Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-14-2009, 12:18 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I think you should definitely follow your gut, stay a safe distance away from fellers who are given you the heebies.

There's a difference between feeling bad for someone who is down on their luck and feeling unsafe in your neighborhood. Also, do these folks seem to have mental problems too? That definitely ups the safety problems.

I've had a friend punched straight in the face by a random street person while she was just walking down the street, another coworker saw a woman grabbed aggressively by another deranged fellow and another coworker had a woman try to grab her baby from her arms while walking down the street, a man walked toward me who I thought was just another homeless guy, as he came closer gave me the creeps, he was saying nasty sexual things to me and then I realized he had a broken bottle in his hand - I was taking a walk with my daughter in the stroller - luckily it was a busy area and i felt relatively safe enough to walk quickly away from him and he was too slow to do anything. I think the mental illness and alcohol/drug abuse factor ups the anty - take good caution and play safe rather than "sorry" !

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2009, 07:37 AM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

I second or third the pepper spray, but make sure you read the instructions completely and make yourself very familiar with the can. If you need it you will be using it in a tense situation and the more familiar you are with how the can feels in your hand with the nozzel pointing away from you the better.

Bruce

Old 02-14-2009, 07:53 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Good your getting out. My wife who trusts no one carries mace with her if it is legal in your state.

It's funny, but mace is legal in NY, where we come from, but guns are not. In Nevada where we are now, guns are legal, but I believe mace is not, go figure. But she brought the mace from NY. She is always at the ready, when out in the street, and especially when opening the door.

jug
Old 02-14-2009, 08:14 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by jug View Post
It's funny, but mace is legal in NY, where we come from, but guns are not. In Nevada where we are now, guns are legal, but I believe mace is not, go figure. But she brought the mace from NY. She is always at the ready, when out in the street, and especially when opening the door.

jug
Carry it anyway.

"I'd rather be tried by twelve than carried by six."
Old 02-14-2009, 08:15 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

OldBabe, sorry you have to deal with this. I think the idea of talking to the police is a good one, sounds like the area could use a conspicuous police presence. Where I live, a safe block can be just a few steps from a red-light district, gang turf, and/or drug dealing area. Iíve had a couple of situations where I wandered just off the beaten path and was stopped by cops (sometimes undercover) who told me to get out of the area. I wonít move and wonít give up my joy in walking around the city but am very aware. I donít carry weapons or pepper spray but do sometimes use evasive measures if someone is following too close or walking too slow up ahead, turning around often, apparently to see why Iím not catching up. The flip side of this is that bad things also happen in good areas, city or country. As they used to say in the Ď60s in pseudo Latin, ďillegitimus non carborundum."
Old 02-14-2009, 10:16 AM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Sell the house now, while it's still a high priced neighborhood.

As has been shown in various idealistic 1960's "planned communities," bringing a poor element into a nice neighborhood doesn't elevate the poor element; it only brings down the nice neighborhood.
Old 02-14-2009, 10:27 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

City living has its challenges. I have always found that the longer we live in a city neighborhood, the more secure we feel. Much of it is getting to know the cues and boundaries that evolve; the occasional homeless person hanging around the gas statioin, or cruising along the main drag becomes familiar and non-threatening, but the one who strays deep into the residential parts (versus the business streets) become an object of attention.

On the plus side, there is almost always pedestrian traffic and people around. The neighbors seem to be alert though not paranoid, and any unusual happenings lead to lights being turned on and people taking a look outside their homes. Usually turns out to be a false alarm, but that's fine. Lots of folks own dogs who seem to understand these things.

We walk miles in our neighborhood without a concern almost every day. Would not do the same 6 blocks to the north. Very rarely we have called the police to check out a very suspicious scenario (kids in a run down pick up walking into a neighbors garage).

But you've got to feel basically safe, if not invulnerable, in your own neighborhood and what does that for one person may be different for another. My semi-rural friends seem equally affected - they all have weapons and a stranger wandering in the back 40 in a remote area is not something they take kindly to.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 04:02 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Carry it anyway.

I love cops who give advice like this (and I agree 100%). It always reminds me of when my old grandma complained about people coming into her yard, and the cop told her "if you shoot one, make sure you drag him into the house".

Seriously, though, I second all the people who say to follow your gut. Better safe than politically correct. Like that old saying, a conservative is a liberal who's been mugged.
Old 02-14-2009, 05:36 PM   #29

Quote:
Carry it anyway.

If she had to use the illegal mace to defend herself if she was attacked, I'd say good luck trying to find 12 people who would convict her...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 06:14 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Carry it anyway.

I have a female friend who is married to a NYS Trooper. He often works long hours and sometimes doubles. She owns an exercise place with late release night classes across the street from a bar that can be rough at times.
My area is relatively safe. However she asked me where I got my pepper spray. So I bought her one to save her the trip. Capsaicin spray is not illegal, but it is not sold freely at the counter. Mace is very hard to find, at least legally.
I asked the Trooper if capsaicin is OK. He essentially said, if it's strictly for defense, no problem. If it is used in an assault or a robbery or brought into a public building or airport (intent) , it is treated as an assault weapon just like a knife or gun would be. Busted!!!
Old 02-14-2009, 06:42 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Capsaicin spray is not illegal, but it is not sold freely at the counter. Mace is very hard to find, at least legally.
NYers can get pepper spray legal for their state from Buying Force Spray, Pepper Spray in NY New York State NYC Law.

If you're not in NY or similarly evil state, you can protect yourself with batons and tasers; and citizens of the 39 shall-issue states can get their CCP/CCL and pocket carry a nice little SW 442.
Old 02-14-2009, 06:56 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by slouch View Post
NYers can get pepper spray legal for their state from Buying Force Spray, Pepper Spray in NY New York State NYC Law.

If you're not in NY or similarly evil state, you can protect yourself with batons and tasers; and citizens of the 39 shall-issue states can get their CCP/CCL and pocket carry a nice little SW 442.
Yes, I am in NY. Born and raised and still living here.

I actually have a local store who carries capsaicin spray, but it is not openly displayed for the easy taking. Store owner always asks me why I need it, and I say for defense. No problem.
It's kind of like the old days of buying rubbers at the drugstore. Yes, I was the one who went in, not my BF.
Old 02-14-2009, 07:03 PM   #33

Quote:
It's kind of like the old days of buying rubbers at the drugstore. Yes, I was the one who went in, not my BF.
Did you tell the drugstore owner they were for defense too?
Old 02-14-2009, 07:05 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE'd@51 View Post
No, but I should have.
Old 02-14-2009, 07:38 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE'd@51 View Post
So what is wrong with using them when playing offense?
Old 02-15-2009, 02:18 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post
The size meant for discouraging bears would be best, although it's the most expensive.
Old 02-15-2009, 09:36 AM   #37

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
The size meant for discouraging bears would be best, although it's the most expensive.
Rubbers for bears?? Sounds like a sick fraternity event
Whatever guys, just be very careful
Old 02-15-2009, 11:54 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPatrick View Post
So what is wrong with using them when playing offense?
It all depends on who has possession of the ball.
Old 02-15-2009, 02:07 PM   #39

Quote:
It all depends on who has possession of the ball.
Old 02-15-2009, 02:59 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPatrick View Post
Rubbers for bears?? Sounds like a sick fraternity event
Many running backs during the Chicago Bears Butkus era wished Dick had been wearing one!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bio-2.jpg (18.4 KB, 76 views)