Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-26-2014, 04:34 PM   #141
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE2Boys View Post
Soccer has become my favorite spectator sport because of the continuous action and the stamina it requires. No time for coach provided set plays with a break every 20 seconds of play as in American football or virtually no real play time as in baseball. Basketball is pretty close to the stamina demands of soccer.
What I like is the fact that the games only take about 2 hours, even with extra time added for both halves. Nice. Neat. Limited interruptions of the action (or lack thereof).

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2014, 04:38 PM   #142

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Apparently, the USA's next game against either Belgium or Algeria is priced about $350 less than the average ticket price for that round. So, get them while their cheap!

USA knockout stage game tickets 23% below round average | Soccerly
The commentators have mentioned it twice now that the US team has more traveling supporters than any other country. 20,000 have made the trip. 18 million viewers in the US watched the game against Portugal.

Old 06-26-2014, 04:50 PM   #143
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Just read through the whole thread, so I'll skip the old stuff... catching up:

I'm USA first, Germany second. Very happy with the way the Group of Death worked out!

Not sure how the US has an easier road to the final 8. Belgium is far and away the best team in Group H, and while not as good as Germany (nor Portugal on a good day), they're still very good. FIFA rankings that game is 11 vs. 13, so it's winnable for the US.

Having played soccer and basketball both competitively over the course of my life, basketball doesn't compare to soccer in terms of fitness required. IMO. First, you sub a lot more liberally in basketball. Second, there are a lot more breaks in play. Midfield, played properly, results in 10-12km of running, much of it full speed in a regulation match of 90 minutes. Basketball doesn't compare to that. I think basketball players are better all around athletes, but soccer players are more fit, if that makes sense.

Only thing in my life that's been more demanding on my fitness than my soccer playing days are my straight running and triathlon endeavors.
Old 06-26-2014, 06:15 PM   #144

Quote:
Originally Posted by nash031 View Post
Not sure how the US has an easier road to the final 8. Belgium is far and away the best team in Group H, and while not as good as Germany (nor Portugal on a good day), they're still very good. FIFA rankings that game is 11 vs. 13, so it's winnable for the US.
I was speaking in relative term. Belgium is much easier than say Brazil, Argentina. Also, in the 3 games Belgium played, they weren't very impressive. I like USA's draw in final 16. They will advance past Belgium. At least, I am hoping.
Old 06-26-2014, 06:54 PM   #145

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
I was speaking in relative term. Belgium is much easier than say Brazil, Argentina. Also, in the 3 games Belgium played, they weren't very impressive. I like USA's draw in final 16. They will advance past Belgium. At least, I am hoping.
Oh sure... no arguing that. Belgium plays the same style as Germany, but they're not as talented as Germany and Portugal. US should be prepared, if they have anything left in the the tank. I would've preferred Algeria, but Belgium is 11th in the (meaningless) FIFA rankings, US is 13th. (Germany 2nd, Portugal 4th...) They've got a shot. I'm not as bullish as you, but a definite chance.
Old 06-28-2014, 01:03 PM   #146
Give me a forum ...

Brazil vs. Chile. What a contest!
Old 06-28-2014, 01:07 PM   #147
Give me a forum ...

I'm new to World Cup soccer rules. How many more ties and losses does the USA need in order to win the cup?

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 01:08 PM   #148

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Brazil vs. Chile. What a contest!
Yes indeed, Chile are doing much better than expected against Brazil and were the better team in the 2nd half
Old 06-28-2014, 01:23 PM   #149
Recycles dryer sheets

Agree, quite a match! Not an easy victory for either team.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 06-28-2014, 01:28 PM   #150

Over the first 90 minutes there have been more fouls than any World Cup game since 1990.
Old 06-28-2014, 01:57 PM   #151

A great match. Too bad it had to end with penalties.

I thought it was the best refereeing (is that a verb?) so far in the tournament.
Old 06-28-2014, 02:51 PM   #152
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
I'm new to World Cup soccer rules. How many ties and losses does the USA need in order to win the cup?

From now on there are no more ties....

If you lose, you are out.... this is called the knockout phase... lose and go home....
Old 06-28-2014, 03:41 PM   #153

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
A great match. Too bad it had to end with penalties.

I thought it was the best refereeing (is that a verb?) so far in the tournament.
I do believe refereeing is a verb

Yes it was disappointing (to me) that the fantastic strike from Chile deep into extra time hit the bar. It was struck incredibly hard, re-bounding back about 30 yards.

Columbia have just scored the best individual goal of the tournament so far (for me). Taking the ball on his chest with his back to goal, swiveling and volleying in off the crossbar from about 25 yards.
Old 06-28-2014, 05:56 PM   #154

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Columbia have just scored the best individual goal of the tournament so far (for me). Taking the ball on his chest with his back to goal, swiveling and volleying in off the crossbar from about 25 yards.
+1

And he's only 22
Old 06-29-2014, 11:49 AM   #155
Give me a forum ...

Brazil vs Chile was the best game so far, IMHO

Sent from somewhere in the world with whatever device I can get my hands on.
Old 06-29-2014, 03:50 PM   #156
Give me a forum ...

Not watching, but living in the RGV it's impossible to get away from World Cup fever.

First clue today - driving past Tilted Kilt we noticed the parking lot absolutely packed. Very unusual before noon on a Sunday.

Upon arrival at our Mexican restaurant we realize that Mexico is playing Holland (Netherlands). Aah - that explains the Tilted Kilt parking lot. A bunch of patrons are wearing Mexico jerseys. Score is cero cero (that's zero zero).

A while later while we are eating, the kitchen errupts in a loud cheer. Huh? 2 seconds later the bar goes crazy. Ahah! Mexico must have scored! Not sure how the kitchen guys are getting any work done.

Later at Costco all the TVs are tuned to you know what, and half the shoppers are stopped there.

As we left Costco, Mexico ended up losing. That was our WC experience.

FWIW I played varsity soccer, but we just don't watch sports.

Edited to add: my local Facebook buddies are saying this means Mexico is eliminated.
Old 06-29-2014, 09:10 PM   #157

Heartbreak for Mexico as Holland score 2 goals very late in the game. Mexico were the better team overall imo.

Heartbreak for Costa Rica when Greece equalized in the last minute of normal time. They thought they were through to play Holland in the last 8. However, they held their nerve, and after 30 minutes of extra time it came to a penalty shoot out and they scored all 5 of their penalties to go through. Very impressive for a country of less than 5m people. Now unbeaten in 4 games
Old 06-30-2014, 07:01 AM   #158

Mexico played their hearts out yesterday. I am not a fan of the Netherlands style, but they did play a smarter game.
Old 06-30-2014, 08:58 AM   #159
Give me a forum ...

Another shoot out to put Costa Rica into the quarter finals. They deserved the win after holding Greece off undermanned. I even saw a bicycle kick which probably makes the Onion's fan happy.
Old 07-01-2014, 11:58 AM   #160
Give me a forum ...

How does FIFA decide who can be on a nation's national team? It seems that to me that Pablo can play all year for Barcelona and then end up on the Australian team. ?? Does one have to be a citizen? If so, for how long?