Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-14-2014, 07:47 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by nun View Post
I saw nothing wrong with RVP's challenge on Casillas. It was robust, but Casillas was way out of position and should have been stronger.
+1

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2014, 09:06 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
What Rob said was to call a review when the ball has gone into the net but ruled out for offside. ( or vice versa) The game is already stopped. In the Mexico game today they scored from a corner but the goal was ruled offside because it was flicked on by the head of another player. Instant replay showed that it was a defender who headed the ball on, not an attacker. It was not offside and the goal should have stood. Very quick to determine what actually happened, the ref on the line had called offside because he saw the ball headed on but hadn't seen whose head it had made contact.

I can agree to a point.... something that is quick might be worth doing.... but that still leaves a big hole... there are many times where they call an offside when the guy might have a breakaway if the call was not made... you cannot let the game keep going to see if he would score and then call it back... and what about the various handballs not called... or even the fouls in the box (which BTW are not called a lot)... or the flops when a defender barely touches someone...

It might be good if someone did an experiment to determine how it would affect play...

Old 06-14-2014, 09:48 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
One of the goals that went in came after the Spanish goalkeeper was interfered with. That was called yesterday in Brazil vs Croatia game but not today. It would have not changed the outcome but it was yet another miss that led to a goal.

Alan clarified my position on offside call video review very clearly. The review can be done without disrupting flow of the game.

I did not see the one in the Brazil game.... but I did see Spain.... I did not think that he interfered... he has just as much right to the ball as the goalie...

BTW, I was looking to see the rules for interference of a goalie and could not find any...
Old 06-14-2014, 10:22 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
According to a mathematician I heard being interviewed on NPR the problems with bad calls in soccer is related to the low scores. If teams were scoring 4,5, or 6 goals a game, one bad call may not be that significant. But, when they win 1-0, or 2-1, or tie 1-1 or 0-0, one bad call is a big deal.
+1

I'm pretty much sports agnostic, but of course when a 'big game' comes around, especially if a local team is involved, everyone gets some exposure to it. Then I tend to look at the game more analytically, as a more detached observer, rather than a 'fan'.

And all the low scoring sports strike me as odd. A game with a typical 2-3 goals is subject to bad calls, and luck. It is luck when that ball hits the frame of the goal and falls in rather than out, but that's a big deal in a 2-3 goal game. It's hard to say the best team won if that determined the outcome.

The same thing happens in basketball, the ball might roll around the hoop and wither fall in or out. But in basketball, that happens many times, and on average, the better team will have it drop in more often.

For me, scoring in basketball, baseball, volleyball, and maybe (American) football are reasonable. Basketball is on the high side, IMO, too little emphasis on each point, American football maybe a little too much on each point. But hockey and soccer (ROW football) that low scoring is just crazy IMO, and removes any little interest I might have in those sports.

Not familiar with scoring in Rugby. They have rules?

-ERD50
Old 06-14-2014, 10:59 AM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

John Oliver's hilarious take down of FIFA
Last Week Tonight with John Oliver (HBO): FIFA and the World Cup - YouTube

I think referee mistakes are part of the game. Given how many decision they need to make in a fast moving game, it is amazing that they make so few mistakes.

Replays are so last century. They should be looking at real-time solutions like the goal-line sensors. Eg. Put sensors in the ball & players boots and make an off-side detector.
Old 06-14-2014, 11:13 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post

-ERD50
Pretty complicated rules which is why it is good to be able to hear the ref over his mike explaining why he gives his decisions, although he doesn't stop the game and explain it to the crowd like they do in American football.

Scoring in rugby is quite high, where you score 4 points for a touchdown and 3 points for a conversion (kick the ball between the posts) after a touchdown. More points for a conversion than in American Football because the kick is taken perpendicular from where the touchdown happened making it very difficult to kick through the posts if the touchdown was near the corner flag. Also a touchdown is different in that the ball has to be actually touched to ground with player still in control of the ball. A lot of video replays called by the ref are to determine if a touchdown happened.

Back to video replays in FIFA football, and I agree with TexasProud that I don't think they should be called except when play has stopped, not for anything subjective such as was the goalkeeper impeded, but for clear cut decisions such as the Mexico game when the pass to a forward player was clearly made by a defender, not another forward.

Goal line technology is finally in play after many bad decisions either awarding a goal when the ball did not cross the line or not awarding a goal when it should have been a goal. (Video replays in those cases would disrupt play if a goal had not been given but play continued). These days the ref has a monitor and hears an audible beep when the ball crosses the line. The crowd and TV audience get to see the cool video replay showing whether or not the ball crossed the line.
Old 06-14-2014, 11:31 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinwood View Post

Great video, Thank you
Old 06-14-2014, 02:39 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Just discovered a brand new English Style pub near me. It looks like it could be a set for a Midsommer Murders show. And the publican knows how to pour a Guinness. I may wander there to watch today's game England vs. Italy. Hopefully, I can get a seat.
Old 06-14-2014, 02:48 PM   #29

Just finishing talking to my sister in England. The shift she just did at a big grocery store (ASDA) was crazy with huge amounts of BBQ supplies being bought. Nice weather + England game = Party Time.

I told her that tomorrow there would be a run on antacids and pain killers. "Funny you should say that because the manager of the pharmacy section said that they are now seriously low on Alka Seltzer and soluble aspirin." At least folks are planning ahead
Old 06-14-2014, 06:42 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by nun View Post
I saw nothing wrong with RVP's challenge on Casillas. It was robust, but Casillas was way out of position and should have been stronger.
Neither one should be called or both should be called. It was an identical play (seen on slow mo). In both cases, it wasn't clear if the goalkeeper had a control of the ball before attacker interfered. If he was ruled to have control, a call should have been made. If not, it was a fair ball for either player.
Old 06-14-2014, 09:11 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
+1

I'm pretty much sports agnostic, but of course when a 'big game' comes around, especially if a local team is involved, everyone gets some exposure to it. Then I tend to look at the game more analytically, as a more detached observer, rather than a 'fan'.

And all the low scoring sports strike me as odd. A game with a typical 2-3 goals is subject to bad calls, and luck. It is luck when that ball hits the frame of the goal and falls in rather than out, but that's a big deal in a 2-3 goal game. It's hard to say the best team won if that determined the outcome.

The same thing happens in basketball, the ball might roll around the hoop and wither fall in or out. But in basketball, that happens many times, and on average, the better team will have it drop in more often.

For me, scoring in basketball, baseball, volleyball, and maybe (American) football are reasonable. Basketball is on the high side, IMO, too little emphasis on each point, American football maybe a little too much on each point. But hockey and soccer (ROW football) that low scoring is just crazy IMO, and removes any little interest I might have in those sports.

-ERD50
Just for the record, 2-1 in soccer is 14-7 in football. :-) Low scoring, but not unheard of.
Old 06-14-2014, 09:13 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

England v Italy was a terrific game!
Old 06-14-2014, 09:25 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by aim-high View Post
Yes it was.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (246.0 KB, 3 views)
Old 06-14-2014, 10:31 PM   #34

Quote:
Quote:
Yes it was.
It was a very good match. England still has a chance, they now face Uruguay who will be playing without their defensive star Maxi Pereira.
Old 06-15-2014, 03:07 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I agree.... I had them for a draw on my sheet.... so was disappointed on Italy's second goal...
Old 06-16-2014, 10:20 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Great win for the USA. I was on the edge of my seat the entire time.

And one of Portugal's players was red carded so he is out of the Sunday game with the USA.

Germany scares me.

Sent from somewhere in the world with whatever device I can get my hands on.
Old 06-16-2014, 10:26 PM   #37

Quote:

And one of Portugal's players was red carded so he is out of the Sunday game with the USA.

Germany scares me.

Pepe was/is an idiot for "leaning in" like that.

If US can draw against Portugal and limit the number of goals Germany scores to 1 or 2 they have a good chance of going through.
It will be interesting to see Klinsmann's tactics, it's as much about him as the players now.

Current AA: 65% Equity Funds / 20% Bonds / 7% Stable Value /3% Cash / 5% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 10:33 PM   #38

Quote:

Germany scares me.

Yes indeed, fantastic game, great ending, loved watching it with my son. Ghana has defeated the USA in the last 2 World Cups.

A win against Portugal will see them through regardless of the result against Germany.

Klinsmann's policy of concentrating on German American players who grew up playing the game in Europe has passed a vital test in battle.

We have some good friends from Uruguay who have invited us around on Thursday for the England Uruguay game. Our families have been friends for 10 years now and we always cheer each other's team in the World Cup but this is the first time our countries will have played together since we've known them. It will be just our luck that neither team gets out of the group stage
Old 06-16-2014, 11:03 PM   #39

Quote:
Yes indeed, fantastic game, great ending, loved watching it with my son. Ghana has defeated the USA in the last 2 World Cups.

A win against Portugal will see them through regardless of the result against Germany.

Klinsmann's policy of concentrating on German American players who grew up playing the game in Europe has passed a vital test in battle.

We have some good friends from Uruguay who have invited us around on Thursday for the England Uruguay game. Our families have been friends for 10 years now and we always cheer each other's team in the World Cup but this is the first time our countries will have played together since we've known them. It will be just our luck that neither team gets out of the group stage
I hope you stay friends after the match .

On Klinsmann's "policy," it seems every country recruits from other countries, some more shamelessly than others. I'd like to see Qatar's final team roster in the next world cup. I bet a majority of their team will be made up of soccer "mercenaries" from South America, Africa, and Europe.
Old 06-16-2014, 11:12 PM   #40

Quote:
It'll be interesting to see which anthem the German half of the US team end up singing. "Deutschland, Deutschland uber alles" might be a knee jerk reaction when the band starts up.

Current AA: 65% Equity Funds / 20% Bonds / 7% Stable Value /3% Cash / 5% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
nun is offline   Reply With Quote