Join Early Retirement Today

Worst Customer Service
Old 01-09-2013, 01:43 PM   #1
Gone but not forgotten

Worst Customer Service

15 Worst Companies For Customer Service - Business Insider

My favorite company to hate is #4 on the list.
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2013, 01:48 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post

How can you be so mean to Reddy Kilowatt? Oh, #4 not #2. My bad.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg images[2].jpg (9.4 KB, 177 views)
Old 01-09-2013, 01:52 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Airlines and TV providers seem to be fixtures on these lists aren't they?

I was surpised to see social media, or at least Twitter and LinkedIn. I use and like both, especially Twitter. With a billion "subscribers" I wouldn't have thought FaceBook would have made the list either despite the IPO and ongoing privacy stories. What company wouldn't love to have FB's growth, even if they haven't figured out how to monetize entirely (from what I read).

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:54 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:

You will soon be in trouble.
bondi688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:01 PM   #5
gone traveling

#4 and #15 have lost my business forever.
bo_knows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:03 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Mine too. Took 10 days to get Comcast out to my mom's house in Dec and then had another problem that took 12 days to get a house visit. The tech said they now sell security systems and that can tie up a guy 9 hours for one call. Doesn't look like their service will be improving anytime soon.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:13 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Then you'll enjoy this (unless it was you) Dear Comcast - Your Customer Service Still Sucks

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:14 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

My cable internet provider is #3 but I haven't had any issues with them. Most of the others I totally agree with.
timeasterday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:09 PM   #9
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Then you'll enjoy this (unless it was you) Dear Comcast - Your Customer Service Still Sucks
Could've been, except my dealings are not that nice. I'm one mean, nasty, litigious S.O.B, when it comes to Comcast, and have learned how to escalate my complaints two levels inside of three minutes. Simple matter of two names. I have four stars next to my Comcast account, and it surely ain't for being a beloved customer.
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:16 PM   #10

We dropped Comcast after they charged us a fee to downgrade to a less expensive plan. Best decision ever.
ShortInSeattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:20 PM   #11

I must have the wrong attitude. Delta (#13 on this list) has never given me anything but great service. I've flown Delta a lot for over a quarter century, and it's hard to use any other airline flying in or out of Cincinnati where I've lived the last 20 years.

Even when problems have arisen, the Delta gate agents, phone agents, and ticket counter agents have always tried their best to fix the problem with the least hassle to me.

When some Brazilian friends came to the US a few years ago, they wound up flying Delta between east and west coasts, and they commented later to me that they only wished they had such great people working at the Brazilian airlines.

Have others here really had bad customer experiences with Delta, or did it make this list merely due to a few grumpy fliers?
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:29 PM   #12
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I must have the wrong attitude. Delta (#13 on this list) has never given me anything but great service. I've flown Delta a lot for over a quarter century, and it's hard to use any other airline flying in or out of Cincinnati where I've lived the last 20 years.

Even when problems have arisen, the Delta gate agents, phone agents, and ticket counter agents have always tried their best to fix the problem with the least hassle to me.

When some Brazilian friends came to the US a few years ago, they wound up flying Delta between east and west coasts, and they commented later to me that they only wished they had such great people working at the Brazilian airlines.

Have others here really had bad customer experiences with Delta, or did it make this list merely due to a few grumpy fliers?
Sometimes you are more likely to get superior customer service by being proactive with the people you are dealing with and helping them help you. Not always, but this seems to apply to airlines. Sometimes just being nice helps.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:45 PM   #13
Administrator

I think much of the opinion about a companies customer service has to do with the automated phone system they have set up. My cable provider (on that list) has a patronizing, narcissistic b*** for a receptionist the most annoying auto-receptionist ever. Once you can get past it/her to a real person, they are fairly reasonable.
Old 01-09-2013, 04:47 PM   #14

# 14 , Century Link has been on my "you suck list" for several years, but I must admit they have sucked less this past year.
#6 United Air..Each and every fight I or a family member has taken over the past 4 years has been screwed up in some way. Certainly would use another carrier if one was reasonably available.

I'd be happy to add General Motors to the suck list if I may.

All that said, I would note, that my day to day experiences with commerce USA have been generally been fairly positive. I think we may be learning.
JPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:23 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

# 4 - I dont hate Comcast like I once did. I had DirecTV for may years and switched to a Comcast bundle to save money. The Comcast phone service was on/off for a few weeks at the beginning. Several new phone modems and a few weeks later, the repairman told me that they use reconditioned parts and that they make several service calls with new (reconditioned) equipment until it works. Oh well, everything has been working recently so I wont complain.

#9 Cox - have them in AZ. No problems - just downgraded my service from a bundle to basic cable. Brought their equipment to their store and they adjusted my monthly bill accordingly.

I don't deal with any of the other top 15.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:29 PM   #16

Quote:

#15 - they bought our home loan.

If we payed extra online 100% of the time they would put it against the interest. so

Each month we would have to go in and say "We are putting this against
the principle not the interest" get a receipt, look at the receipt, and half the
time would have to say "you put it against the interest, not the principle, we
would like......."
when we finally finished they would always say "would you like to open a
checking account with us" and we would say "no" while thinking ....

(Google matthew shinnick bank america)
SJ1_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:36 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

yup. Fired that bank. Avoid the cable company like the plague. Never fly those airlines if at all possible.

What amazes me is that everyone outside the companies seems to know how bad these companies are, yet the companies show no signs of improvement. That bank's local officer was shocked that I was leaving because of the 'service'.
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:25 PM   #18

Can't help but be reminded of this oldie but goodie...

We don't care, we don't have to, we're the phone company —

Tyro
Old 01-10-2013, 05:00 AM   #19

I spent a career chasing such contributory metrics, and what we found is that subjective measures don't reliably indicate anything. If you want to know how a customer feels about your service, you need to measure if they're willing to continue buying from you. Talk is cheap; money is what consumers value most these days.

There's no first-order, publicly-accessible metric that measures actual customer behaviors. All we have are customer satisfaction ratings, which are basically like consumerist masturbation, and objective financial measures, like EBIT. Until customers gather together and vote in legislators and executives who pass laws that require businesses to be rewarded based on customer satisfaction, trends in financial measures like EBIT is still going to be better indicators of actual customer sentiment; metrics that don't correlate to changes in net consumption won't matter. Consumers like to talk tough, but far too many consumers are blathering self-deceivers.

There's a whole industry that built itself up around customer satisfaction and loyalty. I know, I was part of it. We fed on such nonsense as "Quality is Free" and such. And still today many companies are deceived into focusing on customer satisfaction rather than customer purchasing behavior drivers.

Of the companies listed, the only ones that are clearly failing are Bank of America and American Airlines. US Airways isn't clearly improving or degrading. (There's no practical way of gauging LinkedIn, Twitter or Facebook, but I suggest anyone who is unhappy with any of the three demand their money back... oh, wait...) The rest of the companies on the list are doing well, showing that customers are simply not reflecting their true intentions and behaviors in their feedback.
bUU is offline   Reply With Quote