Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-14-2010, 02:51 PM   #41
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
There's almost nothing that's anathema to a typical U.S. sports fan more than watching something go on for two hours ending in a 0-0 or 1-1 tie.
I guess you won't like cricket either where a game lasting 5 days often ends in a tie, and a "Test Series" of 5 such games also often ends in a tie.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2010, 02:54 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I guess you won't like cricket either where a game lasting 5 days often ends in a tie, and a "Test Series" of 5 such games also often ends in a tie.
I'm not saying I won't like it. But in my observation of most American sports fans, low scoring games and (especially) games ending in a tie are despised.

Frankly, I despise artificial, contrived ways to *force* a winner and a loser that aren't a natural continuation of a game, such as (yecch) shootouts. Why not decide baseball games with a home run derby? Or (American) football games with a contest to see who can punt the ball the farthest?

When the World Cup final can end in a shootout, something stinks to high heaven.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 02:56 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicente solano View Post
Audrey, with all due respect- No Spaniard worth his salt would say "Guau" meaningyour "Wow".... We would most likely say something like "joder". But not in the sense of an exclamatory "Fu**!" but rather along the "Holy S***!" lines
Vicente, I guess those Spaniards are just more salty than us gringos. I met a woman at a dance who called herself "Concha". I thought I must have heard it wrong, but when she wrote her phone there it was "Concha, (206)...-...."
Old 06-14-2010, 02:59 PM   #44
Administrator

Quote:
I'm not saying I won't like it. But in my observation of most American sports fans, low scoring games and (especially) games ending in a tie are despised.
If it is scoring that counts then maybe you might like cricket Each side has 2 innings and typical score hundreds of runs per innings.

As for soccer, I think it is a wonderful game, particularly for young kids who run their legs off.
Old 06-15-2010, 04:33 AM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Alan- Is cricket as boring as it appears to be...? I hope this rather impertinent question doesn´t result in my having my head bitten off!!
Old 06-15-2010, 08:58 AM   #46
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have tried watching a couple of matches but I don't know the game rules or strategy. Besides that the constant din of the vuvuzela horns remind me of a crazed swarm of cicadas so I gave up.
Old 06-15-2010, 09:04 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodak View Post
I have tried watching a couple of matches but I don't know the game rules or strategy. Besides that the constant din of the vuvuzela horns remind me of a crazed swarm of cicadas so I gave up.
I mute it; those horns are totally annoying.

I don't know why the broadcsters don't isolate the booth from the noise. Maybe they are afraid of criticism which is always easily come by. I enjoy futbol but I detest this droning.

Ha
Old 06-15-2010, 09:24 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Frankly, I despise artificial, contrived ways to *force* a winner and a loser that aren't a natural continuation of a game, such as (yecch) shootouts. Why not decide baseball games with a home run derby? Or (American) football games with a contest to see who can punt the ball the farthest?

When the World Cup final can end in a shootout, something stinks to high heaven.

The problem is that if there is not a shootout.... the game can go on forever...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 10:03 AM   #49
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
The problem is that if there is not a shootout.... the game can go on forever...
What's wrong with shootout? I love shootout. Lot of skills go into the penalty kick (shootout) too. In fact, players are often practice for that.

That is the rule of the game. If teams don't want shootout try to win it in the regular and overtime :-)
neihn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 11:13 AM   #50
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicente solano View Post
Alan- Is cricket as boring as it appears to be...? I hope this rather impertinent question doesn´t result in my having my head bitten off!!
the 5 day game can be pretty boring, although many including myself really enjoy it - it is a game of skill, mental strength and endurance.

One Day games and 20-20 games are very exciting. When I played it was always 20-20 as the games were usually played on work nights so you only had 2 - 3 hours of light.

In the 20-20 version, each side gets to bowl ('pitch') 20 overs, each over consisting of 6 'pitches'. The winner is the side who scores the most off their 120 'pitches', and the scores are usually well over a 100 runs each.
Old 06-15-2010, 11:23 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by neihn View Post
What's wrong with shootout? I love shootout. Lot of skills go into the penalty kick (shootout) too. In fact, players are often practice for that.
Sure, there's a lot of skill there, just like there is in a home run derby. But no one has suggested breaking a tie in baseball with a home run derby. No one has suggested that the NBA break ties with a game of "horse". These are skills that are part of the game, but aren't *the* game.

What's wrong with the shootout is that it's an artificial, contrived way to break ties, one that isn't a normal extension of the game. A team game shouldn't be resolved by a contrived one-on-one confrontation that isn't a normal part of the game (except for penalty kicks or penalty shots in hockey).
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
Old 06-15-2010, 11:27 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
the 5 day game can be pretty boring, although many including myself really enjoy it - it is a game of skill, mental strength and endurance.

One Day games and 20-20 games are very exciting. When I played it was always 20-20 as the games were usually played on work nights so you only had 2 - 3 hours of light.

In the 20-20 version, each side gets to bowl ('pitch') 20 overs, each over consisting of 6 'pitches'. The winner is the side who scores the most off their 120 'pitches', and the scores are usually well over a 100 runs each.

Hey Alan... (thread hijack!!!).... I did enjoy watching some cricket when I was there... and one of the good things about a game is that you do not have to watch the whole thing... you could go in and out and see how things are progressing... and do a 'wow' if something is skewed one way or the other...

But I remember talking about the one day games (I think they were 50s)... and never asked this question... what if the bowler just does not get the pitch close I mean... if I am pitching and I know there is a certain amount of pitches... I would not be close to allowing you to hit the ball unless there is a rule that would say 'that pitch does not count' if it is wide or whatever...

Now..... try to explain what a 'spinner' is or leg before stump...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 11:49 AM   #53
gone traveling

Quote:
Sure, there's a lot of skill there, just like there is in a home run derby. But no one has suggested breaking a tie in baseball with a home run derby. No one has suggested that the NBA break ties with a game of "horse". These are skills that are part of the game, but aren't *the* game.
Exactly. Why not resolve the tie with a pistol duel, a three-legged race, or a bass-fishing tournament?

Any sporting event that ends in a tie isn't a contest, it's both sides agreeing they can't win.

Those stupid horns alone are enough to turn me off on the World Cup.
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 12:37 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

" The English are not very spiritual people, so they invented cricket to give them some idea of eternity. "
George Bernard Shaw

samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 12:57 PM   #55
Administrator

Quote:
But I remember talking about the one day games (I think they were 50s)... and never asked this question... what if the bowler just does not get the pitch close I mean... if I am pitching and I know there is a certain amount of pitches... I would not be close to allowing you to hit the ball unless there is a rule that would say 'that pitch does not count' if it is wide or whatever...

Now..... try to explain what a 'spinner' is or leg before stump...
If a bowl is too wide or high for a batter to hit then the umpire calls a "wide" and a run is awarded plus the ball has to be bowled again.

You are not allowed to stop the ball from hitting the wicket by use of your body (usually your leg) so if the ball hits the batter's leg and the umpire decides that the ball would have hit the wicket if it had not struck the batter then he is given out "leg before wicket". It is perfectly legal to deliberately hit the batter with the ball and this is done often by fast bowlers to make him nervous.

Fast bowlers bowl the ball at speeds between 80 and 95 mph, some manage over a 100 mph.

Medium pace rely on the ball swinging in the air and bouncing sharply off the seam.

Spin bowlers throw the ball much higher in the air imparting a lot of spin so that it takes very sharp unexpected movements when it bounces in front of the batsman as he tries to hit it.
Old 06-15-2010, 01:08 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
So start with 10 minutes of 10-on-10, then 10 minutes of 9-on-9 and so on. Hockey recently changed its overtime to be skating 4-on-4 instead of the usual 5-on-5 (plus goaltenders) to open up the field, make it more "wide open" and increase the scoring chances (and reducing the need to go to a stupid shootout).

Not perfect but much, much better than a shootout. At least the tie is being resolved by something that resembles the actual game.
Old 06-15-2010, 03:17 PM   #57

If FIFA is too desperate needing US to participating the game - they will change the rule. Until then, I will enjoy the shootout.
neihn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 04:01 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
So start with 10 minutes of 10-on-10, then 10 minutes of 9-on-9 and so on. Hockey recently changed its overtime to be skating 4-on-4 instead of the usual 5-on-5 (plus goaltenders) to open up the field, make it more "wide open" and increase the scoring chances (and reducing the need to go to a stupid shootout).

Not perfect but much, much better than a shootout. At least the tie is being resolved by something that resembles the actual game.
Hey, I'd watch that--it would be a lot more fun, and changing strategy/skills needed as the numbers dwindled. Don't stop the contest at the first score, just reduce one player per team every 5 minutes, whoever has the most goals at the end of the time wins. If a tie--the last two guys keep playing until someone scores. And, please, can we start immediately with this process instead of having to endure 90 minutes of 11-on-11 to-and-fro?

Oh, and widen the goal a little bit.

And let them use their hands if they want.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 05:02 PM   #59

Quote:
I grew up with my Dad listening to 5 day tests on short-wave radio. I remember thinking that's very long, but I can appreciate the strategy involved. Running up the score on the other team could result in a draw (not enough time for the other team to finish batting), but calling your side too early could result in not enough runs (ie. a loss).

I don't follow cricket much, but it looks like the twenty over cricket leagues are all the rage now? With games a mere 3 hours now! I played cricket for the first time in over 20 years with some friends about a month ago, it was really fun!
WanderALot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 10:23 AM   #60
Administrator

Vicente, mi hermano... ¿Que Paso? Cuanto lamento por ti. Spain has suffered a tragedy

This morning was en outstanding game. Switzerland 1, Spain 0.

Quote:
Guau!! Those Chilean ladies sure must have some cojones!
Audrey, a well chosen word in spite of Vicente’s opinion. Your accent is almost perfect as well – just missed the upside-down exclamation before the word As for the Chilean ladies, well, Chile won it's first match

Quote:
For some reason, this game never caught on in the US. If it were, the US would win the Cup long ago - with all the resource available.
The sport cannot gain sufficient US network backing, along with the limitless money that comes with it, because they won’t change the rules to let advertising dictate the rythym of play. Continuous uninterrupted 45 minute segments are not acceptable to networks.

Quote:
Audrey, with all due respect- No Spaniard worth his salt would say "Guau" meaning your "Wow".... We would most likely say something like "joder". But not in the sense of an exclamatory "Fu**!" but rather along the "Holy S***!" lines[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/mbg/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/msohtml1/01/clip_image001.gif[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/mbg/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/msohtml1/01/clip_image001.gif[/IMG]
Vicente, even the priests in Spain use that word. Not in Latin America. The most likely choices I can’t use because I would be chastised by the mods - but Audrey’s choice is fine for someone not wanting a family-friendly term.

Quote:
Vicente, I guess those Spaniards are just more salty than us gringos. I met a woman at a dance who called herself "Concha". I thought I must have heard it wrong, but when she wrote her phone there it was "Concha, (206)...-..
Yeah ... that’s one of those words that has really different meanings around the countries. Conchita is a popular name in Mexico, concha is a seashell in Venezuela, and it is vulgar slang in southern South America.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote