World Cup Soccer/football thread

Bradley, blew this one. After that effort in the heat and humidity, a win and easy effort against Germany would be just what the doctor ordered. Ugh!

I was wondering why the defense was so high... bad defense at the end...

If I saw it correctly, there were only two defenders back and a third running in too late... why were there not 5:confused:

That was a fantastic game to watch and while you can blame the defence at the end play it was a superb cross from Ronaldo to find the runner. Now Klinsmann dare not rest any players for the last group game against Germany. The "group of death" is living up to its billing as all 4 teams have everything to play for in the last game of the group.

That was a fantastic game to watch and while you can blame the defence at the end play it was a superb cross from Ronaldo to find the runner. Now Klinsmann dare not rest any players for the last group game against Germany. The "group of death" is living up to its billing as all 4 teams have everything to play for in the last game of the group.

West Germany v Austria - 1982. A tie between US and German is a good result.

USA can still go through with a loss against Germany, as long as Portugal win or tie their game with Ghana, and the USA only lose by a goal or 2 AND Portugal only win by a goal or 2. This is because the USA goal difference is better than Portugal's by 5 goals, and both Portugal and Ghana are 3 points behind. If the USA lose by one goal and Ghana win by 1 goal then the USA will still go through because they will have the same goal difference as Ghana but won the head to head with Ghana.

Unfortunately I usually have to go through all these calculations with England and usually results work out against England, but I am always optimistic.

U... S... A

Coach K will have to prove me wrong, but I think he gave away the victory, and the team will be dissected in the next game.

The big mistake was leaving in Bradley. I lost count of how many times he gave the ball away, or showed no effort.

Making a back line substitution in final minutes was another blunder. It upset the balance.

I had to look that one up. Very similar indeed. West Germany 1–0 Austria - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

With the current goal differential GER +4, USA +1, GHA -1, POR -4, I believe Germany's only way not to advance would be to lose to the U.S., and for Ghana to beat Portugal and for the combined goal differential to be 5 or more. (I'm discounting the possibility of Portugal winning by 8 or more plus a US - GER tie.)

By holding such a big advantage in goal differential Germany advances out at the top of the group for a tie unless Ghana can win by 5 (6?) goals.

If the U.S. ties, the only way they don't advance is if Ghana can win by 3 or Portugal by 5.

Or something like that. In any case, it seems to me its going to be a very slow, defensive US - GER match on Thursday. Lots of back-passes to the goalie for a long kick to midfield. Ugh.

Last edited:
I had to look that one up. Very similar indeed. West Germany 1–0 Austria - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

With the current goal differential GER +4, USA +1, GHA -1, POR -4, I believe Germany's only way not to advance would be to lose to the U.S., and for Ghana to beat Portugal and for the combined goal differential to be 5 or more. (I'm discounting the possibility of Portugal winning by 8 or more plus a US - GER tie.)

By holding such a big advantage in goal differential Germany advances out at the top of the group for a tie unless Ghana can win by 5 (6?) goals.

If the U.S. ties, the only way they don't advance is if Ghana can win by 3 or Portugal by 5.

Or something like that. In any case, it seems to me its going to be a very slow, defensive US - GER match on Thursday. Lots of back-passes to the goalie for a long kick to midfield. Ugh.

If the USA ties they go through regardless of the Portugal Ghana game as they will have 5 points. Unlike the Germany Austria game in '82 these final group games kick off at the same time and Germany will very much want to win the group because if they are 2nd they almost certainly will face Argentina in the next round. (unless Nigeria beat Argentina in the last game of that group)

That was a fantastic game to watch and while you can blame the defence at the end play it was a superb cross from Ronaldo to find the runner.
+1

If the USA ties they go through regardless of the Portugal Ghana game as they will have 5 points. Unlike the Germany Austria game in '82 these final group games kick off at the same time and Germany will very much want to win the group because if they are 2nd they almost certainly will face Argentina in the next round. (unless Nigeria beat Argentina in the last game of that group)
I remember that match. It was like a practice session, and at one point the referee called the team captains and ordered them to play - to no avail. The fans were very unhappy, as was FIFA, and that was one of the reasons they changed the format to the way it is today - third game simultaneous play.

Germany will no doubt have this on their mind when they take the field, they'll want to show it isn't so this time around.

If the USA ties they go through regardless of the Portugal Ghana game as they will have 5 points.
:facepalm: Yes. Of course.

Germany will very much want to win the group because if they are 2nd they almost certainly will face Argentina in the next round. (unless Nigeria beat Argentina in the last game of that group)

The next round or the quarterfinals? I thought our group was paired up with Group H Belgium, Russia, etc. for the round of 16. Looking past the Red Devils would be a mistake. They looked very good yesterday.

It's all very confusing....

:facepalm: Yes. Of course.

The next round or the quarterfinals? I thought our group was paired up with Group H Belgium, Russia, etc. for the round of 16. Looking past the Red Devils would be a mistake. They looked very good yesterday.

It's all very confusing....

My turn for the head slap :facepalm:

I expect Germany will still want to avoid the winner of H, Belgium has 2 wins already and are highly fancied to do well this year.

It will be very disappointing if both sides play for a tie, but it certainly is a possibility.

Before the World Cup started, would anyone NOT have jumped on an offer of 4 points and a +1 goal differential after 2 games? Nope! Although the last 30 seconds of the game yesterday hurt, it's far, far from the end of the road for the USA. Plus, looking at possible round of 16 matches, I like what I see. Belgium has not been all that impressive, and I'd bet Algeria will take the other spot in Group H.

As Jürgen Klinsmann said, "...[the] reason they call it the 'Group of Death,' [is] because we're in it, too." Say what you want about leaving LD off the team. Klinsmann is doing exactly what he was hired to do: We've outlasted a very, very tough Ghana team, and just outplayed the #4 ranked team in the world. Bring on Germany.

Before the World Cup started, would anyone NOT have jumped on an offer of 4 points and a +1 goal differential after 2 games? Nope! Although the last 30 seconds of the game yesterday hurt, it's far, far from the end of the road for the USA. Plus, looking at possible round of 16 matches, I like what I see. Belgium has not been all that impressive, and I'd bet Algeria will take the other spot in Group H.

As Jürgen Klinsmann said, "...[the] reason they call it the 'Group of Death,' [is] because we're in it, too." Say what you want about leaving LD off the team. Klinsmann is doing exactly what he was hired to do: We've outlasted a very, very tough Ghana team, and just outplayed the #4 ranked team in the world. Bring on Germany.

+1000 :dance:

IIRC, both Germany and Portugal made the top 8 teams in pre WC rankings. The USA was 13th. Ghana was down in the 30's but after seeing them play the USA and Germany, one must wonder about that.

Listening to the American media, you would think that the USA was shut out 2-0. Good Grief! We are tied for 1st place with Germany in one of the toughest WC groups of the year.

Last edited:
IIRC, both Germany and Portugal made the top 8 teams in pre WC rankings. The USA was 13th. Ghana was down in the 30's but after seeing them play the USA and Germany, one must wonder about that.

Listening to the American media, you would think that the USA was shut out 2-0. Good Grief! We are tied for 1st place with Germany in one of the toughest WC groups of the year.

Yep, USA #13, Germany #2 and Portugal #4 in FIFA rankings.

Maybe the American media are in a conspiracy to prevent too much support sliding over to soccer from more traditional US sports.

Unlike other team sports, in soccer, teams often don't play to their ranking, especially, in WC. Ghana is a good team, and have enough talent to beat any team in this group of death. USA is doing great so far. Any two teams out of this group will go far.

My turn for the head slap :facepalm:

I expect Germany will still want to avoid the winner of H, Belgium has 2 wins already and are highly fancied to do well this year.

It will be very disappointing if both sides play for a tie, but it certainly is a possibility.

A tie would mean Germany would win and NOT play Belgium...

The only way Germany plays Belgium is if they lose and win tie break which is probably what would happen...

Great game today between Mexico and Croatia, lots of speed, contact, passion and 4 goals. Mexico only needed to tie to go through but you would never have known it from the way they played, and fully deserved their 3-1 win.

Watched most of all games played so far.
Absence of commercials every third minute helps. :)

Am learning more about the rules (as in extra time).

Simple basics here:
The Rules Of Soccer - The 17 Laws Of The Game

And about the field, here:

Law 1: The Field of Play - National soccer referee | Examiner.com

I hope this triggers more interest in soccer as a US sport. Continuous action is great!
Great to see that an old dog isn't afraid to learn new tricks :dance:

I'm a total couch potato at present now that Wimbledon has started as BBC coverage starts at 7am, and of course no commercials there either. During the short sit down breaks every 2 games they take the chance to catch you up on other games in progress rather than go to a commercial break.

I'll be worn out before we go on holiday in a couple of weeks time.

I love it when the sub someone out and they give the distance they have run and compare it to the team average. Pretty impressive, 10 km in 70 minutes in the middle of the rainforest! These guys are in shape!

Italy is out. England humiliated. Croatia not so good. The Chuckanut kiss of death is performing at 100% efficiency.

Go Germany!!!!!

Sent from somewhere in the world with whatever device I can get my hands on.

Suarez bites another opponent, this time in the Uruguay game. This is the 3rd such biting incident in big games, the last time he was banned for 10 games in the Premier League after biting the arm of a Chelsea defender. In an earlier season he received an 8 game ban for racially abusing a colored player on the Manchester United team.

My son and I were watching the game at the home of our friends from Uruguay and to say they were embarrassed is putting it lightly.

Surely FIFA will ban him from the rest of the tournament and beyond. In the Last World Cup Suarez was red carded and banned after making a goalkeeper like handball save on the line in the last minute of the game against Ghana. Ghana missed the resulting penalty and Uruguay went on to win. Once again he is headline news for all the wrong reasons. Such a talented player, but with a serious personality disorder.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 7
Back
Top Bottom