Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Wow 3.18.9 a gallon of gasoline before Memorial Day!
Old 05-21-2007, 11:21 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.S.
Has anyone considered converting their car over to vegetable oil?
Back in the 60's I had a Rambler American that converted to iron oxide...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2007, 11:48 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl
What a bunch of wusses! I paid $3.51 to fill up yesterday -- it's $3.68 at the station closes to our house.
Today I filled up on Premium at the Mobil station right around the corner from me at 3.89/gal I expect it to be over 4 by weeks end

Old 05-21-2007, 12:01 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
Back in the 60's I had a Rambler American that converted to iron oxide...
Best use...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Wow 3.19.6 a gallon of gasoline before Memorial Day!
Old 05-21-2007, 12:05 PM   #24

Retail gas prices spike, but demand doesn't

At the retail level, the price for a gallon of regular gasoline stood at a fresh record of $3.196 on Monday, up from Sunday's $3.178 and 11.8% higher than a month ago, according to AAA's Daily Fuel Gauge Report. See the data.

The gasoline market saw "disappointing sales over the weekend," said John Person, president of NationalFutures.com. "Many motorists stayed in rather than fill up at the pumps," with the national price average apparently having a "profound effect on consumers."

Person's also anticipating "a surprise over the holiday weekend with demand on the decline," adding in e-mailed comments: "I also expect to see a big build in gasoline stocks as two refineries are up and running capacity should increase to 90.2% -- and we should see another build in crude inventories."

"These factors may take the bit out of prices in the next few weeks, unless a major event such as a hurricane causes a massive nationwide supply disruption, which would create a shortage of inventories at the pumps," he said.

So for now, "the fate of continued higher gasoline prices at the pumps will be dictated by the consumer," Person said.

This run up will break the economy this time. The first Hurricaine in the Gulf and IF there would be damage then you could see major shortages and prices that people could not pay. But the article is odd, demand is well DOWN but prices still rise.The car stayed home this weekend. Took the train not the car to charlotte. Were gonna go to wilmington this weekend and have decided to stay up here in Raleigh and do local things.

Lets see I will have saved over 800 miles of driving.

Oh can you imagine what gasoline lines would look like in 2007? I mean americans are well spoiled mean and loaded for bear!
Old 05-21-2007, 12:28 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy888

Oh can you imagine what gasoline lines would look like in 2007? I mean americans are well spoiled mean and loaded for bear!
Is the sky going to fall in too? I guess that's why I never was able to be a liberal (even during my young and carefree days) I was just never negative enough.
Old 05-21-2007, 12:36 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by saluki9
Is the sky going to fall in too? I guess that's why I never was able to be a liberal (even during my young and carefree days) I was just never negative enough.

I am just an observer. Did you remember the 70s and those days? It was a royal pain. But we did what we had to do, got rid of the big cars and never went back to them even the stupid suv craze. Bad gas mileage and a rough ride, americans were sold thru advertizing the SUV! Oh I NEED the space for my fat children and all their stuff!

No man the sky ain't fallin!
Old 05-21-2007, 01:16 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by tio z
Who goes through the Atlanta summer without the airconditioner on full blast.
If it helps, Edmunds did a study which showed that A/C didn't impact full efficiency. Use your A/C without guilt.
Old 05-21-2007, 01:16 PM   #28

I saw that this is the first time that, adjusted for inflation, the price has been above the 1981 peak.
Old 05-21-2007, 01:25 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

WOW, I just filled the motorhome this am, 125 gallons (diesel) @2.699 per gallon, ouch $337.40. Heading home, probably do it again tomorrow...

Dave
Old 05-21-2007, 01:48 PM   #30

From $3.20 to $3.29 here on Long Island, NY.

I remember gas wars in the late 50's when you could buy a gallon for 10 cents, have it pumped for you, your oil checked, your windows cleaned and you got double S&H green stamps.
Old 05-21-2007, 01:52 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Cheapest for me was $0.249 at a Gulf station in Seymour, IN, during a "gas war", circa 1970. Usually around $0.319. About a 6% inflation rate to $3, 37yrs later.

Gas war has a different meaning today...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 02:48 PM   #32
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger
From $3.20 to $3.29 here on Long Island, NY.

I remember gas wars in the late 50's when you could buy a gallon for 10 cents, have it pumped for you, your oil checked, your windows cleaned and you got double S&H green stamps.
Me too, and glassware or a free car wash if you got a full tank at the right station. Free maps with a big, polite smile. I could go on!

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 03:18 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Well, it doesn't look like the prices will be dropping. I bet the average will be $4.00 before July 4th. Now, you will begin to see driving habits change and the SUV purchases will begin to suffer -- at least in the Northeast.

Old 05-21-2007, 03:32 PM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Perhaps this will provide the will for the raising of CAFE standards. Probably not though. One thing is, with energy of all sorts costing more and more, I see personaly behavior changing here in SoCal in ways that may have long term benefits. I have multiple coworkers installing solar panels at home. Everybody is swapping out their light bulbs. Whole house fans instead of running the air conditioner, ceiling fans too. And nobody is buying an SUV or truck, and most seem embarrassed if they own a real pig (Hummer, Expedition) that they bought before last year. It would be interesting if after a sustained high level of prices, enough conservation is done and enough SUV's go off the road in favor of higher MPG crossovers/station wagons that we see a price crash. In the months after Gulf War I the prices at my local station were about 95 cents a gallon.
Old 05-21-2007, 03:52 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by janeeyre
Well, it doesn't look like the prices will be dropping. I bet the average will be $4.00 before July 4th. Now, you will begin to see driving habits change and the SUV purchases will begin to suffer -- at least in the Northeast.
I heard that when gas hit $2.00 and $3.00 too. Lot's of SUVs sold since then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence

It would be interesting if after a sustained high level of prices, enough conservation is done and enough SUV's go off the road in favor of higher MPG crossovers/station wagons that we see a price crash.
If it happens it will help, but that conservation may not be enough to offset the additional demand from developing countries. But, it might help keep prices from rising as much as if we did not conserve.

At some point, an electric car and solar panels will be cheaper than gas. Problem solved.

-ERD50

Old 05-21-2007, 03:59 PM   #36

But the shake out will be a disaster. People need to get to work. Now if we have a major recession which 4 dollar a gallon gasoline would bring and baby just wit till the traders see a storm form in the atlantic, prices will go nuts this time.

I keep hearing about how americans want suvs want large big engine vehicles, sorry but most americans are idiots look at the piece about debt in my other thread. Advertizing made americans buy stupid tough looking vehicles. Women needed the big vehicle to compensate for their mans small equipment!!!

Anyway, rebuild the darn railroads!! $hit on saturday when I took the amtrak to charlotte from the raleigh area the darn train was an embarassment to the unted states, we look like a third world country!

Try the train you WILL BE SORRY you did! Man the bathrooms were well as bad as a service station in the middle of deep TEXAS!!
Old 05-21-2007, 06:41 PM   #37

I am holding on to my oil related stocks (except those like OMM and GI which got bought out from under me) for this reason.
Old 05-22-2007, 01:29 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy888 View Post
But the shake out will be a disaster.
Nah... from the chicago trib:

http://tinyurl.com/2vazt8
Quote:
Lynne Kiesling, a senior lecturer at Northwestern University's department of economics, said that although gasoline is as expensive as any time in history, the burden for many families is less.

"Household incomes are higher" than in the past, Kiesling said. She said the share of income spent on gasoline is lower now than a generation ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy888 View Post
I keep hearing about how americans want suvs want large big engine vehicles, sorry but most americans are idiots .....

Advertizing made americans buy stupid tough looking vehicles.
Not sure I agree, but it looks like we would need to solve *that* problem before we can hope to accomplish anything else. Got any suggestions (that is a rhetorical question)?

-ERD50
Old 05-22-2007, 02:03 PM   #39
Full time employment: Posting here.

Gas prices soar $25 per gallon!

http://www.thespoof.com/news/spoof.c...dline=s2i19139
Old 05-22-2007, 08:52 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

$3.19 looks like a bargain, god help me ... it's $3.31 in my spot in Central Indiana.

I suspect folks will keep buying, since most of us are stuck. The $$ will come out of other things.