese dishes, too. I tried a couple of recipes on the internet last year, but I was not that impressed (it was probably my own poor cooking techniques that were to blame). Will try out the authentic recipe you have listed here/on your Blog.

Just today, I made about 100 "potstickers" - Chinese-style dumplings with ground pork/shredded cabbage fillings. Ate a dozen and froze the rest. Came out pretty tasty.

Next time I am in San Franciso, will try "Joy Hing BBQ Noodle House" and/or "Louie's Dim Sum" on Stockton.

I continue to read and view your San Francisco Blog; it is my entertainment "fix" for the day. Thanks! Even enjoyed the "fine arts" section.

Toejam
Toejam is offline   Reply With Quote