Join Early Retirement Today
Old 07-16-2015, 01:59 PM   #41
DS and I get along fine, but we live ~2000 miles apart. While our mom was alive, I visited every month or two (they were in the same town) and talked regularly, but since she died last year, we don't have a reason to be in touch often. I do plan to call her this evening (today would have been Mom's 85th birthday). I do enjoy her company when we get together, but don't think I would have picked her for a friend (she is much more extroverted than I am).

"One of the funny things about the stock market is that every time one person buys, another sells, and both think they are astute." William Feather
ER'd Oct. 2010 at 53. Life is good.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2015, 02:34 PM   #42
Full time employment: Posting here.
I have 2 older siblings & no.

Teacher Terry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 02:48 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets
I am #4 of 5 siblings and the three older ones (sister and 2 brothers) are much older. Younger brother and I are 1.5 years apart. The two oldest siblings always hated my younger brother and I and were very open about it.

Our parents were both dead by the time I was 25, and the two oldest siblings (sister and brother) came to my younger brother and I expecting us to continue the handouts they got from mom and dad! Because my sister has many, many children, I have tried reaching out to her over the years hoping that I could have relationships with these nieces and nephews. Unless I am constantly providing gifts/money, they are not interested. Unfortunately, her children also expect the same from me, so I gave up.

My younger brother is probably my favorite person in the whole world. I absolutely adore him, so yes, I would definitely be friends with him. We have tons in common and I really enjoy his company. In fact, DH and I are taking my brother's family with us to Europe next year. We really appreciate the good relationship we have with his family.
Retired in 2014 at 45.
pullmyfinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 03:46 PM   #44
No, but not because of any hostilities. My sisters and I just have different priorities and interests but they're good people. My older sister did ask me to be her back-up POA after her husband and I agreed to do that for her.
I heard the call to do nothing. So I answered it.
Walt34 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 04:46 PM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets
My brother and I rarely talk but when we do get together we get along well. We are both very independent people so those gaps in time are not a factor for us. We were never close growing up.

I am much closer to my sister, likely because we live in the same town, but also have more similar interests, my DW and BIL as well. We would likely be friends if not for being family.

DW siblings are a mixed bag of personalities. No chance there.
Asher Aion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 05:52 PM   #46
No, definitely not. My sister is very, very difficult to get along with. After about an hour or two around her, I have had more than enough (and my wife can't take that much). My brother and I basically have little or nothing in common. I get along with him, but there is just not that much to talk about.
RAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 06:36 PM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets
I have five siblings and we would not be friends, not because we don't like each other but just because we don't have much in common. My two sisters and one brother barely finished high school, are not career oriented but are extroverted, party and drink a lot, smoke, always broke, and the women are into dating, clothes, jewelry, and makeup. I'm female but am introverted, analytical, educated, career oriented, and a home body. I have more in common with my other two brothers but one is politically conservative and religious. They live about 600-1500 miles from me in a state that I intensely dislike but they think is great. We try to get together at Christmas and I occasionally visit.

My family life was very dysfunctional with divorced parents, etc. and we just all sort of went our own separate ways after high school. On the other hand, the older kids in my family basically raised the younger kids while my parents were off working or whatever. So we have a special bond and will always love and care about each other. I love my siblings much more than I ever loved my parents which is probably not the norm.
ABQ2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 06:40 PM   #48

My brother (4 years younger) and I get along very well but we have little in common besides DIY skills . We have never "hung out" together...but both of us are both always available to help the other if needed. He lives 20 minutes away, but we only see each other a couple times a month for a family event or to help our parents reno or fix something at their house. He'll be building a house next year and I'll be helping him, so the contact will be ramped up for a while. But, when the house is done we'll revert to the occasional contact that is the norm.

My sister is very mother says she's becoming a hoarder (I haven't been to her place in a decade even though she lives 15 minutes away). She's a drama queen, and 90% of what comes out of her mouth is a complaint. It's extremely tiring to be in the same room as her due to her constant negativity.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 06:44 PM   #49
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Can't say, I'm an only. Always thought I was missing something without siblings... then maybe not
rbmrtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 06:54 PM   #50
DW and I each have one sibling. She would not remotely qualify as a friend- very different. My brother would not have qualified as a friend for many years but it seems like in the last few years we're growing closer (slightly). We don't go out of our way to contact each other but we get along pretty well now at family gathers. Maybe we're acquaintances now??
panacea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 06:55 PM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets
I am the oldest of five. Three of us are very close in age. The other two came much later. My brother is just a year younger and is wildly successful in his business but his personal life is a shambles. With that said, he would be the first person to come to the rescue. My sisters and I are very close even with the age gap. The benefit for us is that our children have grown up together and are so close.

I think our parents divorce helped us to be closer. We basically raised ourselves. So overall glad to have their friendship.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
prose3589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 07:12 PM   #52
Originally Posted by rbmrtn View Post
Can't say, I'm an only. Always thought I was missing something without siblings... then maybe not
I have no siblings either.....and I get along tremendously with all of them.
"Exit, pursued by a bear."

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 08:07 PM   #53
I have a step bro and a bio sister. Hecka no on my step bro...he is so self centered and focused on what he can get and how he can look good from/to others.
My bio sister has had alot of problems in the past, drugs, wrong men and even got shot in the chin when she would not give up the drugs she had just bought......
Now she is a changed woman/survivor and we are getting closer and closer. She really looks after our Mom and has been sober for 10+ years. It was really strange and nice to re-connect with her after so many years - I would totally pick her as
Freed at 49. You only live once - live it
Donzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 09:48 PM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets
Love my siblings and we get along well, but if not related, I doubt we would be friends. Too much of an age difference between us all, totally different lifestyles.
pacergal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 10:07 PM   #55
One brother, no, he makes us all furious whenever we are around him. Another brother, yes, but we have less in common, so wouldn't be as close. My last brother, definitely, we travel with them annually and have a great time.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 11:16 PM   #56
Another NO here. Although I don't blame my siblings. Dysfunctional family, the fault of whacko parent. And I was the abused one. We are all spaced far apart now, geographically. When DW-to-be met my family many decades ago, she did not think I was really related to them... I couldn't be.
My independent spirit was forged in the fires of abuse. And so was empathy.
-- Telly, the D-I-Y guy --
Two fools dancing on the hands of time
Telly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 11:47 PM   #57
Recycles dryer sheets
I'm not anything even remotely close to my siblings. My older brother, at 58 was diagnosed with Alzheimer. I hadn't really even talked with him for maybe 3 or 4 years before that and he's now 62.
Younger sister is batshit crazy. I can't describe her any better than that, but I wouldn't go near that dingbat for any amount of money.
Younger brother is o.k. but he's got anger issues and I just don't need someone with that in my life.

However, my own kids and now grandkids couldn't be closer. We all get along so well, we take month-long and longer vacations together. It's been great!
skipro33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 12:47 AM   #58
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
My oldest sister I think so despite the 12 year age gap. We are pretty much alike.

My younger sister (9 years older), very unlikely we are very different and have much different interest. Here is the irony my younger sister and are quite close. Certainly because we only live 5 miles apart, but also because of opposites attract. I can easily see my sister and I being business partners in another life.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 04:24 AM   #59
Recycles dryer sheets
Yes, I do believe we would all be friends. Also, I have mentioned to my Mom that if she were not my Mom, I would have wanted her to be an neighbor lady that I could have talked to growing up.

My Mom is a good person.
I find this early retirement topic sooo very overwhelming.
lampshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 05:22 AM   #60
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
My sister and I get along fine but we wouldn't be friends. We talk weekly, but when our parents are no longer alive, I suspect we'll talk less and less frequently. She might want to stay in touch more than I do.

DW might be friends with two of her siblings, but no chance with her other two siblings.

No one agrees with other people's opinions; they merely agree with their own opinions -- expressed by somebody else. Sydney Tremayne
Retired Jun 2011 at age 57

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote