Join Early Retirement Today

Woulda Been Better Off If We....
Old 10-06-2006, 09:03 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Woulda Been Better Off If We....

...didn't get involved in Korea
should have let em go commie - instead of keeping troops there for 50 years, having most of the koreans hating/fearing us more than the nuts up north and dealing with this nuclear mess we got now - today they would probably be a trade partner

...didn't get involved in Vietnam
they went commie anyway after all the pain & suffering the US went through - today they are a trade partner

...didn't get involved in Afganistan - just send special forces in occasionally to kill the terrorists whenever they come out of their caves....
...didn't get involved in Iraq
...didn't get involved with the Shah in Iran
....don't get involved with __________ and just let matters run their course and then sign some trade deals....

...and why do we still have troops in Europe....

sorry for dumping this on the board, I feel generally negative this morn about the state of this country and choices that are made for us...
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Woulda Been Better Off If We....
Old 10-06-2006, 09:57 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Go to your yoga class, you'll feel better.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 10:07 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntoTheMystic

sorry for dumping this on the board, I feel generally negative this morn about the state of this country and choices that are made for us...
You are not alone.
alphabet soup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 10:07 AM   #4

Quote:
IntoTheMystic:

Good Witch of the North: Ohhh, Mystic, don't you worry. Tell your pitious heart there's no harm done.

DorthyMystic: Ohh, woe. Ohhh, woe is me.

Good Witch: Just take your wand in hand, wave it high above your head. Then tap your slippers together three time saying, 'There's no place like earth, there's no place like earth, there's no place like earth.'

Old 10-06-2006, 10:36 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
...and why do we still have troops in Europe....
Out of sight, out of mind. The price of being the super power are we?
Old 10-06-2006, 12:52 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
Go to your yoga class, you'll feel better.
missed today....feel better when I do...lulled into being comfortably numb until the next time..

Apocalypso - I wish I had a wand right now...I wish I wish I wish that the Twins will rise up this weekend and take their rightful place to go and smite those damn yankees and show what a low budget small market team can do to the dark force... can't believe they lost 2 in the dome....if they go all the way then I will forget about how screw up things are and how everybody hating US....
Old 10-06-2006, 04:31 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

Often it is hard to be the leader in getting involved in international affairs. Get crapped on if you do, and also if you don't.

IMHO, I think the biggest resentment from the International community vis-a-vis US involvement overseas is US inflexibility (perceived or real)about 'doing it my way' and for only the reasons that the US sees fit. Very few other countries see 'protection of and furthering democracy' as the overriding objective and that is where the US has lost a ton of support. Fact is, before Bush's theme of 'democracy', the US was known for its support of dictatorships as long as it's business and military interests were being served, e.g. the Shah of Iran, etc.

Somehow the US needs to find a way to be more inclusive and flexible in its military escapades and more consistent in its rationale for intervention.
AltaRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 05:15 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltaRed

IMHO, I think the biggest resentment from the International community vis-a-vis US involvement overseas is US inflexibility (perceived or real)about 'doing it my way' and for only the reasons that the US sees fit. Very few other countries see 'protection of and furthering democracy' as the overriding objective and that is where the US has lost a ton of support. Fact is, before Bush's theme of 'democracy', the US was known for its support of dictatorships as long as it's business and military interests were being served, e.g. the Shah of Iran, etc.

Somehow the US needs to find a way to be more inclusive and flexible in its military escapades and more consistent in its rationale for intervention.
Well and tactfully said. It's not an impression that's confined to the international community, either. Many in the US agree with your summary including plenty of patriots.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 05:54 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Cheer up. The ice caps are melting away. Mother Nature resolves everything.
Old 10-07-2006, 08:48 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlogBlogger
Cheer up. The ice caps are melting away. Mother Nature resolves everything.
yes, things are warming up more here in Minnesota, so I have that to be thankful for!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltaRed
Often it is hard to be the leader in getting involved in international affairs. Get crapped on if you do, and also if you don't.

Fact is, before Bush's theme of 'democracy', the US was known for its support of dictatorships as long as it's business and military interests were being served, e.g. the Shah of Iran, etc.
Agree with your post except this section...don't think anything has changed in the support of dictators...Bush's rhetoric doesn't jive with his actions... in the last week he warmly welcomed a couple 1st class dictators .....quite a few in the middle east...anyone that supports the war on terror and/or has oil trumps any concern for democracy and human rights...
Old 10-07-2006, 11:32 AM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

I just wonder when we will stop using "the enemy of our enemy is our friend?" That strategy hasn't worked in numerous countries and we continue to use it and continue to eventually go to war against our new "frineds." I think the quote about insanity applies..."Insanity is doing the samething over and over expecting a different result."
Old 10-08-2006, 03:40 PM   #12

We are much better off with "friendly" dictators than not. Look at Iran. There a group of radicals took over a country that was working (slowly, I agree) to implement democracy. Anyone who believes the Iranian Revolution created a democracy needs help. It also started the rise of radical Islam. We should all thank Jimmy for that.

Korea and Viet Nam represent localized "brush wars" that allowed the superpowers to confront each other without going to all out war. Left to their own devices, the "Domino Theory" was alive and well. As we pulled out of Viet Nam, Cambodia fell and the communists killed millions. Viet Nam also purged millions. On the plus side, it just about ended Communist expansionism by both the Soviets and the Chinese.

The Soviets went into Afghanistan and we turned the tables by arming the insurgents. Unfortunately, the Soviets were responding to growing radical Islamic incursions from Afghanistan and we ended up arming, training and orgainizing the Taliban. Here we can thank Ronnie.

Where would we be if we just left Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Israel and many others to the local radicals? We are having to pick and choose because we can't end "misery" in our lifetimes. We just have to try to not muck it up worse than it was.
Old 10-08-2006, 03:50 PM   #13
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We should have never entered iraq. We had them under a microscope and any time they did something wrong we could have loaded up those INFIDEL JETS and bombed the crap out of them. Instead we will eventually creat a shiIte super power. With iran nuclear knowledge and iraqs oil money they will be a big problem.

WE HAVE MET THE ENEMY AND HE IS US!
mathjak107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 04:51 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107
We should have never entered iraq. We had them under a microscope and any time they did something wrong we could have loaded up those INFIDEL JETS and bombed the crap out of them. Instead we will eventually creat a shiIte super power. With iran nuclear knowledge and iraqs oil money they will be a big problem.

WE HAVE MET THE ENEMY AND HE IS US!
Maybe the Infidel Jets should visit Iran? BTW - Iran has all the oil money they need. They get much more than Iraq.

If you'll notice, all of the Sunni dominant states are being amazingly quiet and cooperative.

You are probably right. We are our own worst enemy. We have two-faced politicians that scream one thing when it looks good and then scream another a few years later for political gain.