Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-25-2007, 07:53 AM   #141
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
How have alleged adults become so close-minded and ignorant that they cannot understand that in a multicultural, multiethnic, multireligion society like ours a compulsory religious ceremony can be offensive to many people forced to attend?
And when did this become compulsory? Don't shift the grounds.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2007, 08:06 AM   #142
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
And when did this become compulsory? Don't shift the grounds.
It has a compulsory element when you are expected (from a job perspective) to be at a meeting and are presented with the unwelcomed scenario.

Your obsession with the polemics gives the impression that you are ignoring that there are legitimate, relevant arguments on both sides of this original question.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 08:12 AM   #143
Recycles dryer sheets

Good grief.

When was it that saying a blessing at a meal became "the unwelcomed scenario"?
Old 09-25-2007, 08:14 AM   #144
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joss View Post
Good grief.

When was it that saying a blessing at a meal became "the unwelcomed scenario"?
When the boss did it.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 08:17 AM   #145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
It has a compulsory element when you are expected (from a job perspective) to be at a meeting and are presented with the unwelcomed scenario.

Your obsession with the polemics gives the impression that you are ignoring that there are legitimate, relevant arguments on both sides of this original question.
No Rich, it's your view that it's compulsory. You and others have read far too much into the original scenario. You infer that if you walk out the lunch when the CEO says grace that you're career is doomed at the company -- now where is that found in the post. Very polemical, isn't it? So you say it's compulsory. I'm not ignoring your arguments -- I just don't agree with them.
Old 09-25-2007, 08:19 AM   #146

Quote:
When the boss did it.
And when no one objected to it! I get it the Boss should have read everyone's mind.
Old 09-25-2007, 08:21 AM   #147
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
And when no one objected to it! I get it the Boss should have read everyone's mind.
Drop dead Have a nice life.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 08:31 AM   #148

Quote:
Drop dead Have a nice life.
Wow, way to go Brewer.
Old 09-25-2007, 08:59 AM   #149
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Texas Proud and Dex, I have a question for you: Do you read your words into the sentences I have written? You claim I change the assumptions of a business lunch at a strip joint -- now all I did was provide greater context, and as I said context is everything. And Dex, read your own posts, you basically say it's wrong to have a lunch at a strip joint in my context because you say it's wrong -- you're the one who brings up strawmen arguments, not me. It's really incredulous to both of you that I support the efforts of a CEO to accommodate the religious views of his employees and, in doing so, you both have painted me as intolerant! And yet you cannot see the intolerance of your own views? Texas Proud, you're really getting silly when you say that religion is not brought into a company function! You don't object, I suppose, to the day off you undoubtedly receive on the 25th of December, or that the New York Stock Exchange is closed on Good Friday -- the Muslims and Jews are probably wondering when on earth will the entire workforce be given a holiday at your company for Yom Kippur or the begining of Rammadan. And the Wiccan wants to know why isn't Earth Day a national holiday. And your office birthday parties are really annoying to the Jehovah Witnesses in your office -- why don't you just do away with them? Yeah, I know you'll all say these are part of our culture and the religious meaning is secondary, like Thanksgiving; yada yada yada!

Yep, your posts are really funny. I cannot tolerate the laughter anymore. And Texax Proud, as you indicated before maybe you don't have to put ya hand on that Bible or some other book in Texas when you get sworn in as a witness in a trial. But when you lose that case and appeal it to the United States Supreme Court, and when you sit down in the Court's spaceous and dignified courtroom to hear your appeal and the 9 justices walk into the courtroom, you'll hear the Clerk say "God save the United States and this Honorable Court." Of course, you have the right not to rise with other members of the audience in the courtroom and walk out in protest of that brief prayer, but I doubt you would. You'll just stew in your chair and think the Justices are so intolerant for that brief acknowledgment of God and it's impostion on everyone else who doesn't believe in God, right?
You definately should take a leadership role on the diversity committee. And don't be afraid to express your views. I think they will be welcomed. Let us know how it turns out.
God Bless
Good Luck
Old 09-25-2007, 09:23 AM   #150
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Since God is all powerful and all knowing, could He create an argument so unfathomable that not even the most intelligent of His creations can understand it?
Old 09-25-2007, 09:33 AM   #151
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin View Post
Since God is all powerful and all knowing, could He create an argument so unfathomable that not even the most intelligent of His creations can understand it?
Isn't this similar to the George Carlin question "If God is all powerful; can he make a rock so big that even he can't lift it?"
Old 09-25-2007, 10:08 AM   #152
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post
Isn't this similar to the George Carlin question "If God is all powerful; can he make a rock so big that even he can't lift it?"
Pretty much. I don't think George Carlin is the original source of the inquiry into the omnipotence paradox though.
Old 09-25-2007, 12:04 PM   #153
Give me a forum ...

Lets take this all the way back to the beginning and try it from a slightly different perspective

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
Yesterday I attended a work lunch. The CEO was present. After our entrees arrived, someone suggested the food be blessed. The CEO then offerred a prayer.
I am the boss and I am an atheist. I have never expressed my views to others and have not experienced any problems on the job. But I suspect that my views would not be well received by top management (after all, everyone says an atheist couldn't get elected to dog catcher in America). Maybe I am over sensitive but maybe not.

Now comes the request for a blessing of the food at our office luncheon. I would probably try to handle that by saying something like, "Sure, lets everyone observe a moment of silence," or some other vague reference. But I would definitely feel awkward and, since I didn't actually offer a blessing, many observers would probably make accurate assessments of the nature of my beliefs. If it was a regular practice to offer blessings I would have to be a hypocrite and participate or I would have to explicitly state that I was uncomfortable with the practice and decline to engage. As for me -- I would not hide me beliefs in these circumstances but in many organizations I would be concerned that they would be (unfairly) held against me.

That situation is fine if you choose to work at a faith based organization but pretty obnoxious in a public company.
Old 09-25-2007, 12:20 PM   #154

Quote:
You definately should take a leadership role on the diversity committee. And don't be afraid to express your views. I think they will be welcomed. Let us know how it turns out.
God Bless
Good Luck
I'm not afraid to stand out in the open for my views. I wouldn't pen an anonymous email to my company if I believed I was wronged, as you suggested here.

Quote:

Here is a suggestion - get a Yahoo email account and email the head of the Human Resourses dept with your concern. Tell him you do not feel comfortable giving your name or anyway for them to identify you.
Thanks for the blessing.
Old 09-25-2007, 12:25 PM   #155
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

.... a nondemoninational prayer, which does not profess any particular faith -- except the belief in something greater than ourselves -- is only upsetting to an Atheist. So, the Atheist should not be forced to participate in the group prayer -- it's against his religion but should his right to be left alone trump everyone else's.
Huh? As a non-card-carrying atheist (I would not capitalize it), this entire statement rings false! Against what religion? A simple definition of atheist is one who believes neither in god nor an afterlife. Perhaps I'm a low level inept atheist as it does not disturb me to think there are things out there greater than myself.
Old 09-25-2007, 12:52 PM   #156

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
Lets take this all the way back to the beginning and try it from a slightly different perspective

I am the boss and I am an atheist. I have never expressed my views to others and have not experienced any problems on the job. But I suspect that my views would not be well received by top management (after all, everyone says an atheist couldn't get elected to dog catcher in America). Maybe I am over sensitive but maybe not.

Now comes the request for a blessing of the food at our office luncheon.
Well, I'm the boss and the atheist. And here's what I would do because I believe in sticking up for my rights: "I'm uncomfortable with giving this blessing as I'm an atheist and it's against my belief to acknowledge the existence of God. I know that this is not a view shared by many but this is my belief. I hope you will respect my views. So, if someone else wants to give this blessing that would be fine with me. In the future, if blessings are to be given, I won't be present for them."

Or I'm the atheist co-worker who hears about the blessing: I simply excuse myself and go to the restroom or I say the blessing makes me uncomfortable and leave the area.

In these cases, I have been faithful to my principles and yet I have permitted others to be faithful to their principles as well! And if my employer didn't respect my principles here, I'd take appropriate action or find another job. Oh, and those same people used to say that a Catholic could never be elected President in this country let alone a Black Man or Woman. And yes, you're being ultra-sensitive.
Old 09-25-2007, 12:52 PM   #157
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Wow, way to go Brewer.
I think he's letting you know that he's read enough of your posts to deem you worthy of addition to his "Ignore Poster" list.

While I agree that the original scenario (as proposed over 150 posts ago) is culturally appropriate, I don't care for your methods of discussing the issue. Your repeated pejoratives and condescending comments to the other posters give the impression that you can't strengthen your arguments on their merits and feel entitled to resort to personal attacks.

You have a nice life now.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 12:57 PM   #158
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post

You have a nice life now.
One of my favorite w**k stories involved a Christian! I was happily leaving a job (permanently) for a few months R&R. He said, "Good buy, have a nice life and since its Good Friday, have a nice afterlife."
Old 09-25-2007, 01:02 PM   #159
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
... and since its Good Friday, have a nice afterlife."
Was he suggesting that you should also be crucified, drop dead, and pray for resurrection?!?

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 01:12 PM   #160
Give me a forum ...

I think it was the great thinker Anonymous who wrote that a society is judged by how it treats its weakest and most vulnerable.

It is great that so many would speak up against the blessing of the food. However there are many who would not do so out of fear. And I would guess there are many more who would not than would.

I do not believe an employee should have to think of a way to work around the situation. Many might not be able to think up a solution that would not make them feel outside of the group.