World Cup in Berlin

ESRBob

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Logging in from Berlin where we are enjoying a few days of soccer (fussball) madness. Our 11-year old son came over with his soccer team courtesy of a German coach to play against other kids his age and generaly soak up the football culture over here during World Cup. We decided we had to come along, if only to sneak our own tour of Germany during the off-days. It has been great hanging out in the many cafes watching the games live on makeshift HDTV screens set up everywhere. Have never been that much of a sports fan, but this is different! No tix to the games themselves, but you feel the fever anywhere you go. Germans are nice and prices are lower than I'd expected.

Ein Pils, bitte. Best beer in the world. The food is pretty good too. Drink a few for me.

setab

Chris -- people were universally very nice there. We'd go back in a heartbeat. We saw lots of folks there who looked genuinely happy, some were downright jolly. Haven't seen nearly enough of that Stateside. Maybe I have to get out more?

Setab-- we drank lots of draft Pils and yes, it is something I'll miss. May be I'll have to sniff around our local bottle shop for some good bottled German beer, but I doubt it will taste the same as the local draft variety.

Just back today in NY and am preparing to go on a few days diet to recuperate from the tasty but rich food. I don't know how anyone in that country stays slim. Come to think of it, maybe there weren't any? For a week we figured we could treat ourselves, but now it's payback time. Good thing I had the cholesterol test a few weeks before heading over there ::)

Back
Top Bottom