Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Worries
Old 02-17-2006, 09:34 AM   #61
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Haole koa trees.

More than once, too. They come back two or three times despite the application of the concentrated stuff at $40/quart...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshac
Those Himalayan blackberries are the WORST. They are not native to the PNW, but love the weather... the canes will grow up to 1' per day in the summer. Nice big blackberries, although you really pay for them in blood. To get rid of them, you pretty much have to hack the canes back down to ground level, and then paint the "stump" with super-concentrated roundup.
Sometimes using superconcentrated Roundup doesn't work because the plant won't take the high concentrations into its roots. Generally a lower concentration works better, even if you have to apply a couple of times.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2006, 10:02 AM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

They should make one of those hardhats with two beer cans and tubing things for plant roots and roundup.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 09:24 AM   #63
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Sometimes when I'm really busy and want to catch up on my reading I do what my college english prof suggested. Read the first and last chapters completely and skim the rest.

It doesn't work here dammit. Martha wants to know about ER worries and I end up 5 screens later with beer can hats for plants!?

And not for nuttin' I was the one who said my FIL said "Money will be the least of your worries..."

Old 02-18-2006, 09:26 AM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUM
It doesn't work here dammit. Martha wants to know about ER worries and I end up 5 screens later with beer can hats for plants!?
Dont try this at home without adult supervision, we are professionals...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 10:37 AM   #65
Give me a forum ...

as long as its my money that goes first ,hey i can deal with that.....
mathjak107 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 12:40 AM   #66
Give me a forum ...

The best way I have found to kill Himalayan blackberries is to pull the damned things out by the roots. They grow in soft ground. Use heavy rubber gloves, them thorns bite. Can't pull morning glories out that way--the roots are soft and break and now you have two.

I worry about being debt-free before I stop working. College is a drain. (I know, I know. But I figure they need a good start at least.)

I am also concerned that DW may have trouble cutting back on possessions when we have to downsize. I am used to living out of a suitcase, but she really enjoys the house and all her stuff. I am hoping for a soft landing of some kind. This is a serious issue. (I just read the blog of the RV fulltimer who retired at 55 and lives on $1k/mo and how he went through his own downsizing.)

Also worry about the health insurance issue, but not so much as before. Once one leaves the Land of the Rich and the Home of the Slave, that gets simpler.
Old 02-19-2006, 09:44 PM   #67
Full time employment: Posting here.

Ed the Gypsy
Quote:
I am also concerned that DW may have trouble cutting back on possessions when we have to downsize.* I am used to living out of a suitcase, but she really enjoys the house and all her stuff.* I am hoping for a soft landing of some kind.* This is a serious issue.*
Are you saying it's a serious issue for her or for you? or her possible unhappiness is a serious issue for the both of you?

Another way to look at the 'downsizing' is that it isn't. It will be 'right sizing.'* *

Life is full of choices and trade offs... we can't escape it in any way, and much of how we get through changes is how we describe them to ourselves.

Do you know what I mean?

Akaisha
Author, The Adventurer's Guide to Early Retirement
Old 02-20-2006, 06:09 AM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Hi, Akaisha,

Her possible unhappiness may become a serious issue for both of us.

My difficulty is that I am trying to plan for survival, not a long vacation. I don't have a million dollars but I don't want to work forever, to die in my cubicle, much less far from my family (as I am today). But things may turn out that way.

I have a sales job to do on her and if I am not successful, we will be in desperate straits when we are older. She doesn't understand yet that we are facing limited choices and some of them are not very pleasant. We can't hold on to a big house full of stuff while living somewhere else. If I could afford to do that, our future would be a lot simpler, but it ain't possible.

When we were younger, we lived many places and travelled quite a bit without a lot of baggage, so I am hopeful.

I know exactly what you mean, but it will be hard in my household.

Ed
Old 02-20-2006, 10:21 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy
I have a sales job to do on her and if I am not successful, we will be in desperate straits when we are older. She doesn't understand yet that we are facing limited choices and some of them are not very pleasant. We can't hold on to a big house full of stuff while living somewhere else. If I could afford to do that, our future would be a lot simpler, but it ain't possible.

Ed, that is a bit worrisome. DH and I both say we want to downscale and travel for a while and it is still hard to do, so it may be traumatic for someone who doesn't want to let go. We are slowly getting rid of things and its not too bad, but when it really comes down to the bare essentials I know it will be hard even though I want to do it!
Old 02-20-2006, 08:47 PM   #70

ED:
Quote:
Her possible unhappiness may become a serious issue for both of us. My difficulty is that I am trying to plan for survival, not a long vacation.* I have a sales job to do on her and if I am not successful, we will be in desperate straits when we are older. She doesn't understand yet...We can't hold on to a big house full of stuff while living somewhere else. When we were younger, we lived many places and travelled quite a bit without a lot of baggage, so I am hopeful.
Shiny:
Quote:
Ed, that is a bit worrisome. DH and I both say we want to downscale and travel for a while and it is still hard to do, so it may be traumatic for someone who doesn't want to let go. We are slowly getting rid of things and its not too bad, but when it really comes down to the bare essentials I know it will be hard even though I want to do it!
Hi Guys,... I can't say I have the answers here, but I can give you my insight... 8)

When Billy first brought up the idea of ER to me 16 years ago, I was 36. Also, I wasn't ready, I was scared and so I became angry. It was an idea/concept that I didn't understand and that is why I resisted it.

Now, the reason I didn't understand it, is because:*

1) It threatened the way I was viewing how life 'should' be lived* *
2) I didn't know what I would replace my current working lifestyle with.. (how would I fill my time?)* :P
3) I would have to leave family, all my stuff, I loved my house... etc. etc. etc.*
4) I was flat-out scared, didn't know anyone else who was doing that, and didn't believe it would work.

Any of this sound familiar?

If I were to give any advice at all, I would suggest the following:

1) Try not to attack her value system, or tell her that her perceptions are 'screwed up'.* :

--In other words, be a friend to her, realize she is scared. If you love her, this shouldn't be a problem, and it will take patience. However, you are both in this together, so expect her to help in creating the life you both want. Expect her to participate and contribute.

2.) Offer solutions or replacements to what you are "taking away".*

--This is really important, Guys... to just "take away" home, stuff, family, friends, a job or activities that she is identified with will only create resistance and more anger and fear.* Both you and your wife must concentrate on what will replace that which you are leaving behind. What will you do with your time, How will you contact family and or friends, perhaps a temporary storage option may be helpful for some 'stuff', etc...

3.) Get it clear in your mind what is important to the both of you. * *

--Make a list of what is important and prioritize it. No fair putting everything as #1. This has to be done. Then you find out what is common between you, and you work on the rest.

4)* Let go and cry, let go and cry...

-- Let her cry. I know this is tough on guys, but girls gotta do it.* * *

Some of my favorite possessions I gave to my sisters or best girlfriends... that way I wasn't "really" losing it. My Grandmother's china is still in storage at a friend's... But basically, once I got started, (and was allowed to cry) I let it go.

Does this help at all? Did I leave something important out? Are you dealing with something else I didn't mention?

sigh... Guys and Gals..* we're different!* * Its a good thing! (Honest!* 8))

Akaisha

Old 02-20-2006, 09:01 PM   #71
Give me a forum ...

I think we can make it work if we take it in steps. I guess if we do look at it as a long vacation, the transition may be easier. If we rent out or sell the house and put valued items in storage, then go off for a year, it would be a first step. As long as the first step don't bust the piggy bank, we can see where it goes from there. Avoids trauma up front.

We shall see, won't we?
Old 02-20-2006, 10:33 PM   #72
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy
I think we can make it work if we take it in steps.* I guess if we do look at it as a long vacation, the transition may be easier.* If we rent out or sell the house and put valued items in storage, then go off for a year, it would be a first step.* As long as the first step don't bust the piggy bank, we can see where it goes from there.* Avoids trauma up front.

We shall see, won't we?
When you come back after that first year it'll be one heckuva garage sale!

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 09:52 PM   #73

Nords:
Quote:
When you come back after that first year it'll be one heckuva garage sale!
I have to laugh and agree here.. when we first ER'd we had 2 weekends of estate sales, then two weekends of flea markets. Then it was the Goodwill, and then the storage shed.* * *:P* How much stuff did we have?

After* living 6 months on Nevis in the Caribbean, we came back to the storage shed and said "Huh?"* * and got rid of more stuff!* *

I can honestly say I never want to own that much stuff again... whew!* * *

Akaisha