Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-04-2015, 12:52 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
...The one big take-away for me after that is to make sure to let my kids know very clearly what stuff of mine has any financial value, what stuff has any sentimental value...
One of my brother-in-laws and his wife like to go to garage sales looking for bargain. More than once, they have bought heavy real gold jewelry that people sell at the price of costume jewelry for a couple of dollars. Ka ching!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2015, 12:52 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

One of my previous employers provided a gift catalogue at each anniversary (the choices got more extravagant for longer tenures) but also gave a gold charm or tie tack with the company logo and a diamond for every 5 years. I'm probably the only employee who ever bothered to have the charms mounted in a bracelet, but I had a charm bracelet and it was a good place for them. I did notice that at 5 years it was 10k gold but 5 years later it was gold-plated. We'll see how long it takes for the plating to wear off.

Old 08-04-2015, 01:42 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Here are two good rules, I try to apply but often don't.

Quote:
Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful.
William Morris
And.....

Quote:
Estimate the value of an object. Would you buy it at that price if you did not already have it? If the answer is no, sell it or give it away.
Obviously, none of this applies to precious things that have a personal/emotional value.
Old 08-04-2015, 02:56 PM   #44

In addition to the many pen and pencil presentation sets, pocket watch (in "hand rubbed" walnut case - 25 years plate on top), desk sets (including letter opener - what would I do with that?), certificates, awards, blah, blah, blah, I went so far as to actually take home (with permission) a 20 liter reagent bottle and a 30 liter bioautograph developing chamber. 40 years ago I had visions of turning these into terrarium or planters. For a couple of years, I used the 20 liter bottle for a "bank", dumping my daily change into it. Big mistake. I could barely turn the thing on its side to fish out the change later on. Funny how things that seem important at the time become huge paper weights later on. Eventually the later two items were passed on to a family friend (who probably tried using them as a bank or something just as impractical.)

Most of this junk just got dumped. Hate to think what Megacorp spent on trying to bribe us worker bees into compliance. It never worked. Most "tokens" became grim reminders of yet another failed program or policy (anyone remember Performance Excellence?) I kept the watch 'cause I like the presentation box. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 05:32 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerplay View Post
I have a scrapbook of the cards and notes from high school graduation 40+ years ago. It is enjoyable to sit and read through all the cards every few years and appreciate all the friends and family that are no longer here. Scanning those cards would lose the essence of them and would never be even a close second.
Emphasis added

Exactly!
Old 08-04-2015, 06:52 PM   #46

Over the 22 years in the Air Force, I accumulated quite a bit of junk. When I was all wrapped up and finally retired, I got rid of everything except my retirement flag and a couple of cool lithograph going away pictures. All the awards and other crap that would normally adore a "love me wall" were relegated to the garbage. I still have a ton of flight suits that I will sell one day when I get the motivation.
Another De-Cluttering Update
Old 08-04-2015, 09:12 PM   #47
Full time employment: Posting here.

Another De-Cluttering Update

I check in, on various threads, happy to report the progress of my Three-Year-House-Purge.

Can now see much more of the walls, in both the basement and the garage.

Habitat for Humanity is coming with a truck to carry away 3/4 of the furniture in DH's workshop........which will open up even more of the basement. Plus they are taking the ping-pong table. So the floor can be painted.

Threw away about half of our accumulated awards, and about half of my teaching files. (Down to one 5-drawer file cabinet, six large file boxes, and a lateral file in my office.) Would love to pitch more, but I never know when a new teacher will need stuff like essay topics for Crime and Punishment or theatre projects for Hamlet. It can make their week when I prevent them from having to "re-invent the wheel."

Since mentoring them is my little 2 day/mo. job, it's great to have an easy way to make their lives easier. So, I guess the boxes and cabinets will get hauled into my little condo someday..........unless I quit the little job.

Old 08-04-2015, 09:29 PM   #48
Full time employment: Posting here.

Friends know we're decluttering.

Me: "Do you want to know my best tip for decluttering?"

Them: "Yeah. What is it?"

Me: "Start ten years ago."

Old 08-04-2015, 10:05 PM   #49

Why do we save this junk?

'Cause it feels so good when we toss it!
Old 08-04-2015, 10:14 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

As they say, "that will come in handy to throw away sometime!"
Old 08-05-2015, 01:21 AM   #51

As you realize age has snuck up on you, it gets easier to throw stuff out. What's the likelihood of using most stuff you haven't used in 20 years when you likely have less than 20 to go. Not a pleasant thought, perhaps, but age is liberating in some ways. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 05:42 AM   #52

Not much useless stuff from work. But lots of work-related stuff. Many expensive outdated textbooks bought in medical school that I never looked at since. I've been clearing out books. Now the paper can be recycled, unlike 15 years ago. I stopped subscribing to most journals years ago. The one that I still get, I keep just kept 2 years then out to recycling. Now I look through to see if any of my med school and residency colleagues are authors. Lots of junk mail. Hospitals and health systems from a thousand miles away sending glossy monograms about their transplant programs. That's something I really need to keep up with on a regular basis (sarcasm).

DH and I walk past the recycling bin each day when we pick up the mail. We try to keep this useless stuff out of the house.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 08-05-2015, 07:22 AM   #53

Some books like bird field guides have been on the shelf for 40 years. My thinking how much can a bird species change. But I see everyone with their I-something with nice photos, bird songs and maps in an easy to carry format.

er bird.JPG
Old 08-05-2015, 07:55 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

I do have a few junk from w*rk that I've kept. Mostly for functionality such as a nice clock that also as the humidity thing which I hang on my wall and a letter opener. The best thing about the clock is the megacorp logo is barely noticeable .