Worlds Tallest Building (Dubai Tower)

kb56

Dryer sheet aficionado
capt.photo_1259866665226-1-0.jpg

Look at the Gold bands.
The Empire State Building is as tall as the second band.
The building is two and ½ time taller. WOW

For a view from the top, open this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eU5QpFZAfo

All that borrowed money...

Ugh!! When I worked (love the sound of that phrase! :D) I worked on the 6th floor. Even that was higher than I really cared for, especially after 9/11.

But think of it - - somebody probably has to work near the top of the Dubai tower. :eek: As for me, I wouldn't even go up there to see the view.

I was reading about it last week. I live near Chicago and I've seen the Sears Tower in person hundreds of times and it seems ridiculously tall at 1,730 feet. But the Burj Dubai is much, much taller at 2,684. It looks so out of scale it destroys the skyline - but I doubt they care about that, it's a pure show of wealth (or debt as the case may be).

And if you can imagine, they've drawn up plans for another that's 20% taller than Burj Dubai, the Nakheel Tower. We have a new leader in the more money than brains club.

burj-dubai-worlds-tallest.jpg

nakheel-tower-09.jpg

Now THERE's a nightmare for someone with fear of heights! Pretty impressive, especially considering that they climbed the stairs to the 160th floor in an hour and ten minutes, despite oppressive heat and humidity.

Dating from the 40s, the Haiku stairs (Haiku Stairs: A 3,922 stair steel structure from the bottom of the Haiku Valley, near Kaneohe on the windward side of O`ahu) is the tallest man-made structure in these parts. It's all OUTSIDE so any fear of heights is, well, heightened. :angel:

Dating from the 40s, the Haiku stairs (Haiku Stairs: A 3,922 stair steel structure from the bottom of the Haiku Valley, near Kaneohe on the windward side of O`ahu) is the tallest man-made structure in these parts. It's all OUTSIDE so any fear of heights is, well, heightened. :angel:

Is that near Haiku Gardens? I don't really remember those stairs at all. There used to be outside, unprotected stairs at the University of Hawaii, from down in the rock quarry (where freshmen parked) to the rest of the campus. I think it was only about 6-10 stories, though.

I have climbed the Pali in many locations, in my youth and it didn't bother me a bit despite the steep drop-offs right beneath me. Airplanes don't bother me, either. But I don't like to be too close to panoramic windows in high rise buildings, the glass elevator up to the Top of the Ilikai was terrifying to me.

As an exercise in market timing, how many of the tallest buildings listed in Midpack's post were conceived/launched during a boom and completed during a downturn?

Off the top of my head:

Empire State Building - was completed during the Great Depression
Burj Dubai - current events say it all
Canary Wharf - brought down the Reichman Brothers IIRC

Not sure about the others on the list.

I can think of several other monuments to the ego of their developers around the world that ended up being symbolic of market peaks and financial difficulties for those involved.

There used to be outside, unprotected stairs at the University of Hawaii, from down in the rock quarry (where freshmen parked) to the rest of the campus. I think it was only about 6-10 stories, though.

Boy, that brings back memories since my ROTC classes were on the lower campus.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is something that I can´t undrstand. But the Catalans don´t seem to be bothered by that absurd delay.
My new son-in-law is Catalan, from a small village near Barcelona. Next time I see them, I'll ask him what he thinks about it. He doesn't seem to be too worried about much of anything, now that I think about it. :)

My new son-in-law is Catalan, from a small village near Barcelona. Next time I see them, I'll ask him what he thinks about it. He doesn't seem to be too worried about much of anything, now that I think about it. :)

Hey W2R_ we are almost family:) what a nice surprise!;)

Hey W2R_ we are almost family:) what a nice surprise!;)

Yes, we are! My son-in-law seems like a really wonderful man and I am so happy to have him as my son-in-law. He has lived in the U.S. for about 10-15 years and speaks perfect English. He works as a translator. However his parents, who I met at the wedding in October, had never been out of Spain before. They are very nice too. I speak no Spanish or Catalan, and they speak no English, but we got along fine despite that.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom