Worlds cheapest car - India's $2500 Nano unveiled

Heard Charlie Gibson claim that only 7 out of 1000 - seven out of one thousand - Indians have cars. I have so little comprehension of other countries and what others have or do not have.

At MegaMotors, I worked with an number of Indian engineers, most with advanced degrees, and it was not unusual for them to have just learned to drive after coming to the US.

Uh... this morning the SF Chronicle reports that these will sell for $2,500... in the United States.

Geez Louise.

Uh... this morning the SF Chronicle reports that these will sell for $2,500... in the United States.
Geez Louise.

No way they can sell it in it's current form in the West.

The Tata Nano will launch in India later this year, though as currently engineered it will not be available in North America.

http://www.auto123.com/en/info/news/news,view.spy?artid=93439&pg=1

"To be approved for sale in Europe the company will likely have to make major technical improvements in safety and pollution controls which would raise its price."

INDIA The Nano makes Indians dream, leaves Westerners sceptical - Asia News

From 'The Times of India'

But prospective customers hoping that Tata would drive to the American market were told by all outlets that the Nano wouldn't be available in the US anytime soon.

Beyond the fact Tata doesn't have dealer network in the US (although it is about to take Land Rover and Jaguar off Ford's hands), the Nano almost certainly wouldn't meet US emissions and safety regulations, Wired magazine advised the enthusiasts.

US gives a grudging thumbs-up to Tata's Nano-The United States-World-The Times of India

The Tata Nano will launch in India later this year, though as currently engineered it will not be available in North America.

Another indication that my local rag is just that.

In related news, though, does anyone know who these Tata people are? I work in software marketing for megacorp and have heard tell of a partner named Tata Consulting.

Is that just a common name in India (excuse my extreme ignorance here) or is there some massive conglomerate over there with a finger in every pie?

Oh, the inhumanity!
I once owned a car with no AC, no power steering, and crank windows...yep, used it to go hunting the Indians out Wyoming way.
I spose the grandkids will believe the Indian bit, but no way on the hand crank windows, manual steering and no AC.:eek:

I once owned a car with no AC, no power steering, and crank windows...yep, used it to go hunting the Indians out Wyoming way.
I spose the grandkids will believe the Indian bit, but no way on the hand crank windows, manual steering and no AC.:eek:

I had a car like that until a few months ago; I still miss it.

i think if you got in an accident with this thing basically its like just getting run over

There are other Tata models for sale in Italy:
Listino - Auto nuove - Quattroruote

As far as gas mileage goes.. There are 574 models listed on Quattroruote that get over 47mpg already (under 5 liters/100Km). A lot of them are various versions of the same basic model.. but there are a lot of models besides the Smart that get excellent mileage.

In order of consumption low->high, excluding Smart:

SEAT (a spanish co.) Ibiza -----(61mpg)
Mini Cooper
Volkswagen Polo
Citroen C1
Peugeot 107
Toyota Aygo
Renault Clio
Fiat 500
Renault Twingo
Fiat Panda
Citroen C2
Peugeot 206
Lancia Ypsilon
Ford Focus
Toyota Prius
Daihatsu Cuore
Kia Picanto
Ford Fiesta
Citroen C3
Fiat Punto
Hyundai Getz
Toyota Yaris
Ford Fusion
Renault Modus
Renault Mégane
Volkswagen Golf
Volkswagen Jetta
Audi A3
BMW 118
Dacia Logan (never heard of Dacia)
Suzuki Swift
Opel Corsa
Hyundai Accent
Mitsubishi Colt
Skoda Fabia
Hyundai Accent
SEAT Cordoba
Fiat Grande Punto
Opel Tigra
Lancia Musa
Honda Civic
Tata Indica
Nissan Micra
Kia Rio
Mazda 2
Hyundai i30
Kia cee'd
Peugeot 1007
Peugeot 308
Mazda 3
Citroen C4
BMW 318
Daihatsu Trevis
Opel Astra
Ford C-max
BMW 120
BMW 320
Opel Agila
Fiat Idea
Mercedes A 160
Volvo C30
Renault Laguna
Volvo S40
Daihatsu Sirion
Volkswagen Fox
Subaru Justy
Suzuki Ignia
Toyota Auris
SEAT Leon
Opel Meriva
Opel Zafira
Volkswagen Passat
Volvo V50 -------------- (47mpg)

many of these are diesel, but by no means all. Of course they all cost a lot more than the Nano!

What we also have running around here are a sort of "microcar", a car/scooter hybrid. Because they are under a certain number of cc.s, in Italy 14-year olds are allowed to drive them as long as they have a scooter license! But they can't go on the highway. Piaggio and other companies make them.

microcars,smart micro cars and quadricycles - about

They're just as expensive as a regular car, though!:
Minicar aixam - vendita, assistenza e ricambi Aixam a Roma, Via Nemorense 151
cheapest is €9300 or $13,700 !!!
Some well-off 14-yr-olds...

This looks cool:
MIT's Stackable, Foldable "City Car" : TreeHugger

I'd buy two of them and park them close together. So everyday I could say I get to squeeze myself between a pair of Tata's. :p

Aww you know, I almost went there yesterday and decided it was just too juvenile even for me. ;)

Glad once again that there are still heroes on the er forum who can pull in the slack when needed. I dont have to be worried about being hit by a bus anymore...

Good trigger on caroline's question on "who these tata's are"... :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom