World Cup Soccer/football thread

Italy is out. England humiliated. Croatia not so good. The Chuckanut kiss of death is performing at 100% efficiency.

Go Germany!!!!!

Sent from somewhere in the world with whatever device I can get my hands on.

:D

European powerhouses are falling by the wayside. Home continent advantage is still in effect.

Suarez gotta go. If FIFA doesn't come down hard on him, it'd be a total shame.

Three-year old kids are kicked out of daycare (banned for life!) for biting. Seems obvious what the penalty should be.

:D
Suarez gotta go. If FIFA doesn't come down hard on him, it'd be a total shame.

Couldn't agree more.

However, FIFA are very political and corrupt so I wouldn't be surprised if they bottle it.

Max punishment within the FIFA rules is a 24 match or 2 year ban, and I hope they go all the way. However, they'll probably just have him wear the cone of shame for a few games.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    278.7 KB · Views: 6
My son looked up my favorite spoof video from the World Cup when Zidane of France head-butted an Italian player, which illustrates how different folks see an incident.

New Zidane headbutt video evidence!

I don't think Zidane was a habitual butt heading player. Suarez is just a wacko. I think this is 3rd time he bit into someone? He also had other antics on and off the field. When it comes to biting, he'd put Mike Tyson to shame.

I don't think Zidane was a habitual butt heading player. Suarez is just a wacko. I think this is 3rd time he bit into someone? He also had other antics on and off the field. When it comes to biting, he'd put Mike Tyson to shame.

I fully agree, I thought of the Zidane spoof video when I heard that the Uruguay press are saying that Suarez's teeth collided with the other player accidentally.

If you Google "Suarez biting" you will find pictures of his previous 2 biting incidents. Also, you could have got odds on gambling sites to bet on him biting someone before the start of the World Cup.

Suarez bites another opponent, this time in the Uruguay game.
Unbelievable. Third time's the charm. They really do need to do something, but your assessment of FIFA is right on. I'm still not unhappy Italy failed to qualify. They have very good players but degrade the game with all the flopping and flailing.

My son looked up my favorite spoof video from the World Cup when Zidane of France head-butted an Italian player, which illustrates how different folks see an incident.

New Zidane headbutt video evidence!
Great link! :LOL:

Latin American teams are having a great time of it, eh?

The USA moves on. Great!

I hope the players can take a few days to recover their energy and heal some of the injuries.

France is not doing so bad - 2 wins and 1 Tie.

I watched the USA game with my son. Very tense but so pleased that the USA made it through.

Probably going to be Belgium in the next round.

Unbelievable. Third time's the charm. They really do need to do something, but your assessment of FIFA is right on. I'm still not unhappy Italy failed to qualify. They have very good players but degrade the game with all the flopping and flailing.

Suarez got a 9 game ban. For the 3rd offense in the biggest stage of soccer, the punishment does not fit the crime. The ban is similar to what he got before and that was in league plays. In California where 3 strikes are equivalent to an out, he'd be in jail for good.

USA now has easier road to final 8.

I love it when the sub someone out and they give the distance they have run and compare it to the team average. Pretty impressive, 10 km in 70 minutes in the middle of the rainforest! These guys are in shape!

Soccer has become my favorite spectator sport because of the continuous action and the stamina it requires. No time for coach provided set plays with a break every 20 seconds of play as in American football or virtually no real play time as in baseball. Basketball is pretty close to the stamina demands of soccer.

Suarez got a 9 game ban. For the 3rd offense in the biggest stage of soccer, the punishment does not fit the crime. The ban is similar to what he got before and that was in league plays. In California where 3 strikes are equivalent to an out, he'd be in jail for good.

USA now has easier road to final 8.

I agree, it should be 3 bites and you're out :)

Soccer has become my favorite spectator sport because of the continuous action and the stamina it requires. No time for coach provided set plays with a break every 20 seconds of play as in American football or virtually no real play time as in baseball. Basketball is pretty close to the stamina demands of soccer.

We were fortunate to have our young children start to play here in the USA back in the late 80's when it was still quite new in the US. In our son's very first under 8 game they were down 2-0 at half time and came back to win 3-2. Only 1 of the mothers and fathers had ever seen a game before and I can still remember them enthusing about it and saying it was better than anything they had ever seen their kids play before because it was totally inclusive, the kids ran their hearts out and the excitement levels were so high, both on and off the field.

Basketball is pretty close to the stamina demands of soccer.

Off topic a bit:

Actually, indoor soccer is closer to basketball in terms of need for stamina & energy it takes. The first time I've tried indoor soccer, my immediate thought was "this is like basketball." There is no place to hide, and if you are not constantly moving, you are basically taking yourself out of the game.

What I like is the fact that the games only take about 2 hours, even with extra time added for both halves. Nice. Neat. Limited interruptions of the action (or lack thereof).

Just read through the whole thread, so I'll skip the old stuff... catching up:

I'm USA first, Germany second. Very happy with the way the Group of Death worked out!

Not sure how the US has an easier road to the final 8. Belgium is far and away the best team in Group H, and while not as good as Germany (nor Portugal on a good day), they're still very good. FIFA rankings that game is 11 vs. 13, so it's winnable for the US.

Having played soccer and basketball both competitively over the course of my life, basketball doesn't compare to soccer in terms of fitness required. IMO. First, you sub a lot more liberally in basketball. Second, there are a lot more breaks in play. Midfield, played properly, results in 10-12km of running, much of it full speed in a regulation match of 90 minutes. Basketball doesn't compare to that. I think basketball players are better all around athletes, but soccer players are more fit, if that makes sense.

Only thing in my life that's been more demanding on my fitness than my soccer playing days are my straight running and triathlon endeavors.

Not sure how the US has an easier road to the final 8. Belgium is far and away the best team in Group H, and while not as good as Germany (nor Portugal on a good day), they're still very good. FIFA rankings that game is 11 vs. 13, so it's winnable for the US.

I was speaking in relative term. Belgium is much easier than say Brazil, Argentina. Also, in the 3 games Belgium played, they weren't very impressive. I like USA's draw in final 16. They will advance past Belgium. At least, I am hoping.

I was speaking in relative term. Belgium is much easier than say Brazil, Argentina. Also, in the 3 games Belgium played, they weren't very impressive. I like USA's draw in final 16. They will advance past Belgium. At least, I am hoping.

Oh sure... no arguing that. Belgium plays the same style as Germany, but they're not as talented as Germany and Portugal. US should be prepared, if they have anything left in the the tank. I would've preferred Algeria, but Belgium is 11th in the (meaningless) FIFA rankings, US is 13th. (Germany 2nd, Portugal 4th...) They've got a shot. I'm not as bullish as you, but a definite chance.

Agree, quite a match! Not an easy victory for either team.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Over the first 90 minutes there have been more fouls than any World Cup game since 1990.

Back
Top Bottom