Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-04-2009, 02:10 PM   #21
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
I guess I'll take the bait........ I got a CHECK from my dad and stepmom instead of their appearance at my wedding to DW. Turns out my stepmom convinced my dad that they should not go because her and I didn't have a great relationship.

That has got to be the worst gift ever.........
I realize that many of you here will find this story difficult to believe, but a week before DW and I were getting married, my MIL had a meltdown and pleaded with her to call if off, because I was........................... "sarcastic" ...

(Yeah, like I needed her support...)

Six years later, DW and I are happily married, and MIL and I are living under a fragile truce.
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2009, 02:33 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

I have received a few tasteless gifts in my time, but they pale in comparison to what my SIL got from her MIL one Christmas. She got a roll of "Stitch Witchery" which is hem tape that you iron on. Each of her boys ( 6+10) got a 3 pack of microwave popcorn. As if that wasn't bad enough, the MIL's daughter's boys each got a big remote controlled airplane. Unwrapped at the same time mind you.
shoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 03:06 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

gift from the Company at our annual Christmas party a few years ago. The prez of the company was big into looking fancy and wealthy and status and all that jazz. Every other person in the firm could care less. Our gift? A nice grey cashmere v-neck sweater. The kind that our prez wears frequently and also the kind and style that no one else at all ever wears EVER. Everyone received a sweater. Everyone gave the obligatory smile and meek thanks. Then everyone promptly took the sweater home and placed it in their closet, never to wear it. Until we took a group photo a year later and we all had to find our old grey cashmere v-neck sweaters. That was the first and last time I ever saw anyone other than the prez wear that grey cashmere v-neck sweater.

And this was the year that we didn't get bonuses because of the economy and the fact that the company didn't have enough money. Instead we got a grey cashmere v-neck sweater. With company logo on it. Those things aren't cheap.

And it isn't anything against company schwag - we received company logo polo shirts the next couple of years and everyone wears these all the time around the office.
FUEGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 03:09 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

For my first wedding, we got a regifted set of placemats from someone at work. They were awful colored and there was a piece of tape and some of the old wrapping paper on the bottom of the box.
Old 06-04-2009, 04:17 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Memorable gift

My now deceased LBYM frugal Aunt once gave me a pair of dish scouring pads made from the lace cups of an old brassiere she had cut and hemmed. She was very serious about what good scrubbers they made and was very proud of having made this discovery. I have had a good laugh about this over the years, and I do appreciate her ingenuity. I think of her fondly, and I also admire her as she amassed a good retirement on very little earned income. Waste not, want not.
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 06:34 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

When I was about seven years old, I happened to be visiting an aunt, on the day before my birthday. She suddenly realized that she had forgotten to buy me a birthday present. She quickly rewrapped an unwanted gift recently received and presented it to me. It was.....a bottle of Irish whiskey!!!

BTW, my aunt was quite abstemious and practically a teetotaller. But she was not known for her common sense!

My parents had the good sense to confiscate the "gift" and to buy me something more age appropriate instead. Books, I think.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 06:56 PM   #27
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
When I was about seven years old, I happened to be visiting an aunt, on the day before my birthday. She suddenly realized that she had forgotten to buy me a birthday present. She quickly rewrapped an unwanted gift recently received and presented it to me. It was.....a bottle of Irish whiskey!!!

Meadbh , You are Irish so she probably just wanted to break you in early !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 09:12 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

It wasn't our gift, but many years ago some friends of ours got married. The maid of honor was living in Saudi Arabia at the time, and was ariving a few hours before the wedding. I volunteered to pick her up at the airport and get her to the ceremony. We had to go pick up her luggage, which included two nicely wrapped boxes about 1'x1'x4' tall. After the wedding when they were opening the gifts, the groom opened his. It was a beautiful men's hookah, with gold and enamel inlay, etc. Patty opened hers and got a matching woman's hookah, cheap white clay and a plastic hose. The various guests (especially family) were flabbergasted. I almost busted a gut. I tried for years to buy the set from them, but no luck.
Old 06-05-2009, 07:13 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

So the maid of honor gave the bride such a rotten gift? Bad choice on the attendant! And to give a nice one to the groom! Hilarious!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 08:31 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
It wasn't our gift, but many years ago some friends of ours got married. The maid of honor was living in Saudi Arabia at the time, and was ariving a few hours before the wedding. I volunteered to pick her up at the airport and get her to the ceremony. We had to go pick up her luggage, which included two nicely wrapped boxes about 1'x1'x4' tall. After the wedding when they were opening the gifts, the groom opened his. It was a beautiful men's hookah, with gold and enamel inlay, etc. Patty opened hers and got a matching woman's hookah, cheap white clay and a plastic hose. The various guests (especially family) were flabbergasted. I almost busted a gut. I tried for years to buy the set from them, but no luck.
This sounds like equality, Saudi Arabian style.
FUEGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 09:09 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
This sounds like equality, Saudi Arabian style.
Exactly. No insult intended, she bought them as a set. I suspect if she'd tried to buy two fancy ones as a wedding gift she'd have been locked up for supporting gay marriage or something.
Old 06-06-2009, 08:57 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Really not that bad, but a family member gifted DW and I a conventional toaster once. We've used toaster ovens for many years, had a nice one, why on earth would we use a conventional toaster? However, I took it to work and donated it to the breakroom, and it's been happy ever since.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 07:00 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

We have a toaster oven that's been in the garage for about 20 years, used it once. Burned out 3 toasters so far. To each his own, I guess.