Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

World Cup Soccer/football thread
Old 06-13-2014, 02:22 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

World Cup Soccer/football thread

Anyone watching?

So far, referees and bad calls are making all the headlines. I say implement a replay system for penalty kick & offside calls that ends in game changing situation.
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2014, 02:30 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

According to a mathematician I heard being interviewed on NPR the problems with bad calls in soccer is related to the low scores. If teams were scoring 4,5, or 6 goals a game, one bad call may not be that significant. But, when they win 1-0, or 2-1, or tie 1-1 or 0-0, one bad call is a big deal.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 02:55 PM   #3
Administrator

I've only seen three games so far but they've all been pretty good. Spain was taken to school - a bad start for top ranked team in the world. Pretty goals by Robben, eh?

That call in the first game was the world cup version of "home field advantage". The home team always makes it into the next round and usually to the finals.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 03:08 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
Anyone watching?

So far, referees and bad calls are making all the headlines. I say implement a replay system for penalty kick & offside calls that ends in game changing situation.
Offside calls that end in one touch goals should be reviewable. There are too many disallowed goals that are easy to review without affecting the flow of the game.
aim-high is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 03:41 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by aim-high View Post
Offside calls that end in one touch goals should be reviewable. There are too many disallowed goals that are easy to review without affecting the flow of the game.
I think all offside calls after a goal is scored can be reviewed. When a flag goes up, ref just needs to hold the whistle until the play stops. Then, a quick review on a large screen (no need to huddle and have a conference for 5 mins) ought to be good enough. The whole review can be done before players stop whining about the call.
Old 06-13-2014, 03:42 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
I've only seen three games so far but they've all been pretty good. Spain was taken to school - a bad start for top ranked team in the world. Pretty goals by Robben, eh?

That call in the first game was the world cup version of "home field advantage". The home team always makes it into the next round and usually to the finals.
Spain losing by 4 goals is a shocker. I feel sorry for the next team Spain faces.
Old 06-13-2014, 03:43 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I'm flying to London in a few hours. According to the interwebs they are going nuts over there. England v Italy kicks off at 10:00 PM local time tomorrow. I doubt I will have the fortitude to fight my way into a popup bar to watch. Then on to Berlin and more of the same?
Old 06-13-2014, 04:09 PM   #8
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
I'm flying to London in a few hours. According to the interwebs they are going nuts over there. England v Italy kicks off at 10:00 PM local time tomorrow. I doubt I will have the fortitude to fight my way into a popup bar to watch. Then on to Berlin and more of the same?
Go. Not to be missed. You should find lots of venues to watch, not just pubs. I saw '02 match Germany - Ireland in Shanghai with my German BIL. A restaurant set up a giant screen and long cafeteria style tables out front, nicely separated, at least 150 fans per side. I have never seen so many people drink so much beer at one sitting. Very friendly, everyone looking to enjoy themselves. It was a blast.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 04:31 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

do not care about soccer
a bunch of rabid fans
sanfanciscotreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 04:41 PM   #10
Administrator

Quote:
I think all offside calls after a goal is scored can be reviewed. When a flag goes up, ref just needs to hold the whistle until the play stops. Then, a quick review on a large screen (no need to huddle and have a conference for 5 mins) ought to be good enough. The whole review can be done before players stop whining about the call.
I agree. The closest game to football is rugby and they have had video reviews for years, and it hardly disrupts the game at all, plus the players immediately accept the decision. I also like the way rugby refs have their microphones broadcast live so you can hear them talking to players and other officials. Stops all the speculation on what a call was for.

I've watched the first 3 games and am now watching the Jackeroo's play Chile.
Old 06-13-2014, 05:38 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

I heard a phrase recently, "Soccer is a gentlemen's sport played by savages. Rugby is a savage sport played by gentlemen." I don't here about people being killed because of the results of a rugby match. Also, I'm tire of fb posts about the world cup by people who have never commented on soccer before.
retirementguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 06:10 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Responding to your post and the one you quoted...

The big problem with a review is that when you call offside, the game comes to a stop... you cannot let it keep going because that could be minutes... and if an offside is called and it was not.... then a goal might have been scored... even a minute later...

I watched the Spain game.... I think that the ref did a good job... the only thing I think he missed was the head butt... he did not see it, so he cannot call it... even if he suspects it happened....

The other big problem with the call of offside is that it is VERY close... the angles of the cameras are not good enough... if you are an inch one way or the other.... well.... now, I guess you could say it has to be 'clear and convincing evidence' like in football..... but I have seen where they get it wrong even with replay...

I would like to see more yellows for people who flop... I did see a few in the Spain game... from both sides...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 07:22 PM   #13

I'm watching.....I'm English so I'm waiting for us to get beaten on penalties at some stage. But I'm fired up for the game against Italy

RVP's headed goal today was amazing. The Spaniards in the bar went very quiet. I'm not sad to see Spain lose , their possession football was getting boring.

Best bit of commentary so far was during the Mexico v Cameroon game. It poured rain for the whole 90 mins and if you remember that awful last scene in Four Weddings and a Funeral you will love this bit of commentary.

"80 mins: Rain update: Andie McDowell has just showed up to ask if it's raining."

Current AA: 75% Equity Funds / 15% Bonds / 5% Stable Value /2% Cash / 3% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 07:25 PM   #14

In honor of Greece making WC twice in a row for the 1st time-

ERhoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 07:26 PM   #15
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Responding to your post and the one you quoted...

The big problem with a review is that when you call offside, the game comes to a stop... you cannot let it keep going because that could be minutes... and if an offside is called and it was not.... then a goal might have been scored... even a minute later...

I watched the Spain game.... I think that the ref did a good job... the only thing I think he missed was the head butt... he did not see it, so he cannot call it... even if he suspects it happened....

The other big problem with the call of offside is that it is VERY close... the angles of the cameras are not good enough... if you are an inch one way or the other.... well.... now, I guess you could say it has to be 'clear and convincing evidence' like in football..... but I have seen where they get it wrong even with replay...

I would like to see more yellows for people who flop... I did see a few in the Spain game... from both sides...
What Rob said was to call a review when the ball has gone into the net but ruled out for offside. ( or vice versa) The game is already stopped. In the Mexico game today they scored from a corner but the goal was ruled offside because it was flicked on by the head of another player. Instant replay showed that it was a defender who headed the ball on, not an attacker. It was not offside and the goal should have stood. Very quick to determine what actually happened, the ref on the line had called offside because he saw the ball headed on but hadn't seen whose head it had made contact.
Old 06-13-2014, 07:33 PM   #16
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nun View Post
I'm watching.....I'm English so I'm waiting for us to get beaten on penalties at some stage. But I'm fired up for the game against Italy

]
+1

My wife doesn't understand why me and my son put ourselves through this agony. Earlier this season my team knocked out Manchester United in the semi-final of the League Cup, decided on penalties. At the end the commentators noted that of the penalty takers 4 of them were players from the England team, and they all missed.
Old 06-13-2014, 07:49 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERhoosier View Post
In honor of Greece making WC twice in a row for the 1st time-

Yes, soon after that game, Socrates changed his nationality and played for Brazil.

Current AA: 75% Equity Funds / 15% Bonds / 5% Stable Value /2% Cash / 3% TIAA Traditional
Old 06-13-2014, 09:03 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Great so far. I'm flying the Dutch flag on my car and house. Not likely to get so deep this tourney but certainly nice to see them trounce Spain today.

Home field advantage to be sure - it's interesting to look back through the years to see that one should be putting a bunch of money on the South American teams this year. Every single World Cup where the tournament has not be in a European time zone, a South American team has won - 8 times. And they've only won on one other occasion, 1952 when Brazil won in Sweden. Also, with the exception of 1952, European clubs have won every World Cup staged in European time zones. I'm sure it must just be difficulty adjusting to the time zone...
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 10:28 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
One of the goals that went in came after the Spanish goalkeeper was interfered with. That was called yesterday in Brazil vs Croatia game but not today. It would have not changed the outcome but it was yet another miss that led to a goal.

Alan clarified my position on offside call video review very clearly. The review can be done without disrupting flow of the game.
Old 06-14-2014, 06:37 AM   #20

Quote:
One of the goals that went in came after the Spanish goalkeeper was interfered with. That was called yesterday in Brazil vs Croatia game but not today. It would have not changed the outcome but it was yet another miss that led to a goal.

Alan clarified my position on offside call video review very clearly. The review can be done without disrupting flow of the game.
I saw nothing wrong with RVP's challenge on Casillas. It was robust, but Casillas was way out of position and should have been stronger.

I believe that a small number of video reviews should be allowed for penalties and circumstances that might have lead directly to a goal. lets say two per match per team.