Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Worlds gone Topsy Turvy
Old 03-03-2009, 05:43 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Worlds gone Topsy Turvy

I was at the pilates studio tonight and overheard some women talking. Keep in mind these are mostly professional educated women, including one who happens to be a physician. There were talking about the Amero (sp)? which was possibly going to be the new currency after the dollar collapses. They were talking quietly amongst themselves and they were absolutely serious. One of the women said that she had been stocking up on 50# bags of rice from Sams Club for the upcoming famine that Glen Beck had been talking about and the rest of the women started chiming in about how they really needed to do the same. I know people are scared, nervous about the market and such but...

Am I crazy, or has the world gone topsy turvy on me?
JustMeUC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2009, 05:49 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Side effect of pilates.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 05:53 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

What a bizarre thing to overhear.
Straight from extreme fear often comes fantasy (Amero?) and/or oddball plans they make (rice hoarding) to feel like they have some kind of control.
My guess is the situation is making people feel very afraid and also completely helpless .
If I were in hock up to my eyeballs and faced j*b loss, I'd be scared ****less.
Being FIREd insulates us from a lot of that.
Old 03-03-2009, 05:57 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Most of us lived through the 60s.
How bad could this be?

Free to canoe
Free To Canoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 06:00 PM   #5
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMeUC View Post
I was at the pilates studio tonight and overheard some women talking. Keep in mind these are mostly professional educated women, including one who happens to be a physician. There were talking about the Amero (sp)? which was possibly going to be the new currency after the dollar collapses. They were talking quietly amongst themselves and they were absolutely serious. One of the women said that she had been stocking up on 50# bags of rice from Sams Club for the upcoming famine that Glen Beck had been talking about and the rest of the women started chiming in about how they really needed to do the same. I know people are scared, nervous about the market and such but...

Does anyone else recall the runup to Y2K survivalist shtick?
Old 03-03-2009, 06:06 PM   #6

Buy Amero now before the rush!

AmeroCurrency. com *** Buy 2009 Ameros Here--Gold, Silver & Copper***Now Manufactured On Amero Denver Mint Press--The Original Ameros***The Amero Dollar***Buy Amero Coins Here
eridanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 06:07 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

The problem is that some people can profit from fear so they spread it whenever and wherever they can. Not the most responsible thing to do in an economy in desperate need of a little confidence.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 06:08 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Yup. My MIL stocked up on canned goods, dry goods, cooking oil, batteries, firewood, etc. The whole family is still trying to use up some of the stuff up before it needs to be thrown out.

There's still a couple of cases of Spam left, but that stuff will proabably outlast me.
IBWino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 06:12 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free To Canoe View Post
Most of us lived through the 60s.
How bad could this be?

Free to canoe
What was wrong with the 60s? I'd go back anytime.

Ha
Old 03-03-2009, 06:17 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Oh yea, all power plants would trip offline, trains will stop, airplanes fall from the sky.
All the suckers bought generators.

My investment was buying a long hot dog cooking prod, used, $2.00. Still have it. Hanging next to the fireplace.

The doom and gloom merchants are working on a profit angle.
Old 03-03-2009, 06:20 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Also, 1980s nuclear war

+++
Gun sales and ammo sales are up.
Old 03-03-2009, 06:23 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post

Ha
Wait! While I pack my bags.
Free To Canoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 06:37 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMeUC View Post

Eh, the "smartest" lady of the group probably started talking about it and the others did not want to appear dumb so they joined in. My guess is they went their separate ways to get a massage and manicure.....
Old 03-03-2009, 07:14 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post
Gun sales and ammo sales are up.
One should never be low on ammo. Always replenish after practice.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:21 PM   #15
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post

Ha

I'd go back if I could still wear bell bottoms , platforms , tie dye and knew were I hid my stash .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 08:19 AM   #16

Lately, I have been wondering the same thing. I am usually a pretty optimistic person and have a fairly even personality. I don't get too high or too low. I received an email from a former boss, who is an intelligent guy, and I was blown away by the negative attitude on the economy. He was one of the best bosses that I ever had and was usually very happy go lucky at work. He encouraged me to get into the stock market years ago. He is now completely out of stocks and in cash and gold. He stated that he did not know how much longer cash would be good. He talked about upcoming food and fuel shortages and civil unrest and riots that could happen as early as this summer. He said that was the predictions of the people that he had been reading and so far, they had been right on the money with their previous predictions. It completely blew me away. I wrote back to him and asked him who he had been reading. He stated that one was Gerald Celente and another one was the Dollar Collapse and you could find them by googling them. I was looking at them a bit last night and I have to admit that I started feeling a little nervous.

Then my DH came up to go to bed and as he was leaving the room, he turned and asked me if I knew the world was supposed to come to an end in 2012. I asked him what he was talking about, while thinking this is nuts. He said that a bunch of guys were talking about it at work and that it was a prediction made by Nostradamus. Sure enough, there are websites talking about this. My DH is already on medicine for anxiety and does not need to be hearing this. I told him that different people had had the world ending at many different times in the past and we are still here. I also told him that I did not think that anyone had a direct line to God and he was telling them when he would end the world.

So yes, I do think that a lot of people are feeling fairly shook up right now. There world is topsy-turvy and they are feeding into all of the negativity that is out there right now. I keep thinking that with that kind of thinking, it will be quite a while before the economy turns around. We need optimism in the world and things don't look quite so optimistic right now.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 08:29 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
Side effect of pilates.

What others are there? Any from yoga?

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 08:41 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Remember it all too well. DH and I were considered Y2K essential and spent new years e-mailing back and forth with folks from the office. The only thing I broke down and bought was a gallon of bottled water at the grocery store. I got caught up in the herd mentality when I saw folks loading up their carts with the stuff
Old 03-04-2009, 08:54 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBWino View Post
There's still a couple of cases of Spam left, but that stuff will proabably outlast me.
You can send that stuff over here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
I received an email from a former boss, who is an intelligent guy, and I was blown away by the negative attitude on the economy. He was one of the best bosses that I ever had and was usually very happy go lucky at work. He encouraged me to get into the stock market years ago. He is now completely out of stocks and in cash and gold. He stated that he did not know how much longer cash would be good. He talked about upcoming food and fuel shortages and civil unrest and riots that could happen as early as this summer. He said that was the predictions of the people that he had been reading and so far, they had been right on the money with their previous predictions.
He said that a bunch of guys were talking about it at work and that it was a prediction made by Nostradamus. Sure enough, there are websites talking about this. My DH is already on medicine for anxiety and does not need to be hearing this.
We need optimism in the world and things don't look quite so optimistic right now.
I'm optimistic that capitulation is finally near!

I wonder if Wall Street will set up an exchange for trading Nostradamus futures. Sounds like the next bubble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
The only thing I broke down and bought was a gallon of bottled water at the grocery store. I got caught up in the herd mentality when I saw folks loading up their carts with the stuff
Sociologists call those marketing tactics "social approval" and "artificial scarcity".

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 09:12 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Jeez, between the "Amero", Dreamer's old boss' prediction, it is good thing I hung on to my Y2K hot dog prod.

DW and I will be able to utilize the special two pronged feature of this here prod to make two hot dogs at the same time over the campfire fireplace embers. All the while feeling smug about the pot of Au (gold) buried in an undisclosed location.