Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-05-2014, 11:13 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

To me, thinking/dreaming along these lines is a waste of energy. You can't know & that's it.

Live well, take care of yourself and try to be as happy & fulfilled as you can.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2014, 11:45 PM   #22

I do not want to know how long I will live. I can't even guess it. Most of my relatives are living past their 70s, but others didn't. Those who didn't died early. So, if live past 55, I will likely live past 80. Until then, I will live like there is no tomorrow .

Old 01-06-2014, 06:21 AM   #23

I would prefer not to know when I will die.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 06:33 AM   #24

It would be useful to know if I'll live to be 100. Otherwise, no.

A former co-worker got the news -with no real symptoms- that he had "weeks" to live...I don't recommend having that information; he'd've been better just dropping without knowing.
Old 01-06-2014, 12:52 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Think I'll know when it happens. I wouldn't want to know in advance.
MRG

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 01-06-2014, 02:41 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
OP: This topic has been discussed here before, I don't think it makes many uncomfortable. I'd definitely want to know. I could get DW better prepared and make the most of my time left, accelerate the bucket list (I do have one). Not knowing makes planning WAY more difficult!
I agree. I have a bucket list I'd accelerate.

My brother died rather quickly at a youngish age (48). I saw him full of regrets of not having time or health to do the things he wanted to do. He went from full health to death in less than 6 months - with a rapid decline in his health... He wasn't healthy enough to deal with his bucket list. This shapes my thinking about wanting to know.

I know folks who say live every day like it's your last - but that's not pragmatic.
Old 01-06-2014, 03:21 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
I do not want to know my departure date, and I hope it comes suddenly, without warning, so that my final minute is as joyful as life is today.
+3 (or so)
I am not at all analytical on this subject. My only hope is that I go before DW (not that I'd want to know that either).
Old 01-06-2014, 04:07 PM   #28

I want to know so that I can do the ultimate retirement plan but as soon as its done I'd like to immediately forget, except for a nagging 'I KNOW I can retire TODAY .... I can't remember why, but I KNOW it !"
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 11:33 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

I want to know. No blindfold, thank you.

I want to see the G** d*** bullet. Maybe I can catch it in my teeth.

Maybe it is genetic. Every soul in my family (and DW's as well) puts up a fight. Obdurate Dutchmen and cantankerous pioneer farmers. Think: a family of Harry S. Trumans.

We are prepared now. Anything different will be an improvement.
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 12:32 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
I agree. I have a bucket list I'd accelerate.

My brother died rather quickly at a youngish age (48). I saw him full of regrets of not having time or health to do the things he wanted to do. He went from full health to death in less than 6 months - with a rapid decline in his health... He wasn't healthy enough to deal with his bucket list. This shapes my thinking about wanting to know...
But your brother did know. He had 6 months, while people dying in a stroke, heart attack, or an accident do not what's coming. Many people have the same fate as your brother. I would not know what to do, or how I would react if faced with the same prognosis.
Old 01-07-2014, 12:57 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeow View Post
I do not think I want to know the exact date. For one thing, knowing the exact date in advance would be to basically say that there is nothing one can do to change it. I would find that very depressing and demotivating.
Knowing the exact date would not be depressing or demotivating for me. The fact I will die is a given (and that can be a little depressing). Knowing the exact date doesn't make the inevitable more or less likely to happen. It IS going to happen!
Old 01-07-2014, 01:02 PM   #32
Full time employment: Posting here.

I look at it a little differently from the emotional side. Since it is a hypothetical question, I start to think about the hypothetical affects.

If everyone knew when they would die, our thoughts/feelings about death as a society (and individually) would be really different. People would plan their entire lives around how much time they have - maybe a 25 year-old who was going to die at 30 wouldn't ever get married or have kids. Someone who knew he was dying at 20 wouldn't bother with college or trying to get a job, someone who was going to live to 95 might choose not to marry someone who is dying at 35, etc...I think our thoughts about death would be very different than they are today. No shock, no unexpected deaths to grieve over, etc.

I like the idea of knowing, from the "bucket list" angle as well as planning, so maybe I am overthinking the rest....but since it is that type of question, I guess I am allowed.
Old 01-07-2014, 02:00 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

If we were born with an "expires on date" stamped on our butts, my only complaint would be it's hard to read in the mirror.