Join Early Retirement Today

Would you buy a house with a swimming pool?
Old 01-02-2017, 10:21 AM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

I love to swim and look forward to incorporating swimming laps into my new exercise routine. I'd love a pool but not sure about the maintenance. One good thing is I'll have time to work on it now. Those who've had pools, good or bad idea in retirement?
TNBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2017, 10:31 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I would skip the pool unless you can easily afford to have someone else take care of it. I think they are rarely worth the hassle.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 10:33 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

I've had three including current home and I'll never have a house without one. We use it almost every day, keep the temperature nice and warm and have all modern equipment including a salt water system and robotic cleaner so maintenance is less than 15 minutes a week.
Sittinginthesun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 10:38 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Be sure to check with your insurance agent about how a pool might affect homeowner's insurance rates.
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 10:42 AM   #5

We have had one for 20 years in current house and was wonderful for children growing up. We only get 5 months a year out of it though so the next place won't have one. As Sittinginthesun points out, maintenance has dramatically changed over the 20 years we have had our pool. With salt systems and robot vacs not connected to the pool filtration system there is pretty minimal maintenance directly related to the pool these days. Major costs are related to occasional replacement of a pump or the heater along with opening and closing if one doesn't want to do that themselves (not difficult and avoided completely if you are in a warm winter area).
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 10:48 AM   #6

I had one while growing up in Florida and all my sibs that are still in Florida have one. I was not scarred by having to tend the pool while growing up (had a 'pool man'), but, if I could help it, I would avoid a pool. Although you say swimming would be your regular form of exercise, you would be the rare individual that only knows the idea of swimming as a daily exercise routine (vs the reality of it) that actually follows through, long term. IOW, I've heard the swimming exercise thing before and later witnessed a pool that only sees kids in it, on their occasional visit.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 11:01 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Based on what you say.... I would buy a house with a pool.....

For me, I would not use it that much and would not want one... DW would want one, but would not use it that often...

We do have a hot tub and it might be used twice a month at best... still costs me a bundle just to have that....
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 11:12 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

My last 2 houses did, both in climates where they could be used about 4 months out of the year. I/we used professionals to open and close it but otherwise maintained it ourselves.

Use of the pool dwindled over the years. When we moved to the second house, DS went off to college and used it only infrequently in the summer. As DH developed some chronic health problems, his skin couldn't tolerate pool water (gave him itching attacks) and he was uncomfortable out in hot sun. I tended to do a full cardio workout in the gym every day or take long bike rides and jumped in the pool only after getting hot and sweaty after pulling weeds. Well, it was really nice for that!

We downsized in mid-2015 and would definitely not have bought a house with a pool. With both houses, buyers tended to be one extreme or the other: a swimming pool was a huge plus or it was a deal-breaker. There were more of the latter.

In addition to routine maintenance, there's a lot of expensive stuff that can go wrong. In the first house I had to replace the pump and the filter and at one point paid to have them tear up the concrete around the pool to replace leaky piping. The second pool was gunite instead of a vinyl liner, which was easier to maintain (no leaks) but at one point we had to drain the pool, have the gunite patched and repainted, and fill it again. I'm glad not to have that responsibility now!
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 12:01 PM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

I previously owned a house with a fabulous pool, and now just use the community pool. I miss having my own pool very much, and we are open to moving if we find a home with a pool in an area we really like.

So I would vote a big "YES"! Having my own pool is worth moving for.
Old 01-02-2017, 12:17 PM   #10
Gone but not forgotten

For the past 27 years, we've lived in communities with excellent well managed pools, with hot tubs, 3 minutes or less in walking or driving distance.
For some, the joy of having a pool includes the satisfaction from maintaining it.

Not so for this lazy puppy.
Old 01-02-2017, 12:19 PM   #11

I thought it was a requirement if you lived in Florida ! If I lived in an area where I could use it year round, then yes, I would have a pool.
Old 01-02-2017, 08:06 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Had one when we lived in Scottsdale. Loved it. Did the cleaning etc myself. Was not a big deal. Would definitely do it again.
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 08:47 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

80% of the homes in our new neighborhood have pools. Our home didn't come with one, however.

I'd love to have a pool, but I'd only be willing to pay a small percentage of what the total cost new when buying a preowned home. They're not particularly a good investment if you're installing a pool and landscaping.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 09:06 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNBound View Post
I love to swim and look forward to incorporating swimming laps into my new exercise routine.t?
Is a typical suburban backyard pool long enough for lap swimming?
Old 01-02-2017, 09:33 PM   #15
Dryer sheet aficionado

The house is located in what is primarily a retirement community of about 7,000 people. We loved the house, but definitely weren't looking for a pool. The good news is, it's a 16x40 rectangular pool, heated, with a salt system that should be perfect for swimming laps. The bad news is we know next to nothing about maintaining a pool. I love the water and feel that I'll use it to get in shape, but worry that it could also be a money pit. The other downside I see is possible resale down the road, so was curious if a pool is considered impractical for most retirees. And nope, we're not in Florida...Tennessee.
Old 01-02-2017, 09:54 PM   #16
Dryer sheet aficionado

My husband was a "pool guy" and he would never get one. He's seen too many people spend fortunes fixing leaky pools. Sounds like you've already bought the house with a pool, so our advice would be to get it inspected regularly and fix leaks and pump issues promptly. Also, don't be tempted to save money by not running the pump and filter as much. Follow the recommended schedule for your pump/pool.
Lake161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 10:21 PM   #17
Dryer sheet aficionado

Thanks for all your input. We'll see how it goes and I guess if it gets to be too much, we could fill it and make a large courtyard with a fire pit and such. IMG_2512.JPG
Old 01-02-2017, 10:28 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
Is a typical suburban backyard pool long enough for lap swimming?
No, which is why I wouldn't have one despite loving to swim and not particularly minding the maintenance. Unless you got an extra long pool or really like practicing your turns, it's just not worth it. Find a house near a decent public pool.

Just a btw to those who talk about a FL pool, my experience has been that during the hot part of the year when the pool would be most useful the water gets so warm it's more like taking a bath. My experience has also been with pools without much shade. Hopefully a nicely shaded pool would stay a little cooler.
Old 01-03-2017, 06:55 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
I thought it was a requirement if you lived in Florida ! If I lived in an area where I could use it year round, then yes, I would have a pool.
Agree with you.I think. At least I'd consider it. On the other hand, if I lived somewhere where I could use it 12 months/year, there would probably be some sort of public or private community pool I could use with far less hassle. Since I'm very hassle-averse, I'd probably go that way.

I live in an area where you might be lucky to use one 3 months/year. Yet I see lots of pools, 90% I'd guess are "above ground". These are still a PITA to get rid of if you are sick of it, or you want to sell the house and new owners don't want a pool, but at least not as bad as an "in-ground" pool, I guess.
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 07:00 AM   #20

Pools are great if in a climate that allows full year (or almost full year) use. Bought a house in Arizona with a very nice 42x20 ft pool with integrated spa. In the winter mostly just use the spa as it takes too long to heat the pool and can run about $100/day to heat when it's cool. Most decent houses in Arizona come with pools. Love it. Pay a pool service about $150/ month to service it. Would never consider a pool in Canada.

Replaced virtually everything in the 5 years we have had the house probably about $10,000.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote