Join Early Retirement Today

World Cup Football/Soccer 2018
Old 06-09-2018, 09:19 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

World Cup Football/Soccer 2018

I thought it time to resurrect this thread that has lay dormant for almost 4 years. Next Thursday begins once again the world's most widely viewed sports spectacle, the World Cup!

Russia will face the Saudi Arabia side in the tournament's opening match.

Matchday 1 has some interesting fixtures. All eyes will be on Spain vs Portugal but for my money, the Argentina vs Iceland match could be a very entertaining one. Iceland has demonstrated resilience since shocking the football world by advancing to the quarterfinals of the Euro Cup two years ago and then subsequently topping their qualifying group (arguably not the strongest), earning them an automatic birth into the 2018 World Cup.

Among the favorites to win it all - according to the prognosticators - include the usual suspects, Germany, Brazil, Spain and France. Personally, I like the Belgian side's chances of making the semis in this World Cup. They have quality throughout their 10 field players though goalkeeping may be a weak link.

Predictions anyone?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2018, 09:21 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I think you should have started a new thread....

Texas Proud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 12:01 PM   #3

Moderator has moved these posts to a new thread for World Cup 2018 to make it easier/more concise to follow.

And I will definitely be rooting for Iceland, with Germany as a backup, since the USA is absent.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 12:45 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Go Italy!
Old 06-09-2018, 12:48 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Go Italy!

Along with USA! USA!
Old 06-09-2018, 02:50 PM   #6

You guys are nuts... it's gonna be The Netherlands all the way !!!!!!

Old 06-09-2018, 04:44 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koogie View Post
You guys are nuts... it's gonna be The Netherlands all the way !!!!!!
Only if they can get by Chile.
Old 06-09-2018, 06:47 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Since my DW is over there watching and spent good money (IMO) on an Argentine jersey I am going to go with them...

I just finished watching the US team tie France in a friendly... a bit surprising as France is one of the teams that is up there... France also played MUCH better than USA but could not score... and they had many chances...
Texas Proud is online now   Reply With Quote
Arriba Peru!!!!!
Old 06-09-2018, 07:14 PM   #9

Arriba Peru!!!!!

Just watched Peru win their 9th friendly in a row against Sweden. Paolo Guerrero just got the nod last week that he will not be banned in the World Cup as originally thought. Arriba Peru!!!!
NYEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 05:17 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
I just finished watching the US team tie France in a friendly... a bit surprising as France is one of the teams that is up there... France also played MUCH better than USA but could not score... and they had many chances...
There is a lot of upside to this very young and very talented group of U.S. players. A number of them are playing for top clubs in Europe. 19-year-old Tyler Adams, currently based in MLS with NY Red Bulls will soon be making a move to the Bundesliga.
Old 06-10-2018, 05:25 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYEXPAT View Post
Just watched Peru win their 9th friendly in a row against Sweden. Paolo Guerrero just got the nod last week that he will not be banned in the World Cup as originally thought. Arriba Peru!!!!
In a qualifying group that includes the Aussies and Denmark, Peru should be able to see their way through to the knockout stage.
Old 06-10-2018, 06:10 AM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

Switzerland has drawn...what?--Brazil, for the first matchday! That will inspire confidence. Then Serbia, and finally Costa Rica. Recent WC performance: 2006, Round of 16; 2010: Group Stage; 2014: Round of 16. Hey, I like our chances :-)

-BB
Old 06-10-2018, 06:24 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Barnfellow View Post
Switzerland has drawn...what?--Brazil, for the first matchday! That will inspire confidence. Then Serbia, and finally Costa Rica. Recent WC performance: 2006, Round of 16; 2010: Group Stage; 2014: Round of 16. Hey, I like our chances :-)

-BB
DW & I are living in Costa Rica this year and without a U.S. side to cheer on in this WC, we'll instead be rooting for the Ticos.
Old 06-10-2018, 06:51 AM   #14
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by candrew View Post
DW & I are living in Costa Rica this year and without a U.S. side to cheer on in this WC, we'll instead be rooting for the Ticos.
Well, I guess we'll see you on game day then. And may the better German, French, and Italian speaking team win! :-)

-BB
Old 06-10-2018, 07:41 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Just watched Peru win their 9th friendly in a row against Sweden.

Didn't the game end in a tie, 0-0?

Sweden vs. Peru - Football Match Stats - June 9, 2018 - ESPN
george76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 10:46 PM   #16

Sadly for me the Netherlands, Finalist in 2014, Third place in 2010, Round of 16 in 2006, didn't make the grade. Just hoping to see some entertaining matches.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 08:31 AM   #17

I'd like to see a Brazil/Germany final. I think one of these two would win the cup. Brazil with their offensively skilled players against Germany's all around skilled players would be a great final.......
Corporateburnout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 03:31 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by candrew View Post
In that case you will be watching the "Copa Mundial"!
Old 06-11-2018, 03:35 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by george76 View Post
Yeah, my mistake! After 28 years of not qualifying we have become used to calling a tie a win!
Old 06-11-2018, 03:39 PM   #20

Quote:
In that case you will be watching the "Copa Mundial"!
Simon ese!!

ˇPura Vida!