Join Early Retirement Today

World's Worst HR Department
Old 04-21-2012, 01:34 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

World's Worst HR Department

Aviva Mistakenly Fires 1,300 Employees at Investment Unit - Bloomberg

Aviva Plc (AV/), the U.K.ís second-biggest insurer by market value, said the companyís investment unit mistakenly sent an e-mail dismissing its entire staff before retracting the message.
The e-mail, which was sent by the Aviva Investors human resources department to 1,300 employees globally, told recipients to turn over company property as they left the building and reminded them of their obligation to guard the firmís confidential information, according to Paul Lockstone, spokesman for the unit of the London-based insurer.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2012, 01:39 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Standard operating procedure for big bureaucratic organizations.

I know a big company here in the States that laid off the wrong person. The HR manager in charge of the department was confused and prepared the paperwork for the wrong person, went ahead and fired them anyway. Of course, the company never owned up, and the person that was supposed to be let go is still there 3 years later. As for the person who got the ax by mistake, never heard from them again.

Old 04-21-2012, 02:17 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Aviva Plc (AV/), the U.K.ís second-biggest insurer by market value, said the companyís investment unit mistakenly sent an e-mail dismissing its entire staff before retracting the message.
Those Brits have a real sense of style when it comes to April Fools Day jokes...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 02:26 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Check out this movie "The Desk Set" - Spencer Tracey Kathern Hepburn. One thing the new computer does is fire the entire staff! The scene where Tracey is in Hepburns apartment wearing her boyfriend's (Gig Young) robe is a classic as Tracy really needles the pompous Young.

Old 04-21-2012, 03:41 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I guess emailing to lay people off is becoming more prevalent. My SO told me the other day, a coworker of hers got an email saying she was part of a group that was being laid off. The trouble was it had another persons name on it. So she had to walk in to the boss to find out if it was for her or not. Unfortunately for her it was, they just forgot to change the name on the dismissal form letter.
Old 04-21-2012, 10:21 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
... the companyís investment unit mistakenly sent an e-mail dismissing its entire staff before retracting the message.
I've seen a lot of impressive screwups in the military, but I cannot for the life of me understand how a clerical employee can compose an e-mail and say "Let's see, who does this go to again? Oh yeah, 'Reply all'. Got it. Good to go. *click* Hey, who's ready for lunch?"

Maybe they've fired two employees by now...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:02 AM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

Yeah, that would be funny in a twisted way if that clerical employee also has to add their own name to the email...a good Twilight Zone type of scene...
Old 04-22-2012, 12:59 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbugdave View Post
Yeah, that would be funny in a twisted way if that clerical employee also has to add their own name to the email...a good Twilight Zone type of scene...
This kinda happened with a company I worked for in the 80's. Frequently, there would be RIF's on Friday afternoon. On this one occasion, the folks were told to see Betty in HR for their outprocessing. The only thing was, you guessed it, Betty had been let go herself earlier in the day!

Talk about the left hand not knowing what the right hand was doing.
Old 04-22-2012, 01:13 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Did all 1300 get to keep their severance packages? Seems only fair.

And I assume there may have been two RIFs that day, the original employee and another in HR shortly thereafter.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 02:27 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Not layoffs, but in the stupid HR e-mail mistake category, here's what happened where I was working about 10-15 years ago.

Smallish company, maybe 1,000 employees at the time. This HR person was the one who sent announcements to all employees. Got an e-mail that was that typical To All type, but it contained an attachment, the salaries of every person in the company, from the corner office to the janitor. It was retracted fairly quickly, but not before a few quick thinking IT types managed to save it, pretty much public knowledge after that.

I put that pretty high up there in the "What were you thinking?" category.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:46 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldphd View Post
Not layoffs, but in the stupid HR e-mail mistake category, here's what happened where I was working about 10-15 years ago.

Smallish company, maybe 1,000 employees at the time. This HR person was the one who sent announcements to all employees. Got an e-mail that was that typical To All type, but it contained an attachment, the salaries of every person in the company, from the corner office to the janitor. It was retracted fairly quickly, but not before a few quick thinking IT types managed to save it, pretty much public knowledge after that.

Ouch!!! That would be ugly in the US. Interestingly a former coworker from the Netherlands insisted that at his company there everyone knew what everyone else made per company policy.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:00 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Back in the day I was doing an audit of a firm in NYC. I needed to find a private office for interviews where compensation would be discussed so I explained my concerns with the owner of the company. His response, "In my company I want everyone to know that I pay for performance. Salaries are on the bulletin board, including mine, together with a note that if an employee thinks they are underpaid relative to anyone else to come see me." I admired that guy and so did his employees.

Rarely do employers today list actual pay on documents that list names, instead they may have comp ratio which is an individual's place in their pay range.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:39 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Why do I think you have even better war stories to tell Brew? Having worked for a mega corp then the guvmint for a number of decades, I've got a few. Not complaining tho. These experiences led me to getting out and moving on.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:11 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

The U.S. military tells you exactly what you'd make if you volunteered for some of the exciting stuff, going all the way back to 1949...
Pay Tables

Now some of you "more experienced" veterans can check to see if you really were living on $5/day.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 07:32 AM   #15
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Speaking of HR, 90% of what I just saw in that "Desk Set" trailer would now land you in court!

Back then: a rollicking good time! Now: Hefty fines and termination!!

How times have changed!
Old 04-24-2012, 10:30 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldphd View Post

+1 at a company I worked at 10 years ago, except it wasn't a layoff (just a dumb mistake) and not IT who saved it, just a few souls who were there after hours when it hit.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:37 AM   #17

And another war story:

At a company I worked for an admin assistant got laid off in March. She was in charge of reserving the venue for the annual Xmas party. Nobody bothered to ask what the status was and she figured if they didn't ask...

Of course, when somebody called the fancy hotel in November inquiring about the reservation, the response was "what reservation? Oh yeah, I remember someone asking about making one."

That was the year of the Xmas pool party at a Holiday Inn, the only venue left.
Old 04-24-2012, 06:07 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

I was HR, my lips are locked.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:19 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
I was HR, my lips are locked.
I'm sure you have stories....
Old 04-24-2012, 08:33 PM   #20

Sounds typical. If it had happened at my mega-corp, I'm sure I would have had to fire some low-level employee (or be fired myself) since it was my department (IT Security) that allowed the brainless HR people to send the message.