Join Early Retirement Today

World's fastest street legal car
Old 11-07-2017, 05:43 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

World's fastest street legal car

The Koenigsegg Agera RS. It recently set a new world record for a street legal vehicle of 284 mph (457 kph) on a closed highway in Nevada:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=xj4gar5dKAU

Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2017, 05:48 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'd like to see a highway trooper catch up with that! Talk about fast. I can envision one of them going from Barstow to the state line. No, I am not promoting the idea as it's dangerous and illegal, but it did get my imagination going.

Old 11-07-2017, 05:53 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

WOW! And only $1.6M.

Target AA: 45% equity funds / 30% bond funds / 25% cash - radically changed Nov 2018
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 05:58 PM   #4

Read last summer about a Ford dealership in Ohio building up new Mustang GTs to 727 HP for $39,999. Don't know how fast, but must be pretty fast.........
"Lebanon Ford Performance (LFP) has found a way to build a 727 horsepower - 2017 Mustang GT for: $39,995. This is a brand new, 2017 GT with a ROUSH Phase 2 Supercharger. When we are finished, you are a set of tires, a few suspension tweaks and a good driver away from a 10.95 quarter mile. If you choose an in stock/inventory car (i.e.. stock number 170123) from us, your car will be ready in 2-3 weeks. Custom ordered cars (i.e.. we place an order through Ford for a stock unit) will be ready in approximately 10-12 weeks and can be shipped to your drive way, anywhere in the United States."
brucethebroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 06:06 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucethebroker View Post
Read last summer about a Ford dealership in Ohio building up new Mustang GTs to 727 HP for $39,999. Don't know how fast, but must be pretty fast.........
"Lebanon Ford Performance (LFP) has found a way to build a 727 horsepower - 2017 Mustang GT for: $39,995. This is a brand new, 2017 GT with a ROUSH Phase 2 Supercharger. When we are finished, you are a set of tires, a few suspension tweaks and a good driver away from a 10.95 quarter mile. If you choose an in stock/inventory car (i.e.. stock number 170123) from us, your car will be ready in 2-3 weeks. Custom ordered cars (i.e.. we place an order through Ford for a stock unit) will be ready in approximately 10-12 weeks and can be shipped to your drive way, anywhere in the United States."
You do not need that much HP to run 10s in the quarter. Most naturally aspirated Camaros' can do that with less than 500 rwhp.
Old 11-08-2017, 06:21 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

My last vehicle was a Mercedes with an amazing twin turbo V8 and way too much power to really use on public roads. Fun passing on two lane country roads and accelerating down the occasional on-ramp but otherwise a waste of engineering and premium gas. Replaced it with the opposite powertrain - a miserly diesel version that gets 650 miles per tank in mixed city/highway driving and seems so more appropriate for busy public roads around where I live. Do I miss that beautiful engine sometimes? You bet!
Sittinginthesun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 06:33 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Shifting into high gear at 230 MPH - that's just amazing! I'd like to take a ride in that thing.

There's a Commander Cody song from back in the day and one of the lines in the song indicates the "lines on the road just look like dots" and that was true in this video from about 150 MPH on.

Old 11-08-2017, 06:38 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnrealizedPotential View Post
I'd like to see a highway trooper catch up with that! Talk about fast. I can envision one of them going from Barstow to the state line. No, I am not promoting the idea as it's dangerous and illegal, but it did get my imagination going.
They do not have to catch it. They can just wait for it at the next gas station...
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 06:46 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvestysly View Post
Shifting into high gear at 230 MPH - that's just amazing! I'd like to take a ride in that thing.

+1. I couldn’t believe it when he shifted at 230. That would be one heck of a ride. The car sounded capable of 280 when it first took off.
Old 11-08-2017, 07:42 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Huh, that's pretty fast. If it is officially recognized, it has broken Rudolf Caracciola's old record, which had been standing since 1938:

https://www.mercedes-benz.com/en/mer...ternal-record/
Old 11-08-2017, 09:19 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RISP View Post
Huh, that's pretty fast. If it is officially recognized, it has broken Rudolf Caracciola's old record, which had been standing since 1938:

https://www.mercedes-benz.com/en/mer...ternal-record/
Interesting. I thought I saw somewhere that a Bugatti Chiron had set a new record recently (before the Agera but clearly after the Mercedes). Maybe they're somewhat different record categories.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 09:35 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post
Interesting. I thought I saw somewhere that a Bugatti Chiron had set a new record recently (before the Agera but clearly after the Mercedes). Maybe they're somewhat different record categories.
Probably something like 'world's fastest production car', but not 'fastest speed on public roads'.
Old 11-08-2017, 09:36 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RISP View Post
Probably something like 'world's fastest production car', but not 'fastest speed on public roads'.
Yes, that is the difference. Street legal as well. -ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 11:58 AM   #14

Quote:
I'd like to see a highway trooper catch up with that!
When I was on the road I wouldn't have bothered trying. I was never suicidal.
Old 11-08-2017, 12:11 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
When I was on the road I wouldn't have bothered trying. I was never suicidal.
No, but all anyone would have to do is radio ahead and put spike strips down. It would probably be a simple matter.
Old 11-08-2017, 12:44 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
They do not have to catch it. They can just wait for it at the next gas station...
A few years ago I read an article about the 250+ mph Bugatti Veyron. One thing I remember was the tires on the car were only rated to run 250mph for 15 mins but that was okay since the car would run out of gas in about 12 mins at top speed.

I never tried it but they say even a base model Corvette will burn up an entire tank of gas in about 75 miles at top speed. (about 190mph). Personally, I have driven several of my cars to 160+ a few times (on a track of course) but I never held that speed more than a minute at a time. (could have gone faster but the car had more testosterone than I did) Can't even imagine what it's like to drive a car at >280.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 12:49 PM   #17

Quote:
No, but all anyone would have to do is radio ahead and put spike strips down. It would probably be a simple matter.
Not even an overzealous officer would use spike strips in such a case. It would most likely be a death sentence for speeding. More likely, officers would show up at the guys house an hour later and ask for a ride. (How many such cars are currently in the US? Maybe half a dozen? Wouldn't be difficult to figure out who owns it even without a tag no.) YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 01:29 PM   #18

More fun to have a slow car and to drive it to it's limits . Than to have an exceptionally fast car and drive it slow all the time.
Breedlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 01:40 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breedlove View Post
More fun to have a slow car and to drive it to it's limits . Than to have an exceptionally fast car and drive it slow all the time.
The real Breedlove (Craig) would never say such a thing.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 02:36 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
A few years ago I read an article about the 250+ mph Bugatti Veyron. One thing I remember was the tires on the car were only rated to run 250mph for 15 mins but that was okay since the car would run out of gas in about 12 mins at top speed.

I never tried it but they say even a base model Corvette will burn up an entire tank of gas in about 75 miles at top speed. (about 190mph). Personally, I have driven several of my cars to 160+ a few times (on a track of course) but I never held that speed more than a minute at a time. (could have gone faster but the car had more testosterone than I did) Can't even imagine what it's like to drive a car at >280.
When I was a kid I drove old gas log trucks in PA. When the thing was loaded you were wide open except downhill. Big V8s with big carbs, we would get 1-2 MPG.

They wouldn't go 200 MPH either.

MRG is online now   Reply With Quote