Worlds cheapest car - India's $2500 Nano unveiled

Trek

Full time employment: Posting here.
Tata Motors has unveiled the world's cheapest motor car at India's biggest car show in the capital, Delhi.

The vehicle, called the Tata Nano, will sell for 100,000 rupees or $2,500 (£1,277) and enable those in developing countries to move to four wheels.
The four-door five-seater car, which goes on sale later this year, has a 33bhp, 624cc, engine at the rear.
It has no air conditioning, no electric windows and no power steering, but two deluxe models will be on offer.

BBC NEWS | Business | World's cheapest car goes on show

_44347145_tata_car_416.jpg

That will be an affordable car to millions of people from India and surrounding areas who are probably getting by with bicycles right now,not the best environmental move.As for coming here? we already have golf carts..
Some previous renditions of Micro Cars
The Vintage Microcar Club Cars List

NotSoonEnough said:
In a similar vein, Nightline did an interview with Dr Z in a segment on Daimler's tiny "Smart" car last night, about $12,000 and 40-45 MPG.

There's quite a few of those Smart cars driving around the city here. Also popular are Mercedes little A Class.

72-mercedes-a-class.jpg

The model T was a lot better than a horse. This is a lot better than a moped with four people trying to sit on it.

There's quite a few of those Smart cars driving around the city here. Also popular are Mercedes little A Class.

72-mercedes-a-class.jpg

Anybody see the video where they crashed a Smart Car into a concrete barrier head-on at 70mph? They were able to OPEN the DOORS after the crash..........:eek:

Should be crash-worthy, much like the Mini Coopers are..............

If you think oil prices are high now, just wait till this thing gets into full production. I don't know the demographics of the Indian population, but if only 10% of them give up their bikes for this, then demand will go way up.

Tata Motors has unveiled the world's cheapest motor car at India's biggest car show in the capital, Delhi.

The vehicle, called the Tata Nano, will sell for 100,000 rupees or $2,500 (£1,277) and enable those in developing countries to move to four wheels.
The four-door five-seater car, which goes on sale later this year, has a 33bhp, 624cc, engine at the rear.
It has no air conditioning, no electric windows and no power steering, but two deluxe models will be on offer.

BBC NEWS | Business | World's cheapest car goes on show

_44347145_tata_car_416.jpg

I think it'll do very well in India but I wouldn't want to drive it in Wisconsin in winter so I won't be getting one.

I doubt it will pass US polution or safety standards. My guess you will not see the $2,500 car here unless it is a 1983 chevy.

Notice the top speed is only 43mph,wouldnt last a day on this side of the pond..

They'd never approve it for the US and though they point out it passes EU emissions, I can't imagine it would pass for safety.

My car has 6 (or 8?) airbags and I wouldn't drive anything with less.

Anybody see the video where they crashed a Smart Car into a concrete barrier head-on at 70mph? They were able to OPEN the DOORS after the crash..........:eek:

Should be crash-worthy, much like the Mini Coopers are..............

Easy to get the bodies out.

I don't know how safe or reliable that car will turn out to be, but it is pretty impressive they feel they can crank those out $2500 (the base model) and make a profit.

Even with the low top end speed (43 mph) I'd think that there are lots of places in the U.S. where it would be acceptable as a second commuter car. I'm sure the price would double to meet U.S. safety & emission standards, but that's still about $5K less than anyone else's product. If it lasted five years you'd get your nickel's worth.

Could be that, some day, cities will limit the use of vehicles in inner cities, as a way to reduce congestion and pollution. These vehicles would be ideal in this application. No one else to collide with but other Nanos...

As far as safety, remember that this is an upgrade purchase from a bicycle or a moped to the car. I'm thinking that something crashing into this is better than something crashing into a bike.

Heard Charlie Gibson claim that only 7 out of 1000 - seven out of one thousand - Indians have cars. I have so little comprehension of other countries and what others have or do not have.

Don't we have these already? They're called golf carts.
How much for one of these babies?

As far as safety, remember that this is an upgrade purchase from a bicycle or a moped to the car. I'm thinking that something crashing into this is better than something crashing into a bike.

I wonder if they're going to require driving tests to be licensed to drive one? If not, you might see lots more Nanos crashing than mopeds ever did.

Back
Top Bottom