Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Would you Trade Places with Prince William/Kate Middleton
Yes, I would trade places. 18 19.78%
No, I would not want to trade places. 73 80.22%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-27-2011, 02:34 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Absolutely not...but, for a several week vacation, sure!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-27-2011, 03:00 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

30 years ago I was at Trafalgar square, surrounded by thousand of deliriously happy Brits, awaiting the arrival Lady Spencer and Prince Charles royal coach. It was a jolly good time and the Brits were very happy to explain to this Yank all the intricacy of the British Royal family. Over a few pints of Watney's it was quite interesting.

I was surprised how excited I was when Lady Di drove past and waved at me. (I am quite sure it was me, cause I know I looked better than Charles back then). Nobody does better pomp and circumstance better than British so it was a real treat.

I find Kate to be even more lovely than Princess Dianne so I'd happily trade place with that luckily William. I don't stutter and I rather enjoy giving public talks, so that part of the job would be fine. It would be pain to be overscheduled, and I would decree that Monday-Thursday would casual day at Buckingham Palace so would not have to get dressed up every day.

I am a wee bit peeved that the stupid US Postal service has lost my royal wedding invitation, so I am going to just watch the spectacle on the telly.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 03:02 PM   #23

I voted no but I think I could get used to being one of the minor royals. You know, the ones with the elegant historic houses filled with inherited treasures, the privileged horsey life, the easy entree into posh events. And I don't think the tabloid press hounds them too much, unlike the first line royals. Yeah, I think I could buck up to being a second stringer.

I plan to watch the wedding but before and after I get home from work on Friday...not taking a vacation day for it (although the thought did cross my mind).
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 03:03 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Can we do this on a part time basis, especially with respect to sex with Kate?
Nice try. I also forgot to mention that you're not allowed to accept and then abdicate or tell all the servants and schedule keepers to bugger off.
Old 04-27-2011, 03:12 PM   #25
Administrator

We'll be leaving tomorrow (Thursday) to help my sister move house. Over the weekend.

We were supposed to be leaving Friday morning but I just found out that all the local buses have been cancelled because some posh bugger in London is getting married.

I wouldn't trade places, even if it does make me famous enough to get all the buses in the country canceled on my wedding day.
Old 04-27-2011, 03:24 PM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
We were supposed to be leaving Friday morning but I just found out that all the local buses have been cancelled because some posh bugger in London is getting married.
Let me guess - you're royally pissed.
Old 04-27-2011, 03:29 PM   #27
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Let me guess - you're royally pissed.
You got it

I expected typical restricted Bank Holiday services, not Christmas Day services. It means an extra night "doon the boozer" with my BIL so at least there's a silver lining
Old 04-27-2011, 03:32 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
It means an extra night "doon the boozer" with my BIL
Where you'll get royally pissed.
Old 04-27-2011, 03:39 PM   #29
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Where you'll get royally pissed.

We'll be celebrating one of our own doing well for herself.

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/8670790.Pitting_their_wits_to_establish_a_royal_we dding_connection/

Quote:
For the future queen of England is a descendant of mining stock in the heart of the old Durham Coalfield.

Click family tree above to see larger image.
Until now, the only apparent royal connections of Hetton-le-Hole stemmed from the fact the one of its former pits, Hetton Lyons, was once owned by a wing of the late Queen Mother’s family, the Bowes Lyons.
Old 04-27-2011, 03:43 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

I knew it! Alan goes to England for a "holiday" and now he is going to help his "sister" (initials KM) move into a new "house" (castle? palace?) this weekend.

Say hi to Sir Elton!
Old 04-27-2011, 03:54 PM   #31
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Say hi to Sir Elton!
I'll sing him a song. Should be easy after a few pints
Old 04-27-2011, 04:03 PM   #32

Quote:
I think Kate's Mom and Dad (self-made millionaires with what appears to be a solid family life) are heads and shoulders above many of the hereditary royals who would probably be hard pressed to make their way in the world if left to their own devices. The Windsors have put the "D" in dysfunction in recent years. Prince William is lucky to get Miss Middleton IMHO.
Old 04-28-2011, 07:04 AM   #33
gone traveling

Quote:
Nice try. I also forgot to mention that you're not allowed to accept and then abdicate or tell all the servants and schedule keepers to bugger off.
Well in this case the answer would be no. I don't think my table manners as a royal would pass muster.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 07:14 AM   #34
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDaresWins View Post
I voted no but I think I could get used to being one of the minor royals. You know, the ones with the elegant historic houses filled with inherited treasures, the privileged horsey life, the easy entree into posh events.
Like this guy?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg images.jpg (9.7 KB, 151 views)
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 08:57 AM   #35
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDaresWins View Post
I voted no but I think I could get used to being one of the minor royals. You know, the ones with the elegant historic houses filled with inherited treasures, the privileged horsey life, the easy entree into posh events. And I don't think the tabloid press hounds them too much, unlike the first line royals. Yeah, I think I could buck up to being a second stringer.

I think this is the way to go and then for sure Hugh Grant would notice me !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 09:33 AM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

I suspect that for the rest of his life, wherever he goes, the surfing is gonna suck.

Even worse, if by some chance he stumbles across a place where the surfing doesn't suck, the security crew will make the mere act of paddling out look like a fleet sortie. It'll probably use the same amount of fuel & ammunition.

He's been trained since birth to accept his responsibilities. I don't see how he could know any better or even imagine anything different. But I can understand how she'd feel that she's been handed a big podium and plenty of influence to do good things.

As for living without servants, almost everyone starts that way. Then we need some help mowing the lawn, or cleaning the house, or a little extra supervision in the kitchen before the company comes over...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 12:15 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Guys, you could be young again, have sex with Kate Middleton every night
Who says I don't have sex with a Kate Middleton look alike every night?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg redneck.jpg (9.7 KB, 212 views)
Old 04-28-2011, 01:56 PM   #38

It's tempting to be again in a young healthy body and have the extra years to look forward to, but being a bit of an introvert, I'm not sure about the public appearances and speaking. This is assuming we aren't factoring in our present families and missing them, etc.
Ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 03:01 PM   #39

No, I wouldn't trade places.

Kate could visit once in a while if she wants but I'd wager she's one of those high-maintenance girls.
Old 04-28-2011, 04:53 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme View Post
Like this guy?
Cute! But I was thinking more along the lines of Harris Tweed, bespoke this 'n that, picture gallery stocked with Gainesboroughs and Reynolds, and Christopher Wren designed ancestral home with a few thoroughbreds gamboling in the paddock. We (the royal "we") know all about these things in Pittsburgh, don't 'ya know?