Join Early Retirement Today

Worlds Tallest Building (Dubai Tower)
Old 12-05-2009, 08:47 AM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

Worlds Tallest Building (Dubai Tower)

Look at the Gold bands.
The Empire State Building is as tall as the second band.
The building is two and ― time taller. WOW

For a view from the top, open this

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2009, 09:13 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

All that borrowed money...

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 09:44 AM   #3
Administrator

Ugh!! When I worked (love the sound of that phrase! ) I worked on the 6th floor. Even that was higher than I really cared for, especially after 9/11.

But think of it - - somebody probably has to work near the top of the Dubai tower. As for me, I wouldn't even go up there to see the view.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 09:59 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

World Record BASE Jump // Current
Old 12-05-2009, 10:34 AM   #5
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Now THERE's a nightmare for someone with fear of heights! Pretty impressive, especially considering that they climbed the stairs to the 160th floor in an hour and ten minutes, despite oppressive heat and humidity.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 12-05-2009, 11:26 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I was reading about it last week. I live near Chicago and I've seen the Sears Tower in person hundreds of times and it seems ridiculously tall at 1,730 feet. But the Burj Dubai is much, much taller at 2,684. It looks so out of scale it destroys the skyline - but I doubt they care about that, it's a pure show of wealth (or debt as the case may be).

And if you can imagine, they've drawn up plans for another that's 20% taller than Burj Dubai, the Nakheel Tower. We have a new leader in the more money than brains club.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 11:35 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Cool. Very cool. Thanks Al!
Old 12-06-2009, 06:28 PM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Now THERE's a nightmare for someone with fear of heights! Pretty impressive, especially considering that they climbed the stairs to the 160th floor in an hour and ten minutes, despite oppressive heat and humidity.
Dating from the 40s, the Haiku stairs (Haiku Stairs: A 3,922 stair steel structure from the bottom of the Haiku Valley, near Kaneohe on the windward side of O`ahu) is the tallest man-made structure in these parts. It's all OUTSIDE so any fear of heights is, well, heightened.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 07:44 PM   #9
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
Dating from the 40s, the Haiku stairs (Haiku Stairs: A 3,922 stair steel structure from the bottom of the Haiku Valley, near Kaneohe on the windward side of O`ahu) is the tallest man-made structure in these parts. It's all OUTSIDE so any fear of heights is, well, heightened.
Is that near Haiku Gardens? I don't really remember those stairs at all. There used to be outside, unprotected stairs at the University of Hawaii, from down in the rock quarry (where freshmen parked) to the rest of the campus. I think it was only about 6-10 stories, though.

I have climbed the Pali in many locations, in my youth and it didn't bother me a bit despite the steep drop-offs right beneath me. Airplanes don't bother me, either. But I don't like to be too close to panoramic windows in high rise buildings, the glass elevator up to the Top of the Ilikai was terrifying to me.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 12-06-2009, 08:57 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
This post is "useless" without pictures.
Old 12-06-2009, 10:25 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
This post is "useless" without pictures.
Here you go!

haiku stairs - Google Images

Much aloha!

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 10:45 PM   #12

Thanks!
Old 12-06-2009, 11:57 PM   #13

As an exercise in market timing, how many of the tallest buildings listed in Midpack's post were conceived/launched during a boom and completed during a downturn?

Off the top of my head:

Empire State Building - was completed during the Great Depression
Burj Dubai - current events say it all
Canary Wharf - brought down the Reichman Brothers IIRC

Not sure about the others on the list.

I can think of several other monuments to the ego of their developers around the world that ended up being symbolic of market peaks and financial difficulties for those involved.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:37 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Well, La Sagrada Familia in Barcelona was started in 1882 and isn't finished yet. How many recessions is that?

La Sagrada Familia By Antonio Gaudi
Old 12-07-2009, 11:25 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
There used to be outside, unprotected stairs at the University of Hawaii, from down in the rock quarry (where freshmen parked) to the rest of the campus. I think it was only about 6-10 stories, though.

Boy, that brings back memories since my ROTC classes were on the lower campus.
Old 12-08-2009, 11:55 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Well, La Sagrada Familia in Barcelona was started in 1882 and isn't finished yet. How many recessions is that?

La Sagrada Familia By Antonio Gaudi
That is something that I canīt undrstand. But the Catalans donīt seem to be bothered by that absurd delay.
Old 12-08-2009, 12:28 PM   #17
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicente solano View Post
That is something that I canīt undrstand. But the Catalans donīt seem to be bothered by that absurd delay.
My new son-in-law is Catalan, from a small village near Barcelona. Next time I see them, I'll ask him what he thinks about it. He doesn't seem to be too worried about much of anything, now that I think about it.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 12-08-2009, 12:49 PM   #18

Quote:
My new son-in-law is Catalan, from a small village near Barcelona. Next time I see them, I'll ask him what he thinks about it. He doesn't seem to be too worried about much of anything, now that I think about it.
Hey W2R_ we are almost family what a nice surprise!
Old 12-08-2009, 12:59 PM   #19
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicente solano View Post
Hey W2R_ we are almost family what a nice surprise!
Yes, we are! My son-in-law seems like a really wonderful man and I am so happy to have him as my son-in-law. He has lived in the U.S. for about 10-15 years and speaks perfect English. He works as a translator. However his parents, who I met at the wedding in October, had never been out of Spain before. They are very nice too. I speak no Spanish or Catalan, and they speak no English, but we got along fine despite that.

- - H. Melville, 1851