Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Worries
Old 02-10-2006, 02:17 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Hunh-- I wonder if Eva's tried that?
Who cares?

Now I wish I watched desperate houswives..
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2006, 04:22 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have lived all my adult life in one city and have been very comfortable here. I am giving away or selling most of the stuff I have and after I sell my house, i'll be leaving in a few months, in my 92 camry with a folding bike (my pet) and a few possessions, for parts unknown somewhere over the rainbow.

Auntie Em, what the f*** am I doing?
Old 02-12-2006, 04:29 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ
Auntie Em, what the f*** am I doing?
Trying to figure out what you want to be when you grow up? Following the yellow brick road?

Remember to pay no attention to the man behind the curtain and take your red slippers so you can get back to Kansas whenever you want to.

Say "hi" to the munchkins for us.

Old 02-12-2006, 06:51 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha

But I know Cutthroat has said on a number of occasions that money may be the least of your worries when you retire.*
Martha:* Cutthroat's wife has had a full-time job since he quit working. (What, me worry?)
Jarhead* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 07:02 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarhead*
Martha: Cutthroat's wife has had a full-time job since he quit working. (What, me worry?)
Cut-Throat? I thought that was JG's situation.

Old 02-12-2006, 08:03 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
Cut-Throat?* I thought that was JG's situation.

ReWahoo: Didn't mean to imply that Cutthroat quit work and sent his wife out to work.

She was working before he quit, and continues to work full time.

Old 02-12-2006, 08:49 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

When I lived in LA I knew a young woman who was a radiologist. She lived in a great house in the Hollywood Hills, and had a good social life. She worried incessantly that she would get cancer. While this is possible, it was not likely. Get her Pap smears and quit worrying. But she could not.

That is the way worries are. There are concerns, and then there are worries. Concerns you try to address, but you can still get a good night's sleep, unless they are really bearing down on you. Worries can destroy your sleep even when they are very unlikely.

I look a little like Alfred E. Newman. In fact the first thing my wife to be ever said to me when I called her was, “Are you the one who looks like Alfred E. Newman?” (That was perhaps a bad omen, but I’ll leave that for another time.) Yet I do worry, more than I would like. Over the years it has gotten better. Some of this comes from having way more money. Money really is a good anti-worry drug.

Ha
Old 02-12-2006, 09:15 PM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

MJ:
Quote:
Auntie Em, what the f*** am I doing?* *
HaHa:
Quote:
That is the way worries are. There are concerns, and then there are worries. Concerns you try to address, but you can still get a good night's sleep, unless they are really bearing down on you. Worries can destroy your sleep even when they are very unlikely.
I think you both have put your finger on it in different ways...*

MJ I commend you for your personal bravery!

And to HaHa - I think the (+/-) quote from Elizabeth Kubler-Ross is worth putting here:

Fear doesn't stop loss from happening, it stops Life. That, of course, doesn't mean I don't have my own moments of worry...*

Akaisha
Author, The Adventure's Guide to Early Retirement
Old 02-12-2006, 11:33 PM   #29

I worry that . . .

my new blackberry bush cuttings may not survive,

I may not be able to fit all the clippings from the rubber tree in the trash can this week,

I left the contact information for people I just met in my hotel in San Antonio last week and won't be able to contact them,

my neighbors may screw up the valve settings and keep me from getting my irrigation allotment next month while I'm in Montreal

. . . but not much.

sgeeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 07:09 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
Cut-Throat? I thought that was JG's situation.
Seems to be widespread.

Some of our wives work because they want to though, not because they have to.

So Ha, that means I should be worried that someone is going to make stuff look better and more attractive to me than it is and that I'll want to buy stuff I dont really need?
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 02-13-2006, 08:23 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

"I worried about it a little bit, but that's all..."

John Hartford

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 09:42 AM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarhead*
ReWahoo:* Didn't mean to imply that Cutthroat quit work and sent his wife out to work.

She was working before he quit, and continues to work full time.*
As I understand the current situations, Cut-Throat's, JG's, & TH's spouses have chosen to work full time.

My spouse was part-time but has since been afforded a one-year "unrefuseable offer" to donate her Nayv Reserve skills for free (plus retirement points). Better luck in 2007...

Anyone else?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 09:46 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

My wife only works 3 days a week. Next year maybe just 2.
Old 02-13-2006, 09:53 AM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by (Cute Fuzzy Bunny)
My wife only works 3 days a week.* Next year maybe just 2.
Sorry, I should've remembered that. No offense intended!

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

Old 02-13-2006, 09:57 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

At fifty, just one day so we can get the health care (although we'll have to pay for a big chunk of it), and fire all the rest of the income into her 403b.

I dont think I'll follow through on the suggestion that she would have to stick with 3 days for an extra couple of years to pay off the lexus. I'd like to see her naked from time to time.
Old 02-13-2006, 09:58 AM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I'd like to see her naked from time to time.
Too many pronouns. Which object of the last sentence is the subject of this one?

Old 02-13-2006, 10:00 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Sorry that was so fragmented. I was distraught from the offensive nature of your post.
Old 02-13-2006, 10:12 AM   #38

Quote:

So Ha, that means I should be worried that someone is going to make stuff look better and more attractive to me than it is and that I'll want to buy stuff I dont really need?
TH: In reading Ha's post, it made a lot of sense to me. *He was talking about the "journey" to reach a point of not having to worry as much about money as he used to.
Raising a young family in the 60's and 70's, I can damn sure relate to what he was implying.

I can also understand your not being able to relate. *Being a single stock option millionaire your late 30's puts you in a very "specific" category, and apparantly unable to relate to what Ha was talking about.

Ask your dad, maybe he'll explain it to you.

Jarhead
Old 02-13-2006, 10:19 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

I'd say you took me out of context, but i took myself out.

That comment was in reference to his friend the oncologist that was constantly worried about getting cancer.

So I, the former marketing guy, should be worried about being marketed to.

As a guy who was on his own from 16, and ate a lot of ramen noodles well into my 20's, I can certainly relate to the sentiments.
Old 02-13-2006, 10:31 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
As I understand the current situations, Cut-Throat's, JG's, & TH's spouses have chosen to work full time.

My spouse was part-time but has since been afforded a one-year "unrefuseable offer" to donate her Nayv Reserve skills for free (plus retirement points). Better luck in 2007...

Anyone else?
In the spirit of full disclosure, my DW went back to work full-time last month, working a 50+ hour week at what averages out to be about $2.00 per hour. It’s like this...

The son-in-law has been playing Mr. Mom to our three grandsons for the past several months while he was inbetween opportunites. He went back to work the first of January and DW says to me, “Do you want your grandsons to be raised by daycare workers!?” I’m not smart enough to figure out any affirmative response to that inquiry that woudn’t be hazrdous to my health. So...

She keeps them in their own home, a 25 minute drive, leaves at 6:30 AM and gets home at 6:30 PM. I figure she’s getting paid just about enough to cover the cost of gas for the daily commute and to cover part of the cost of the crap toys and goodies she’s always buying for them.

I’m brushing up on my cooking and house-husbanding skills and like Greg does for Martha, have a hot, nutritious meal waiting for her when she gets home from work. But our travel plans have definitely been torpedoed, at least for the forseeable future.

I’m learning that retired life is a lot like your working life...sometimes you’ve just gotta do what you gotta do. :P