Join Early Retirement Today

Would You Take Your Old Job Back?
Old 01-07-2010, 06:49 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Would You Take Your Old Job Back?

Just rumors:

Jay Leno may regain 'Tonight Show' perch (Updated) | Company Town | Los Angeles Times

But got me thinking...if offered, would you take your old job back?

For me, no way! No Mas for me.
easysurfer is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2010, 06:59 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

How many ways are there to say no?
Old 01-07-2010, 07:10 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

If I wasn't eldercaring? H*ll, yes!!! Absolutely I'd set a business up and start it all over again. Different strokes.
Old 01-07-2010, 07:20 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Bet you all can guess my answer:

NO!!! I would not take my job back.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 07:23 PM   #5
gone traveling

Well, it's a question I don't have to answer since my former j*b was eliminated, along with the company's local operations over the last year (I retired close to three years ago).

However, if asked the question, I would simply reply "I'll flip a coin - if it stays in the air, I'll resume my previous duties "..

Guess that answers your question.
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 07:56 PM   #6

Now? No, of course not.

But yeah, if I was 22 I'd do it again. That was a wild ride. I just feel lucky to have survived the experience.
Old 01-07-2010, 07:59 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Sure. For $1M/yr, I would do it.

Actually, I would do it for a little less than that (as I am still doing similar work part-time), but it doesn't hurt to ask. Right?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 08:24 PM   #8

No way...No how....Huh-uh....Nope....Not in a zillion bazillion quadrillion years!!!

Besides....I ain't got time!!!
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 08:46 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

The main reason I left my job was because of the terrible commute. A secondary reason I left was because I had become ineligible for the group health plan after I had reduced my weekly hours from 20 to 12 in 2007. In my exit interview, I told the HR assistant that for me to even consider staying with the company, I would have to not only get the old telecommute deal I had from 2001-2003 with fewer overall weekly hours (12 max with 1 trip max per month to NJ) but I would also need group health eligibility, even if I paid for more than 50% of the premiums.

They were both non-starters, of course. (big surprise) So that leaves me retired.
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 09:58 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I generally did a different job every couple of years. I can think of two I'd take back in a second, one if the pay was right and three I wouldn't. Of course, the company culture has change and most people think not for the better.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 10:32 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Sure, now that I've had 3.5 yrs of "rest" I'd go back for another stint of a year or two. My final 3 yrs of employment, I was on a "special assignment" doing some interesting international travel and training. After many years of "meeting the numbers" every month in a manufacturing environment, it was actually fun heading out to SA, Europe and Asia to help those folks be successful.

The end came just in time as DW and I both felt my time away from home should come to an end. But now..... having not even thought about flying anywhere since I RE'd, I'd put on the gloves for another round or two.

But return to my long time assignment working in the factory in suburban Chicago? Nah. That had gotten old after many years and doesn't call out to me at all.

Edit: BTW, DW would disagree with this 100%. Hanging around here while I'm off globe-trotting and brain dumping on captive audiences wouldn't be fun for her. So, I'll keep my hypothetical thoughts ref returning to that gig to myself!
Old 01-07-2010, 10:44 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

and copyright dawg52:
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 10:45 PM   #13

If I needed the money, I would take (just about) any job including my old job rather than put my family through a downward adjustment in lifestyle or put my longer term financial security and quality of life in retirement at risk.

I might draw the line at working for the TSA though.....
Old 01-07-2010, 11:14 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post

and copyright dawg52:
So you are not saying "no"?
Old 01-08-2010, 12:40 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by traineeinvestor View Post
So you are not saying "no"?
No, I'm pursuing other interests.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 04:08 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

What a question!

If they even asked, I think it would take exactly 1 nanosecond to say NO. And I'm being generous here.
Old 01-08-2010, 04:43 AM   #17
Full time employment: Posting here.

What I was doing when I left not a chance. The computer stuff for a few years before that was fun while I was learning it but it got old quickly so no to it. My first job after college was technically challenging, we mostly arranged our own w@rk schedule, was part of a group of bright twenty something guys who were on the road three days a week in fast cars with grateful clients.The office support staff was a cluster of young lovelies who outnumbered us two or three to one. Twenty again even thirty I would do it again. It even counted toward pension.

Retirement is Good!!
Old 01-08-2010, 05:17 AM   #18
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce1 View Post
The office support staff was a cluster of young lovelies who outnumbered us two or three to one.
Uh, let me reconsider ...
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 06:00 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

I wouldn't take any job so the direct answer is no. But like Walt34, if the question was, "if you had it to do over..." the answer is more difficult. I liked my career for the most part and it was better than 90% of the alternative work universes I could probably have toiled in. On the other hand, the idea of trying something completely different is appealing.
Old 01-08-2010, 06:06 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Now? No, of course not.

But yeah, if I was 22 I'd do it again. That was a wild ride. I just feel lucky to have survived the experience.
Absolutely agree. I loved hunting people, they're the most challenging and dangerous game ever created.

But I don't fancy riding the night shift again, at age 50, flipping a coin in the parking lot to see who drives and who rides. Or, as we called it, whose writing and whose fighting.

And to take the last assignment, or the choice of assignments that I was offered? No, no and hell no.