Would Upgrading From 19 to 24 Inch Monitor Make Much Difference?

I have Dell U2515H, sitting about 24" in front of me. I am running 2048 x 1152 resolution, even though recommended setting is 2560 x 1440. Everything was just too small for my liking.
If you want to keep the higher resolution, and text in file explorer is too small, you can adjust just that. Or, you can adjust the dpi setting, and affect the size of everything. I see Win 10 has a scaling option too, in display settings.
Make one setting change at a time, or risk losing your way!

I was using a 40" TV as the monitor for a while, which was nice. Went back to 24" to save a few dollars in electricity a month.

I tried adjusting the display settings, but even just a bit of magnification over 100% setting brings up too much blur for me.

Well, I don't use the file manager a lot. Mostly I just web browse and which isn't that bad. I'll stick to that for now, but maybe around the holidays, will look into a 24 inch monitor and do some trial and error then.

I had to start wearing reading glasses a couple years ago. Any font will do now.

I have a pair of trusty computer glasses. Without them, I'd get total eyestrain with regular glasses.

I have 2 27" monitors which are 3840 x 2160. I like them as I can put two web pages side by side on each monitor. Note that for most web pages there is scaling so that it is easy to read.

I also use computer glasses. They are transition lenses where the top half is set for intermediate distances and the body is reading glasses. Makes it really easy to see.

I tried adjusting the display settings, but even just a bit of magnification over 100% setting brings up too much blur for me.

Well, I don't use the file manager a lot. Mostly I just web browse and which isn't that bad. I'll stick to that for now, but maybe around the holidays, will look into a 24 inch monitor and do some trial and error then.

Anytime I "can't see" on a computer I try pressing CNTRL and the Plus sign at the same time activating the zoom in keyboard shortcut.

Cntrl plus the Minus will Zoom out, and Cntrl and 0 will reset to 100%. Your welcome.:D Only works for some apps and not the desktop.

I'll stick to that for now, but maybe around the holidays, will look into a 24 inch monitor and do some trial and error then.

If you sign up for Dell's [-]spam[/-] special deals they'll send an email about once a week and if you're shopping that can be helpful. I got lucky and the one I wanted to buy (24" IPS) went on sale about two weeks later so I bought it.

Also, there were no issues turning it off when I was no longer looking for a new monitor.

Anytime I "can't see" on a computer I try pressing CNTRL and the Plus sign at the same time activating the zoom in keyboard shortcut.

Cntrl plus the Minus will Zoom out, and Cntrl and 0 will reset to 100%. Your welcome.:D Only works for some apps and not the desktop.

Thanks for the tip. If only that worked with the desktop.

I may have to poke around a bit to see if there's some app out there that does something similar on the desktop, then do some function key setting up.

I've gone old school since I never could get the power management to work properly under Win 10. I now have a function key to do a manual sleep. Kinda brings back memory of w*rk when I had my PF keys mapped for various functions.

I use my 65" TV as a computer monitor and have a wireless mouse and keyboard. I'll never go back to a monitor on a desk.

Your timing is great. Hold out for a good sale and go big.

Monitors, laptops, printers, etc. going on sale now through end of Sept. for back to school sales. Then Black Friday.

So how does one know if their computer matches the monitor. For example, I don’t want to buy a Hight end gaming monitor, if my computer is only able to put out basic video. I know you could buy a video card, but I’d rather just buy a monitor that can use all my computer can output and nothing more, as it would be wasted.

So how does one know if their computer matches the monitor. For example, I don’t want to buy a Hight end gaming monitor, if my computer is only able to put out basic video. I know you could buy a video card, but I’d rather just buy a monitor that can use all my computer can output and nothing more, as it would be wasted.
Depends on the graphics subsystem. I have this NVIDIA control panel. And there are other system areas where you can gather info. Once you know the adapter model, you probably have what info you need.
Also can look in System Information > Display.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    20.9 KB · Views: 10
Don't bother with 24"

Monitor is on the corner of my desk. 24 inches from my eyes. Perfect...with my previous pair of glasses.

I agree. Don't bother with 24 or 25. Go big. You will not regret it (as long as you have the space)

+1 Don't think small

I upgrade to Samsung 27" Curved and like it very much for reading, spread sheets, etc. I still had more room on my desk so I got BenQ 28" 1080p to put next to my new curved screen. I watch Yahoo news & YouTube videos on this one. It's great to run my laptop with this setup.

Depends on the graphics subsystem. I have this NVIDIA control panel. And there are other system areas where you can gather info. Once you know the adapter model, you probably have what info you need.
Also can look in System Information > Display.

Okay, but what in that graphic/data tells you that your computer can output video that will drive a ultra high def 4K monitor versus a basic $200 monitor? I’d just hate to spend money on a high end monitor if my computer only outputs average video. I don’t understand.

This is my data:
zeizm79o75ukjpcb.JPG

Last edited:
So basically it is the resolution numbers? My machine has a max resolution of 1920 x 1080 so, for me, unless I invest in computer equipment, there would seem to be no point in a monitor with more unless I’m buying for the future. Thanks!

So basically it is the resolution numbers? My machine has a max resolution of 1920 x 1080 so, for me, unless I invest in computer equipment, there would seem to be no point in a monitor with more unless I’m buying for the future. Thanks!
I suspect that even adding a graphics adapter wouldn't get you satisfactory results.
Some computers don't realize how old they are.
[emoji42]

Back
Top Bottom