Worlds gone Topsy Turvy

JustMeUC

Recycles dryer sheets
I was at the pilates studio tonight and overheard some women talking. Keep in mind these are mostly professional educated women, including one who happens to be a physician. There were talking about the Amero (sp)? which was possibly going to be the new currency after the dollar collapses. They were talking quietly amongst themselves and they were absolutely serious. One of the women said that she had been stocking up on 50# bags of rice from Sams Club for the upcoming famine that Glen Beck had been talking about and the rest of the women started chiming in about how they really needed to do the same. I know people are scared, nervous about the market and such but... :confused:

Am I crazy, or has the world gone topsy turvy on me?

What a bizarre thing to overhear. :eek:
Straight from extreme fear often comes fantasy (Amero?) and/or oddball plans they make (rice hoarding) to feel like they have some kind of control.
My guess is the situation is making people feel very afraid :hide: and also completely helpless :-\.
If I were in hock up to my eyeballs and faced j*b loss, I'd be scared ****less.
Being FIREd insulates us from a lot of that.

I was at the pilates studio tonight and overheard some women talking. Keep in mind these are mostly professional educated women, including one who happens to be a physician. There were talking about the Amero (sp)? which was possibly going to be the new currency after the dollar collapses. They were talking quietly amongst themselves and they were absolutely serious. One of the women said that she had been stocking up on 50# bags of rice from Sams Club for the upcoming famine that Glen Beck had been talking about and the rest of the women started chiming in about how they really needed to do the same. I know people are scared, nervous about the market and such but... :confused:

Does anyone else recall the runup to Y2K survivalist shtick?

The problem is that some people can profit from fear so they spread it whenever and wherever they can. Not the most responsible thing to do in an economy in desperate need of a little confidence.

Yup. My MIL stocked up on canned goods, dry goods, cooking oil, batteries, firewood, etc. The whole family is still trying to use up some of the stuff up before it needs to be thrown out.

There's still a couple of cases of Spam left, but that stuff will proabably outlast me.:D

Oh yea, all power plants would trip offline, trains will stop, airplanes fall from the sky.
All the suckers bought generators.

My investment was buying a long hot dog cooking prod, used, $2.00. Still have it. Hanging next to the fireplace.

The doom and gloom merchants are working on a profit angle.

Also, 1980s nuclear war

+++
Gun sales and ammo sales are up.

Eh, the "smartest" lady of the group probably started talking about it and the others did not want to appear dumb so they joined in. My guess is they went their separate ways to get a massage and manicure.....

Gun sales and ammo sales are up.

One should never be low on ammo. Always replenish after practice.
cool.gif

Lately, I have been wondering the same thing. I am usually a pretty optimistic person and have a fairly even personality. I don't get too high or too low. I received an email from a former boss, who is an intelligent guy, and I was blown away by the negative attitude on the economy. He was one of the best bosses that I ever had and was usually very happy go lucky at work. He encouraged me to get into the stock market years ago. He is now completely out of stocks and in cash and gold. He stated that he did not know how much longer cash would be good. He talked about upcoming food and fuel shortages and civil unrest and riots that could happen as early as this summer. He said that was the predictions of the people that he had been reading and so far, they had been right on the money with their previous predictions. It completely blew me away. I wrote back to him and asked him who he had been reading. He stated that one was Gerald Celente and another one was the Dollar Collapse and you could find them by googling them. I was looking at them a bit last night and I have to admit that I started feeling a little nervous.

Then my DH came up to go to bed and as he was leaving the room, he turned and asked me if I knew the world was supposed to come to an end in 2012. I asked him what he was talking about, while thinking this is nuts. He said that a bunch of guys were talking about it at work and that it was a prediction made by Nostradamus. Sure enough, there are websites talking about this. My DH is already on medicine for anxiety and does not need to be hearing this. I told him that different people had had the world ending at many different times in the past and we are still here. I also told him that I did not think that anyone had a direct line to God and he was telling them when he would end the world.

So yes, I do think that a lot of people are feeling fairly shook up right now. There world is topsy-turvy and they are feeding into all of the negativity that is out there right now. I keep thinking that with that kind of thinking, it will be quite a while before the economy turns around. We need optimism in the world and things don't look quite so optimistic right now.

Remember it all too well. DH and I were considered Y2K essential and spent new years e-mailing back and forth with folks from the office. The only thing I broke down and bought was a gallon of bottled water at the grocery store. I got caught up in the herd mentality when I saw folks loading up their carts with the stuff:blink:

There's still a couple of cases of Spam left, but that stuff will proabably outlast me.:D
You can send that stuff over here...

I received an email from a former boss, who is an intelligent guy, and I was blown away by the negative attitude on the economy. He was one of the best bosses that I ever had and was usually very happy go lucky at work. He encouraged me to get into the stock market years ago. He is now completely out of stocks and in cash and gold. He stated that he did not know how much longer cash would be good. He talked about upcoming food and fuel shortages and civil unrest and riots that could happen as early as this summer. He said that was the predictions of the people that he had been reading and so far, they had been right on the money with their previous predictions.
He said that a bunch of guys were talking about it at work and that it was a prediction made by Nostradamus. Sure enough, there are websites talking about this. My DH is already on medicine for anxiety and does not need to be hearing this.
We need optimism in the world and things don't look quite so optimistic right now.
I'm optimistic that capitulation is finally near!

I wonder if Wall Street will set up an exchange for trading Nostradamus futures. Sounds like the next bubble...

The only thing I broke down and bought was a gallon of bottled water at the grocery store. I got caught up in the herd mentality when I saw folks loading up their carts with the stuff:blink:
Sociologists call those marketing tactics "social approval" and "artificial scarcity".

Jeez, between the "Amero", Dreamer's old boss' prediction, it is good thing I hung on to my Y2K hot dog prod.;)

DW and I will be able to utilize the special two pronged feature of this here prod to make two hot dogs at the same time over the [-]campfire[/-] fireplace embers.
coolsmiley.gif
All the while feeling smug about the pot of Au [-](gold)[/-] buried in an undisclosed location.:greetings10:

No, you are not crazy. Most people do not realize that the amount of credit has gone way beyond what the system can bear.

This is a problem of modern times, cannot be compared to depression of 30's, different times, different values. Our economy is built on a precarious cliff of credit, and it is starting to crack.

The geniuses in government and industry are trying to put us back where we were before much inability to pay debts was exposed causing the markets to go down and people getting layed off.

This is no joke, the sky is not falling, but the only way we can turn the clock back 4 or 5 years is to go back into denial of our real problem, overextention of credit.

The bill is due, the balloon payments have to be made, we ate more than we needed to, now we pay. Best thing to do is continue with Pilates, good for body and mind, and just let the chips falls where they may, its the natural thing. Laws of economics are just as valid as any other physical law, you have to pay the piper to keep balance.

Jug
Karma dude:whistle:

I wonder if Wall Street will set up an exchange for trading Nostradamus futures. Sounds like the next bubble...

Good one. :LOL:

DW informed me that the 2012 thing is where the Mayan calendar foretells the world ending. Inquiring minds want to know.

Free

Back
Top Bottom