Join Early Retirement Today

Worst case scenario.
Old 04-02-2007, 04:14 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Worst case scenario.

For those of us still working but contemplating Early Retirement in the near future. What is your worst case scenario?

That is, for whatever reason, you decide (or being forced to) quit today, at this very moment, would you make it? Or do you have to look for another job soon?

Here's my worst case scenario: Imitate "Billy and Akaisha" lifestyle. Absolutely no need to look for work ever again.

What's yours?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Worst case scenario.
Old 04-02-2007, 04:17 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam
Here's my worst case scenario: Imitate "Billy and Akaisha" lifestyle. Absolutely no need to look for work ever again.
Billy and Akaisha will be thrilled by this. Are you by chance a diplomat?

Ha

Old 04-02-2007, 04:19 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaHa
Billy and Akaisha will be thrilled by this. Are you by chance a diplomat?
Edit: I think I understand now. You're being sarcastic. And you thought that I might have offended the Kaderlis. Thanks for the head-up.

No it was not meant to offend. It was meant as a compliment, an admiration. Because of them, there exists an escape route for me, should the worst happen.

Old 04-02-2007, 04:24 PM   #4

I'd be looking for a new job or maybe a new career (being a lawyer is my backup plan if the current career loses its feasibility).
Old 04-02-2007, 04:24 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I went through the mental exercise recently. If I were suddenly out of a job, I would take a month off before even contemplaying my options. Then it would be find another job or start a business.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 04:24 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam

That's a pretty good "Worst Case Scenario".

What is your "Best Case Scenario"?
Old 04-02-2007, 04:30 PM   #7

My best case scenario is to retire as planned 4 years from now. Will probably live the "Billy and Akaisha" lifestyle as well, but at a different level.
Old 04-02-2007, 04:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam
For those of us still working but contemplating Early Retirement in the near future. What is your worst case scenario?

That is, for whatever reason, you decide (or being forced to) quit today, at this very moment, would you make it? Or do you have to look for another job soon?
Looking at your worst case scenario is part of the FIRE process.

In a worst case scenario (defined as losing current earned income), I could RE right now with what I have, but I would not want to live on a slightly higher than bare bones budget for the next 40+ years.

Still, it's a good feeling to know you have enough set aside early in life so that for a few years, you could keep living the normal life you have been accustomed to living while you look for other sources of income (if you need to). The average guy on the street may have 6 months of living expenses saved while most FIRE-to-be people here may have more than 6 years of living expenses set aside.
Old 04-02-2007, 04:53 PM   #9

On second thought, I'd take the 6-9 months of unemployment pay and call it a "sabbatical". Assuming I got fired, and not that I quit.
Old 04-02-2007, 08:58 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by retire@40
while most FIRE-to-be people here may have more than 6 years of living expenses set aside.
How did you come up with that "6 years"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin
On second thought, I'd take the 6-9 months of unemployment pay and call it a "sabbatical". Assuming I got fired, and not that I quit.
You are not alone thinking that. In reality, most people don't stick around just for unemployment check collecting, unless they are forced too. The amount is so small compared to their normal income that the incentive to "not work" does not materialize.
Old 04-02-2007, 09:09 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Well, as long as you're being morbid, suppose you opt against LTC insurance due to its chaotic state. Then one of you gets a chronic debilitating disease and ends up in a 70K per year nursing home. A year or two later, the other one -- now living on a small allowance, gets his or her own disease.

Or, you count on an ESRBob-style part time income stream, then become disabled, then face a severe and long bear market.

But all these scenarios are not likely, and people tend to adjust, belt-tighten and improvise. Nothing protects agains all worst-cases. I think there is more risk in over-planning for the worst case 1% scenario than there is in having sensible cushion and living a good life.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 09:26 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa
I think there is more risk in over-planning for the worst case 1% scenario than there is in having sensible cushion and living a good life.
I think there's much more risk in living one's life for the worst-case 0.001% scenario, but I think that just obsessively planning for it is an exercise that helps many ERs sleep well at night.

At least that's how it works for me. 10,000 or so posts later I'm sleeping a bit better now...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 09:59 PM   #13

My worse case is that I get killed by a falling jet engine and our cats inherit. Anything else is gravy.
Old 04-02-2007, 10:08 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam
How did you come up with that "6 years"?
It was a combination of parallel construction (6 months...6 years), an estimate based on what I remember from various polls here, and pure speculation.
Old 04-02-2007, 10:39 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by retire@40
Looking at your worst case scenario is part of the FIRE process.

In a worst case scenario (defined as losing current earned income),

That's a worst case scenario? Boy, lots of sheltered lives on this board I guess!! Losing a job is a worst case scenario? I thought that happened to everyone. And if that was the worst that ever happened to me, I'd consider myself one hell of a lucky guy!

It's more fun to discuss scenarios such as: you reach FIRE at 45 and hear your doc tell you that you have terminal cancer at 45.1. Or you pick up the phone and hear the police tell you that your child was killed in an auto accident. Or your spouse dies unexpectedly. You get the idea. Dealing with the loss of a job or the failure of a business requires knuckling down and replacing it. But, compared to real problems in life, shouldn't even be given a moment's thought.

Fellow posters, please don't be offended by this, but we really do lead charmed lives and most have few clues as to what "worst case scenarios" are all about.

Old 04-03-2007, 12:41 AM   #16
Full time employment: Posting here.

Who gets the money when the cats die?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bssc
My worse case is that I get killed by a falling jet engine and our cats inherit. Anything else is gravy.
Old 04-03-2007, 12:52 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peaceful_Warrior
Who gets the money when the cats die?
The remainder of the trust goes to the Humane Society.
Old 04-03-2007, 06:45 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet

That's a worst case scenario? Boy, lots of sheltered lives on this board I guess!! Losing a job is a worst case scenario? I thought that happened to everyone. And if that was the worst that ever happened to me, I'd consider myself one hell of a lucky guy!

It's more fun to discuss scenarios such as: you reach FIRE at 45 and hear your doc tell you that you have terminal cancer at 45.1. Or you pick up the phone and hear the police tell you that your child was killed in an auto accident. Or your spouse dies unexpectedly. You get the idea. Dealing with the loss of a job or the failure of a business requires knuckling down and replacing it. But, compared to real problems in life, shouldn't even be given a moment's thought.

Fellow posters, please don't be offended by this, but we really do lead charmed lives and most have few clues as to what "worst case scenarios" are all about.
I think you didn't get answers like this because there is nothing any of us can do to plan for or avoid such things. Sure, in the dark pit of a sleepless night I think about that sort of thing once in a while and clearly these are worse outcomes than loss of a job, etc. But there is no point in obsessing over it because tehre is nothing that can be done except deal with it if it happens.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 07:17 AM   #19

as i've mentioned on an earlier post, life is pretty good when your so-called worst case scenerio simply forces you into a life of adventure.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 07:18 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bssc
My worst case, but then the dogs sue the cats for their fair share and it gets all over the tabloids! But it is good to know that we arent' the only ones with an estate plan that includes pet care!

Sarah

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote