World Cup Football/Soccer 2018

candrew

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I thought it time to resurrect this thread that has lay dormant for almost 4 years. Next Thursday begins once again the world's most widely viewed sports spectacle, the World Cup!

Russia will face the Saudi Arabia side in the tournament's opening match.

Matchday 1 has some interesting fixtures. All eyes will be on Spain vs Portugal but for my money, the Argentina vs Iceland match could be a very entertaining one. Iceland has demonstrated resilience since shocking the football world by advancing to the quarterfinals of the Euro Cup two years ago and then subsequently topping their qualifying group (arguably not the strongest), earning them an automatic birth into the 2018 World Cup.

Among the favorites to win it all - according to the prognosticators - include the usual suspects, Germany, Brazil, Spain and France. Personally, I like the Belgian side's chances of making the semis in this World Cup. They have quality throughout their 10 field players though goalkeeping may be a weak link.

Predictions anyone?

I think you should have started a new thread....

Moderator has moved these posts to a new thread for World Cup 2018 to make it easier/more concise to follow.

And I will definitely be rooting for Iceland, with Germany as a backup, since the USA is absent.

Last edited:
You guys are nuts... it's gonna be The Netherlands all the way !!!!!!

:cool:

:facepalm:

Since my DW is over there watching and spent good money (IMO) on an Argentine jersey I am going to go with them...

I just finished watching the US team tie France in a friendly... a bit surprising as France is one of the teams that is up there... France also played MUCH better than USA but could not score... and they had many chances...

Arriba Peru!!!!!

Just watched Peru win their 9th friendly in a row against Sweden. Paolo Guerrero just got the nod last week that he will not be banned in the World Cup as originally thought. Arriba Peru!!!!

I just finished watching the US team tie France in a friendly... a bit surprising as France is one of the teams that is up there... France also played MUCH better than USA but could not score... and they had many chances...

There is a lot of upside to this very young and very talented group of U.S. players. A number of them are playing for top clubs in Europe. 19-year-old Tyler Adams, currently based in MLS with NY Red Bulls will soon be making a move to the Bundesliga.

Just watched Peru win their 9th friendly in a row against Sweden. Paolo Guerrero just got the nod last week that he will not be banned in the World Cup as originally thought. Arriba Peru!!!!

In a qualifying group that includes the Aussies and Denmark, Peru should be able to see their way through to the knockout stage.

Switzerland has drawn...what?--Brazil, for the first matchday! That will inspire confidence. Then Serbia, and finally Costa Rica. Recent WC performance: 2006, Round of 16; 2010: Group Stage; 2014: Round of 16. Hey, I like our chances :)

-BB

Switzerland has drawn...what?--Brazil, for the first matchday! That will inspire confidence. Then Serbia, and finally Costa Rica. Recent WC performance: 2006, Round of 16; 2010: Group Stage; 2014: Round of 16. Hey, I like our chances :)

-BB

DW & I are living in Costa Rica this year and without a U.S. side to cheer on in this WC, we'll instead be rooting for the Ticos.

DW & I are living in Costa Rica this year and without a U.S. side to cheer on in this WC, we'll instead be rooting for the Ticos.

Well, I guess we'll see you on game day then. And may the better German, French, and Italian speaking team win! :)

-BB

Sadly for me the Netherlands, Finalist in 2014, Third place in 2010, Round of 16 in 2006, didn't make the grade. Just hoping to see some entertaining matches.

I'd like to see a Brazil/Germany final. I think one of these two would win the cup. Brazil with their offensively skilled players against Germany's all around skilled players would be a great final.......

I'd like to see a Brazil/Germany final. I think one of these two would win the cup. Brazil with their offensively skilled players against Germany's all around skilled players would be a great final.......

I'm thinking Brazil would prefer a different opponent considering the 7-1 shellacking they took from Germany in the 2014 WC semi. That match was over before the half.

I'm thinking Brazil would prefer a different opponent considering the 7-1 shellacking they took from Germany in the 2014 WC semi. That match was over before the half.

Or they want to revenge that ugly loss to the Germans. Brazil is the favorite to win followed by Germany, Spain and France.

Back
Top Bottom