Join Early Retirement Today

Would really want to know???
Old 01-05-2014, 10:08 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Would really want to know???

Moderators: Not sure this belongs here or under another forum. Feel free to move to a more appropriate forum.

Would you really want to know how long you were going to live or even the exact date? I know this may not a popular/pleasant subject to discuss, but it is an important variable when planning for retirement. My plan has both of us living until 95. I just turned 50 and ER'ed last May. DW will ER when she turns 55. We have no kids.

My dad and his dad died at 70 and the women on my side of the family live into their 90's. So everyday pass 70 I'll be thankful ... DW is not close to her family so I do not have a lot of history from her side.... So having a plan to live to 95 with a chuck of money left over seems like a conservative plan for us.

I find myself going through thought scenarios of how my retirement plans & expenses would change if I actually knew how long I would live. I think if my number was up within 5 years I would not want to know because I would just be depressed as I count down the days. I think once you get to 10 years it becomes more mentally acceptable (at least for me)... If I had so munch money that I could spend what I wanted w/o running out of money then I do not think I would want to know at all.... I do not obsess about this and I know I have no control other then living a healthy lifestyle. I guess I just wanted to see if anyone else thinks about this...

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2014, 10:19 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I would want to know. I want to know everything else so I see it as just more potentially useful information

Old 01-05-2014, 10:46 AM   #3

Sure would help with planning if one knew the dirt nap check-out date !
Old 01-05-2014, 10:58 AM   #4

Aren't the people here all about planning? One thing that has pissed me off from my earliest memories in this world & all through adulthood is how everybody (besides me) flies by the seat of their pants and can't seem to see 5 minutes into the future. "You worry too much. Nuthin's gonna happen". And I had to depend on people like that growing up. Maybe that's why I crush the soul out of as many details as I can dream up whenever I am planning something.

Yes, my Croak Date is very useful information.
Old 01-05-2014, 11:57 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by razztazz View Post
Aren't the people here all about planning? One thing that has pissed me off from my earliest memories in this world & all through adulthood is how everybody (besides me) flies by the seat of their pants and can't seem to see 5 minutes into the future. "You worry too much. Nuthin's gonna happen". And I had to depend on people like that growing up. Maybe that's why I crush the soul out of as many details as I can dream up whenever I am planning something.

Yes, my Croak Date is very useful information.
I think you're ignoring the emotional and psychological aspect of this. From a purely analytical point of view then yes, of course, it would be very useful to know exactly when you were going to go.

If your mindset is 100% data-oriented then I understand your point of view. For myself though, I have to confess that I am a marginally more rounded human being than that. There is a certain mystery to life. Life is a gift and for me, at least, if I knew exactly how long that gift was going to last, it would detract from the value of it.

Oddly enough, life is not all about numbers. Not to this guy anyway.
Old 01-05-2014, 12:01 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have a health condition which results in a significantly reduced life expectancy. I'm very glad I know, and it has most certainly informed many of my major decisions including (especially) early retirement.

It doesn't change the math too much on saving, though, you still need to plan on the spouse potentially living to 95, or going to a nursing home, or whatever.
Old 01-05-2014, 12:44 PM   #7

Quote:
Life is a gift and for me, at least, if I knew exactly how long that gift was going to last, it would detract from the value of it.
For me the UNcertainty and constant equivocations of life are what most hinders the ability to enjoy it. Personally I am not "about numbers" like I am not about work. They're just chores that have to bedone
Old 01-05-2014, 12:56 PM   #8

I do not want to know my departure date, and I hope it comes suddenly, without warning, so that my final minute is as joyful as life is today.
Old 01-05-2014, 01:03 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I would not want to know.

I'd also definitely not want to be like the guy who got misdiagnosed with a terminal illness, spent all his money then found out the doc was wrong after all
Old 01-05-2014, 01:27 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I follow Woody Allen's approach.
I'm not afraid of death; I just don't want to be there when it happens.
Old 01-05-2014, 01:31 PM   #11

Quote:
I would want to know. I want to know everything else so I see it as just more potentially useful information
Count me in as wanting to know. Far from being depressed by this knowledge I think it would be liberating and energizing to make sure I made the most of the time available. As long as it is uncertain, I need to cautiously plan, just in case I live a very long time.

Of course, I'd have to be certain, unlike the guy who was given 6 months to live, spent all his money and then discovered he was misdiagnosed. Oops.
Old 01-05-2014, 02:29 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
I do not want to know my departure date, and I hope it comes suddenly, without warning, so that my final minute is as joyful as life is today.
+1

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 02:41 PM   #13

Quote:
+2. Well said!
Old 01-05-2014, 03:13 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

"I have a health condition which results in a significantly reduced life expectancy. I'm very glad I know, and it has most certainly informed many of my major decisions including (especially) early retirement."

Keep the faith, Jon! DW was given 2 months to live 4 years ago. After a while, I had to up my 401-k contirbution to account for her longevity!
Old 01-05-2014, 03:15 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
I'd also definitely not want to be like the guy who got misdiagnosed with a terminal illness, spent all his money then found out the doc was wrong after all
In the right circumstances (admittedly highly unusual) that can work to one's advantage. Some 30 years ago a guy at work was misdiagnosed as having cancer by the employer's doctor, took his advice and took a work-related disability retirement.

When it finally became clear he was not in the least bit sick they wanted to call him back to work. He just said "Y'know, my wife was very upset to hear that I was going to die within the year...."

Given that the county has a long history of losing lawsuits, they took the hint and let it go.
Old 01-05-2014, 04:08 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
...There is a certain mystery to life. Life is a gift and for me, at least, if I knew exactly how long that gift was going to last, it would detract from the value of it...
I have a feeling that it is unlikely that my longevity will be even as long as 80. It may be a bit shorter than that. Still, I do not want to know so early.

Quote:
Unless it's a stroke or heart problem, we usually will know when our days become numbered. I have been preparing myself for that day when that medical decree is handed down to me. A bit morbid perhaps, but I have always tried to be realistic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ticker View Post
Keep the faith, Jon! DW was given 2 months to live 4 years ago. After a while, I had to up my 401-k contirbution to account for her longevity!
Wow. That's what I was talking about, how to deal with that yourself, or when that happens to your loved ones.
Old 01-05-2014, 04:14 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I would want to know. I would make sure DW is well provided for and splurge and enjoy the rest.
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 04:48 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

OP: This topic has been discussed here before, I don't think it makes many uncomfortable. I'd definitely want to know. I could get DW better prepared and make the most of my time left, accelerate the bucket list (I do have one). Not knowing makes planning WAY more difficult!

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 04:49 PM   #19

I do not think I want to know the exact date. For one thing, knowing the exact date in advance would be to basically say that there is nothing one can do to change it. I would find that very depressing and demotivating.

On the other hand, I would want to know about risks or illnesses I might have where I could perhaps do something to ameliorate the situation (not necessarily survive longer, but perhaps improve health in the meantime, that kind of thing)
Old 01-05-2014, 05:33 PM   #20
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by razztazz View Post
+1 for me.

Of course, I am not sure how this would be accomplished without something along the lines of what is portrayed in Logan's Run; and, I am not too keen on that even though I loved the movie.

CoolChange is offline   Reply With Quote