Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-15-2009, 02:11 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

This has been one of the most unanticipated threadjacks yet.

BTW Oldbabe, those homeless creeps are usually not a big problem, but they are a pita and every now and then one of the nutters among them does go off.

You'll be happier elsewhere, IMO. Glad to hear you listed your place. I really like city life, but I do not like the low life on the sidewalk any more than you do. It is a real relief when I am in more upscale location where people are polite to one another, rather than playing sidewalk chicken all day. On an average day, I am accosted by at 15-20 panhandlers and they are small part of city social friction.

The problem is that I hate driving even more than dodging people on the street.

I think Vienna or Geneva might suit me, but I am not financially or lingusitically qualified.

Ha
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2009, 03:23 PM   #42
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
This has been one of the most unanticipated threadjacks yet.

BTW Oldbabe, those homeless creeps are usually not a big problem, but they are a pita and every now and then one of the nutters among them does go off.

You'll be happier elsewhere, IMO. Glad to hear you listed your place. I really like city life, but I do not like the low life on the sidewalk any more than you do. It is a real relief when I am in more upscale location where people are polite to one another, rather than playing sidewalk chicken all day. On an average day, I am accosted by at 15-20 panhandlers and they are small part of city social friction.

The problem is that I hate driving even more than dodging people on the street.

I think Vienna or Geneva might suit me, but I am not financially or lingusitically qualified.

Ha
Hmmm - perhaps so. I remember the old days - back when I was er younger in the accumulation phase - the talk was to find the low life areas that were getting gentrified and trying to get in at the start of the trend.

Not that I ever hired the homeless to work for cash/off the books - nod nod wink wink. I just heard about it. .

heh heh heh - so does one move in the same town - following trends - if they can be identified?
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 03:48 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post
Hmmm - perhaps so. I remember the old days - back when I was er younger in the accumulation phase - the talk was to find the low life areas that were getting gentrified and trying to get in at the start of the trend.

Not that I ever hired the homeless to work for cash/off the books - nod nod wink wink. I just heard about it. .

heh heh heh - so does one move in the same town - following trends - if they can be identified?
I think this loses its charm as you get older. "Gentrification" can take longer than we have. UM, you are familiar with Seattle. Georgetown is currently hyped as undergoing gentrification. Georgetown is easily the ugliest piece of industrial waste that the realtor corps has ever attempted to foist onto buyers. They say gays are first into a new hip area- no gay could stand even one evening in Georgetown.

An area with greater hope IMO is the Central District. But here you have lots of real heavy duty street crime. Bang-bang you are dead type crime. Not many gays here either. The CD has some pretty streets, unlike Georgetown, but it is a real mess demographically. And, it isn't cheap. Plenty opportunity to lose important money here should police layoffs lead to more street crime. I have walked around here quite a bit, and it really is not pleasant. Of course Georgetown is worse, it's like walking around a 1950s auto wrecking yard.

Remember, don't believe anything you hear from anyone who has an interest in selling you on their POV.

One problem Seattle has is that is spite of stunning natural beauty, much of its housing stock was slapped together in various booms. The manmade part of Seattle is truly third rate. So anything that is nice is unbelievably expensive. Eventually the entire city will be town houses and condos. Unfortunately, many of the town houses that have been built recently look like they are designed by the 3 Stooges.
If my family were not here I would be looking at upscale parts of other urban areas with a lot of walk-to attractions in cities that are not so outrageously overpriced for what you are getting.

Ha
Old 02-16-2009, 07:06 AM   #44
Give me a forum ...

All of this talk about pepper spray inspired a question. I have a 20 year old can of some kind of self defense spray. If it still squirts is the stuff likely potent or does it spoil with age? And whoever, said it is like buying rubbers, I agree. There is just something about buying a can a pepper spray that is embarrassing. I would much rather buy a gun - still waiting for DC to sort out its regs.
Old 02-16-2009, 07:25 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...

I always enjoy haha's observations.

Quote:
Ha, as I recall, you have spent enough time in Latin America to get into trouble. Ever think of trying someplace like Guadalajara or Chapala?
Old 02-16-2009, 07:34 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
All of this talk about pepper spray inspired a question. I have a 20 year old can of some kind of self defense spray. If it still squirts is the stuff likely potent or does it spoil with age?
I spoke to a Sgt regarding your question this a.m. You should be able to tell if it is still usable by spaying some...just a little bit..(away from your face). Do not spray it on your skin. You should be able to tell by the smell and any reaction you have to it. If you notice nothing, it has expired. If you don't want it anymore, you may want to see if the police dept will destroy it for you. If they can't, spray the can in the outdoors until it is empty,then toss the can.
Old 02-16-2009, 07:37 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
There is just something about buying a can a pepper spray that is embarrassing. I would much rather buy a gun - still waiting for DC to sort out its regs.
When all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

If the person is attacking you with their hands, killing them might be frowned upon.
Spraying them with pepper spray would give you a change to run away.
I have a small can of pepper spray on a key chain.

TAC-156 - Secure Self Defense Spray, Key Chain, Advanced 4 in 1 Formula, Pepper Gas, CS Tear Gas, CN, Dye
Old 02-16-2009, 10:03 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

The answer to your fears

Old 02-16-2009, 12:49 PM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

I wonder: if I carried a spray can, would I be more likely to stray deeper into unsafe situations?
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 01:04 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
I wonder: if I carried a spray can, would I be more likely to stray deeper into unsafe situations?
I know that I would not. A spray can is not like Dirty Harry's .44mag. If someone is bent on hurting you, once he is close enough to be affected by spray you are likely going to be hurt. Even assuming right weather conditions, etc.

Just guessing here, but I would imagine it is much more likely to help with opportunistic rapists and muggers, as would screaming or a loud whistle or all of the above. The women I know who carry spray are mainly concerned about rape, and mainly while walking from their car, in their garage, etc.

What always impressed me the few times when I saw street crime was how very fast it happens, and how the situation may appear ambiguous until it is too late to do much. I just try to keep my senses open and fade anything that looks odd.

Also, if I am wearing quiet shoes I always try to cough or make some innocuous noise before I overtake a woman walking or standing at a traffic light, so as to not giver her a scare.

Ha
Old 02-16-2009, 02:28 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I
What always impressed me the few times when I saw street crime was how very fast it happens, and how the situation may appear ambiguous until it is too late to do much. I just try to keep my senses open and fade anything that looks odd.
The attacker always has the advantage - surprise, subterfuge, place, time, weapons. The most important aspect of keeping safe is being aware of your surroundings and if something doesn't feel right get out of there.
Old 02-16-2009, 05:24 PM   #52
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:

Also, if I am wearing quiet shoes I always try to cough or make some innocuous noise before I overtake a woman walking or standing at a traffic light, so as to not giver her a scare.

Ha
How very kind of you. I wish more people thought the way that you do. We all need to be more kind and thoughtful to each other. Thank you.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 10:28 PM   #53
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:

Ha
I find myself doing the same thing, even in stores. I'm fairly tall so I suppose that is even more scarey for the unsuspecting .
I've even tried whistling a few times but that's kind of dorky, IMO, so I revert to the cough, unless the local media has been running stories about this outbreak or that outbreak. Right now I'm thinking about that palm in armpit noise thing. I did that in high school
JPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 10:34 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

If a man is behind me and does not want to startle me, I prefer a subtle shaking of maracas. If he looks limber enough, a dance may ensue.

No man should be without maracas....
Old 02-17-2009, 10:46 AM   #55
Give me a forum ...

By Dex... The answer to your fears:

The moral of that video is, never take a knife to gunfight.
Old 02-17-2009, 11:00 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post
The attacker always has the advantage - surprise, subterfuge, place, time, weapons. The most important aspect of keeping safe is being aware of your surroundings and if something doesn't feel right get out of there.
Very true. One of the reasons I prefer to live in a very small town. Less hassle, you know most folks.
I don't like cities.
Specifically it is my nature to look all people I encounter in the eyes, even if momentarily. In the a city with lots of folks this ends up being a lot of work. Takes all the fun out of a stroll. Not to mention many people find it distressing. It seems city people walk around with a fixed gaze froward, avoiding any eye contact, pretending that that makes them anonymous.

I'm always aware of who is around me, how people walk, their posture, position of hands etc. A long ago acquired skill of "space conditioning". Though in our small town strangers and tourists stick out like a sore thumb.

In our small town a stroll is pleasant, say hello to most, people smile at each other.
Old 02-17-2009, 03:02 PM   #57
Recycles dryer sheets

I've been in LE in a major city for 27 years. If you knew what animals come out from under rocks at 4:00 am you would never leave the house. Honestly, pepper spray is for salads, just a little to give it some flavor. Buy a small handgun and learn to use it. Don't leave the house without it. If you use it in self defense because you were in fear of losing your life the most that is going to happen is you will spend a night in jail, pay a small fine, and lose the gun. Small price to pay to be alive. Problem occurs when you want to threaten someone over a parking space.
ratface is offline   Reply With Quote