Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-17-2010, 06:29 PM   #81
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
haha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Hooverville
Posts: 22,387
Que lastima, pero no la tomo antes de las cinco. Solo almejas y café.

Ha
__________________

__________________
"As a general rule, the more dangerous or inappropriate a conversation, the more interesting it is."-Scott Adams
haha is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2010, 04:12 PM   #82
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 607
The US was robbed! Man, what a terrible referee.
__________________

__________________
WanderALot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 05:00 PM   #83
Full time employment: Posting here.
bruce1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hagersville
Posts: 793
Watched the whole England vs Algeria game. Algeria gets a plus for defense. England was pretty lame at the start and could never really keep up sustained pressure. A few flashes of better play gives hope for next week.
__________________
I wish I was half as good as my dog thinks I am!
bruce1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 06:21 PM   #84
Moderator
ziggy29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 15,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderALot View Post
The US was robbed! Man, what a terrible referee.
Or one with an agenda.
__________________
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 03:07 AM   #85
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 13,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderALot View Post
The US was robbed! Man, what a terrible referee.

It is interesting how the games are going for the US... a goal that should not have been.. with an exciting game

Then another exciting game (coming back from 2 down) and what appeared to be a winning goal... but not...

NOW... they have to win the last one to advance... And England has to win to advance also...
__________________
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 09:24 AM   #86
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Portland/North Port
Posts: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
they have to win the last one to advance... And England has to win to advance also...
The US has better chance to advance than England since they have more goals :-)
Very exciting game indeed - I watched the matched twice.
Go USA.
__________________
neihn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 09:43 AM   #87
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
vicente solano's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Better practice a bit before your next trip to a mexican restaurant or you're gonna be really surprised at what they serve you...
MichaelB: I´m sure Samclem was pulling our legs with his bizarre translation....
__________________
I get by with a little help from my friends....ta ta ta ta ta...
vicente solano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 03:52 PM   #88
Moderator
MichaelB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Rocky Inlets
Posts: 24,492
Quote:
MichaelB: I´m sure Samclem was pulling our legs with his bizarre translation....[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/mbg/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/msohtml1/01/clip_image001.gif[/IMG]
Sure. Just in case, though, you know, ‘cause he might walk into a tough mexican cantina down along the border and think about ordering some bacon and eggs for breakfast...

Quote:
Que lastima, pero no la tomo antes de las cinco. Solo almejas y café. [IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/mbg/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/msohtml1/01/clip_image002.gif[/IMG]
Amigo Ha, ud. tiene razón. Lo dije sin pensar – yo también espero hasta la noche para tomar mi copita de vino (o dos). Es lo que mas me fastidia de esta copa mundial – el horario de juego (US).
__________________
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 03:33 PM   #89
Moderator
MichaelB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Rocky Inlets
Posts: 24,492
It has been an excellent tournament so far. Congratulations to the 8 teams that have qualified. A special thanks to the French team for its entertainment value. Quarterfinals are:

Uruguay vs Ghana

Netherlands vs Brazil

Argentina vs Germany

Paraguay vs Spain

I think it will be Uruguay, Brazil, Argentina, and Spain, then Brazil vs Argentina, Argentina wins.
__________________
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 05:32 PM   #90
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 13,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
It has been an excellent tournament so far. Congratulations to the 8 teams that have qualified. A special thanks to the French team for its entertainment value. Quarterfinals are:

Uruguay vs Ghana

Netherlands vs Brazil

Argentina vs Germany

Paraguay vs Spain

I think it will be Uruguay, Brazil, Argentina, and Spain, then Brazil vs Argentina, Argentina wins.

I have Germany beating Argentina in my bracket... but do have Uruguay, Brazil and Spain... I think it is then Brazil vs Spain.... Brazil...
__________________
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 08:44 AM   #91
Full time employment: Posting here.
bruce1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hagersville
Posts: 793
I have a close friend who is Dutch and an avid supporter of Netherlands so at this point I have to hope for Netherlands.
As far as predictions go I think we will watch Netherlands defeated by Brazil in a good game. Uruguay will win, Germany will win and Spain will win. Then Germany vs Brazil - Germany. If Netherlands gets past Brazil they will win the cup.
Note I have a bad bad record in predictions of this sort.
__________________
I wish I was half as good as my dog thinks I am!
bruce1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 12:55 PM   #92
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
vicente solano's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,116
I think Spain will beat Paraguay. But after that.... I don´t share our very optimistic media as to us being at the final match.
__________________
I get by with a little help from my friends....ta ta ta ta ta...
vicente solano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 02:49 PM   #93
Full time employment: Posting here.
bruce1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hagersville
Posts: 793
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicente solano View Post
I think Spain will beat Paraguay. But after that.... I don´t share our very optimistic media as to us being at the final match.
Best of Luck in any case
__________________
I wish I was half as good as my dog thinks I am!
bruce1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 07:12 PM   #94
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 11,616
Here's how the WSJ described the [play leading to Uruguay's victory over Ghana:

Quote:
JOHANNESBURG — Uruguay is back in the World Cup semifinals. The little country had to cheat big-time to get there, but that's another matter.


In an epic quarterfinal Friday that hinged on a blatant handball, Uruguay defeated Ghana on penalty kicks after a 1-1 draw to reach the semifinals. Uruguay striker Luis Suárez swatted away a sure Ghanaian goal at the end of extra time, drawing a red card and a penalty kick, but Ghana's Asamoah Gyan's ball hit the crossbar. Uruguay went on to win on penalty kicks, improbably returning to the semifinals for the first time since 1970 despite being one of the sport's smallest countries.
It doesn't seem to me that what Suarez did was cheating. He apparently made a very rational assessment of the cost/benefit from breaking a rule and accepting the likely penalty, then decided (correctly) that breaking it was the right thing to do for his team. If soccer fans don't like the way it was done, then they should push for a change in the penalty structure.

Now, maybe it wasn't great sportsmanship, but I certainly wouldn't characterize it as cheating. Anyway, after seeing the acting when a player gets bumped on the leg and then falls down in agony clutching his face and wailing like a schoolgirl, I'm not sure that sportsmanship is a consideration in this game, either.
__________________
"Freedom begins when you tell Mrs. Grundy to go fly a kite." - R. Heinlein
samclem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 07:26 PM   #95
Administrator
Gumby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 10,163
It seemed like a perfectly rational thing to do.
__________________
Living an analog life in the Digital Age.
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 08:58 PM   #96
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 898
It certainly was rational to break the rules as Suarez did, and it was a calculated cost-benefit analysis (last seconds of the game, certain goal to occur, so I'll hand-ball the ball from going into the goal since I can't head it out -- the penalty for that gets me kicked from the game with a red-card and who cares if I can't play the next game). But I don't see what Suarez did to be anything different from Maradona's famous hand of god play (or that of French Striker's Henry's recent hand of god that qualified France at the expense of Ireland for this World Cup). If the referee didn't see Suarez's hand ball would we not call Suarez's actions tantamount to cheating?

I don't begrude Suarez for his actions and I don't believe he stole a win from Ghana, as Ghana did not close the deal with the PK. The fact that Suarez paid the price for his actions does not diminish the fact that he violated a cardinal rule of soccer by intentionally committing a handball to prevent a certain goal.

I hope after this World Cup that FIFA makes appropriate changes so that goal line technology is used to prevent the Refs from making bad decisions regarding obvious goals and cheating a team from a goal (balls that cross the goal line as in the UK-Germany match) and that for situations like Suarez (where the defender is actually on the goal line or in the box and handballs away a goal) the rules provide for an automatic goal, red card and expulsion from continued World Cup play.
__________________
Someday this war's gonna end . . .
ChrisC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 11:26 PM   #97
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 13,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
Here's how the WSJ described the [play leading to Uruguay's victory over Ghana:

It doesn't seem to me that what Suarez did was cheating. He apparently made a very rational assessment of the cost/benefit from breaking a rule and accepting the likely penalty, then decided (correctly) that breaking it was the right thing to do for his team. If soccer fans don't like the way it was done, then they should push for a change in the penalty structure.

Now, maybe it wasn't great sportsmanship, but I certainly wouldn't characterize it as cheating. Anyway, after seeing the acting when a player gets bumped on the leg and then falls down in agony clutching his face and wailing like a schoolgirl, I'm not sure that sportsmanship is a consideration in this game, either.

I agree... if he did not handle the ball... it was a goal and time over... sure, he was thrown out and thought he had lost the game for his team... but in reality it was lost IF he did not do what he did... very interesting finish I have to say...

And.... I am way off on the picks... Brazil does an own goal... and then a guy stomps on an opponent and gets tossed... game over...

I think it is now the Netherlands to win...
__________________
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 11:33 PM   #98
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 13,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
It certainly was rational to break the rules as Suarez did, and it was a calculated cost-benefit analysis (last seconds of the game, certain goal to occur, so I'll hand-ball the ball from going into the goal since I can't head it out -- the penalty for that gets me kicked from the game with a red-card and who cares if I can't play the next game). But I don't see what Suarez did to be anything different from Maradona's famous hand of god play (or that of French Striker's Henry's recent hand of god that qualified France at the expense of Ireland for this World Cup). If the referee didn't see Suarez's hand ball would we not call Suarez's actions tantamount to cheating?

I don't begrude Suarez for his actions and I don't believe he stole a win from Ghana, as Ghana did not close the deal with the PK. The fact that Suarez paid the price for his actions does not diminish the fact that he violated a cardinal rule of soccer by intentionally committing a handball to prevent a certain goal.

I hope after this World Cup that FIFA makes appropriate changes so that goal line technology is used to prevent the Refs from making bad decisions regarding obvious goals and cheating a team from a goal (balls that cross the goal line as in the UK-Germany match) and that for situations like Suarez (where the defender is actually on the goal line or in the box and handballs away a goal) the rules provide for an automatic goal, red card and expulsion from continued World Cup play.

I will agree with you on the goals... something needs to be done... and possibly even a couple of sideline reviews options like in football... like today.. I think it was the second game... the ball was struck at the net and the goaltender hit it into the side of the net... but it was not seen... IF the coach wanted to challenge... he can use one of his X (2 3)... calls... he might do that because a corner is something you want...

I disagree with you on the handball... the penalty is already one of the harshest in the game... a red card... and a PK... there are hand balls in the box which might not have scored... sure, this one was easy... but not all calls are that easy.... and you do have handballs that are not planned... I think it was England who got called for one... the guy kicked it so hard the defender could not move and it hit his arm...

Just like football... they do not give you the touchdown if you got a penalty... now, they do in basketball on a goal tend.... but their score is so high that it can be made up easier... one goal in soccer can be the game... sooooo, you make your PK, you get the goal.... easy...
__________________
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 08:39 AM   #99
Moderator
MichaelB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Rocky Inlets
Posts: 24,492
Rules. Sometimes they work, other times they suck. The fact is Uruguay moves on, Ghana goes home, and Suarez won’t be traveling to Africa anytime soon. He will be remembered for years as a hero in Uruguay and a lout in Ghana.

Anybody remember Maradona’s “hand of God” goal that allowed Argentina to beat England in the ’86 cup?

I think FIFA is afraid of technology. It must be a personal thing – how it affects the governing body and their personal grip or influence. Far too many bad calls over the years that have changed the outcome of the games played.
__________________
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 10:02 AM   #100
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 898
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
I disagree with you on the handball... the penalty is already one of the harshest in the game... a red card... and a PK... there are hand balls in the box which might not have scored... sure, this one was easy... but not all calls are that easy.... and you do have handballs that are not planned... I think it was England who got called for one... the guy kicked it so hard the defender could not move and it hit his arm...

Just like football... they do not give you the touchdown if you got a penalty... now, they do in basketball on a goal tend.... but their score is so high that it can be made up easier... one goal in soccer can be the game... sooooo, you make your PK, you get the goal.... easy...
A red card, PK and disqualification from the next game as a penalty in the Suarez situation (the defender is behind the goal line and hand balls a certain goal) is simply not good enough especially on the last play of the game with the game tied. That's a huge injustice. Not talking about a hand ball in the box, but one from inside the goal line done intentionally. I think Refs should have discretion in cases like Suarez to give an automatic goal or TKO the violator by awarding the game to the other side -- that to me is fair.
__________________

__________________
Someday this war's gonna end . . .
ChrisC is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Confederation Cup! MichaelB Other topics 13 06-30-2009 08:23 AM
Amazing Race All Star Edition starts tomorrow (Sunday) night on CBS bssc Other topics 5 02-20-2007 08:49 AM
World Cup in Berlin ESRBob Other topics 3 06-28-2006 01:21 PM
World Cup Grouping? Sam Other topics 7 06-15-2006 02:29 PM
Sorry, it's my 1st cup of coffee MJ Other topics 30 04-13-2006 03:22 PM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:20 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.