Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-17-2009, 09:56 PM   #61
Moderator Emeritus

Bamm, I don't especially like the term, just trying to keep you up on the latest slang from the young folk. I like that this term is equal opportunity trash talk, as a guy could have a butter face too.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2009, 11:47 PM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Bamm, I don't especially like the term, just trying to keep you up on the latest slang from the young folk. I like that this term is equal opportunity trash talk, as a guy could have a butter face too.
Nope, 'fraid that this one like most sexually derogatory terms is directed at females.

Remember, it's but-her-face, not but-his-face.

When I was in college the cruel thing to say was "put a bag over her head". (&blank her) Gross and cruel.

I didn't like that stuff then and I like it even less now. Life is tough enough without having people make fun of your appearance.

Ha
Old 02-18-2009, 07:18 AM   #63
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Bamm, I don't especially like the term, just trying to keep you up on the latest slang from the young folk.
Hey, I'm not complainin'...I came to this forum to learn, dagnabit!

For the first time the other day, I heard the term "bumpin' uglies". I don't believe that has anything to do with fender benders though.......
Old 02-18-2009, 10:46 AM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post

To me the most terrifying experience is coming up on a full size Crown Victoria with no visible driver, somehow driving itself around turns, staying in lane (mostly), managing stop signs (mostly). Then seeing it park in front of a store or some such. As I go by, usually see a little old lady peering over the dashboard but under the steering wheel. I have now trained myself in such events to look for a little clump of white hair visible between the top od the seatback and the bottom of the headrest.
Then back off a good ways. The directions the car takes or the speed of it is usually independent of the turn signals or brake lamps.

Don't laugh too hard, you and I may eventually end being that magic white clump of hair.

I see you have seen my mother ... but now she is driving a Malibu...

Another sign is a car that has lots of dents and scrapes... my mom will turn to tight at different locations and there is not one panel on her car that does not have some scuff mark or dent...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 05:02 PM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
According to my son who travels constantly it's anyone in a minivan.
AHEM! I drive a minivan. 260,000 miles on this one and no accidents.

I also concur with the observation about BMW drivers.

I would love to know where Ha was when he had the experience with the dead driver(s). ("I want to die in my sleep like my grandpa, not screaming like his passengers.")
Old 02-19-2009, 05:28 PM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Remember that insurance company ad "Oh, it's you,Bob!" That's my view of me on the road. And yes, i do drive a BMW work rig, albeit 16 years old and a station wagon. Also look as far ahead as possible, stay to the right, and avoid left-hand turns. Also allow people to merge and pull in front of me from off street. Also run with a Valentine One radar detector.
calmloki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 08:36 PM   #67
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
AHEM! I drive a minivan. 260,000 miles on this one and no accidents.

Sorry Ed, no hard feelings I hope. I think he wrote the FAQ thing a little bit tongue in cheek. Trying to add some humor and poking fun at his aunt who drives a minivan.

We had a chuckle with this one as well:
What food should one NOT eat while driving?

Well, anything that requires a utensil, but I've known people that eat breakfast with a fork on the way to work.
I did make the mistake once of getting a chili-cheese burrito from Taco Bell while driving from Maryland to Florida one day. It was dark, so I couldn't quite see where the wrapper was and all that. Daggum, it only took a few minutes before a chili-cheese mixture started working its way down my arm. If anyone could've seen me, I'm sure they would've wondered why I was driving while holding a poopy diaper.

Road Trip Rip - FAQs
Old 02-19-2009, 10:26 PM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Harumph.

I have learned that it is dangerous for me to even try to drink coffee behind the wheel. Pizza? Burritos? The mind boggles.
Old 02-19-2009, 10:40 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
Harumph.

I have learned that it is dangerous for me to even try to drink coffee behind the wheel. Pizza? Burritos? The mind boggles.
"I also concur with the observation about BMW drivers".

Older BMWs (including my '93) do not even come with cupholders. BMW agreed w/ you on the safety aspect - if driving, drive.
calmloki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 11:24 PM   #70
Moderator Emeritus

LOL - if men are better drivers, why do they cost more to insure? ROTFLMAO - we trumpet statistical analysis for our finances but ignore them on this and resort to anecdotal evidence. Men crash more than women, there just isn't any spin on that fact.

Adding my own anecdote, DW and I haven't done more than scrape a fender on a curb in the last 10 years, I once rear ended a car full of Mexicans in a low rider when I was a teenager in L.A. - ended up being a really nice group of guys who were glad to take the $40 bucks I had rather than get insurance involved.....wait a minute....?

DW was T-boned by an agro testosterone male when she was driving a Hyundai Excel and he a truck. Fortunately passenger side or else I think I'd still be single.
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 12:34 AM   #71
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurence View Post
LOL - if men are better drivers, why do they cost more to insure? ROTFLMAO - we trumpet statistical analysis for our finances but ignore them on this and resort to anecdotal evidence. Men crash more than women, there just isn't any spin on that fact.
I think we may drive a lot more miles per year. Can you provide stats on accidents per mile driven?
Old 02-20-2009, 12:59 AM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
I think we may drive a lot more miles per year. Can you provide stats on accidents per mile driven?
" As reported in the June issue of Epidemiology, American women were involved in 5.7 crashes per million miles driven. Men, on the other hand, clocked up just 5.1 crashes per million miles. Given the fact that men drive an estimated 74 per cent more miles per year than women, the figure is surprising indeed"
aaronc879 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 01:03 AM   #73
Moderator Emeritus

I guess the insurance companies get it wrong then?
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 08:54 AM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurence View Post
I guess the insurance companies get it wrong then?
I don't think so. Since insurance is sold per time period, not per mile driven, combining those two figures shows that in a given time period men are about 56% more likely to be involved in a crash.

Also, I don't think this says much about severity of accidents, which I suppose might be greater for men.

Ha
Old 02-20-2009, 11:27 AM   #75
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I don't think so. Since insurance is sold per time period, not per mile driven, combining those two figures shows that in a given time period men are about 56% more likely to be involved in a crash.
Ha

Our auto insurance takes miles driven into account (or at least they ask for odometer readings before issuing our renewal).

As far as the comment in Epidemiology, I don't find it terribly surprising that people who drive less get in more accidents, because I expect people who are more experienced to be better able to avoid accidents. This is a big reason, for example, that teen drivers have such high accident rates.
Old 02-20-2009, 11:31 AM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urchina View Post
Our auto insurance takes miles driven into account (or at least they ask for odometer readings before issuing our renewal).
Mine doesn't, except perhaps in very broad bands. I never have had an insurer that did. Probably varies from company to company. I am in no way trying to say that women are worse drivers.
Ha
Old 02-20-2009, 03:57 PM   #77

Mine (USAA) used to ask for miles driven but have not asked in the last several years.
Old 02-20-2009, 04:02 PM   #78
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OAG View Post
Mine (USAA) used to ask for miles driven but have not asked in the last several years.
Same here. They always wanted to know "miles driven to and from work/school" but once we listed our occupations as "retired" they stopped asking.
Old 02-20-2009, 05:07 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454 View Post
To me women are the worst drivers in any vehicle. I've had 4 accidents in my life all caused by the opposite sex. Going through stop lights, stop signs, illegal turns. Very annoying!
I was hit by a young male last spring! (yes, he was at fault!)
Old 02-20-2009, 05:14 PM   #80
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireup2025 View Post
I was hit by a young male last spring! (yes, he was at fault!)
Was that with or without vehicle?