Wow 3.19.6 a gallon of gasoline before Memorial Day!

saluki9 said:
Is the sky going to fall in too? I guess that's why I never was able to be a liberal (even during my young and carefree days) I was just never negative enough.

I am just an observer. Did you remember the 70s and those days? It was a royal pain. But we did what we had to do, got rid of the big cars and never went back to them even the stupid suv craze. Bad gas mileage and a rough ride, americans were sold thru advertizing the SUV! Oh I NEED the space for my fat children and all their stuff!

No man the sky ain't fallin!

Re: Wow 3.18.9 a gallon of gasoline before Memorial Day!

tio z said:
Who goes through the Atlanta summer without the airconditioner on full blast.
If it helps, Edmunds did a study which showed that A/C didn't impact full efficiency. Use your A/C without guilt.

I saw that this is the first time that, adjusted for inflation, the price has been above the 1981 peak.

WOW, I just filled the motorhome this am, 125 gallons (diesel) @2.699 per gallon, ouch $337.40. Heading home, probably do it again tomorrow...

Dave

From $3.20 to $3.29 here on Long Island, NY.

I remember gas wars in the late 50's when you could buy a gallon for 10 cents, have it pumped for you, your oil checked, your windows cleaned and you got double S&H green stamps.

Cheapest for me was $0.249 at a Gulf station in Seymour, IN, during a "gas war", circa 1970. Usually around $0.319. About a 6% inflation rate to $3, 37yrs later.

Gas war has a different meaning today... :-\

Tiger said:
From $3.20 to $3.29 here on Long Island, NY.

I remember gas wars in the late 50's when you could buy a gallon for 10 cents, have it pumped for you, your oil checked, your windows cleaned and you got double S&H green stamps.

Me too, and glassware or a free car wash if you got a full tank at the right station. Free maps with a big, polite smile. I could go on!

Well, it doesn't look like the prices will be dropping. I bet the average will be $4.00 before July 4th. Now, you will begin to see driving habits change and the SUV purchases will begin to suffer -- at least in the Northeast.

Perhaps this will provide the will for the raising of CAFE standards. Probably not though. One thing is, with energy of all sorts costing more and more, I see personaly behavior changing here in SoCal in ways that may have long term benefits. I have multiple coworkers installing solar panels at home. Everybody is swapping out their light bulbs. Whole house fans instead of running the air conditioner, ceiling fans too. And nobody is buying an SUV or truck, and most seem embarrassed if they own a real pig (Hummer, Expedition) that they bought before last year. It would be interesting if after a sustained high level of prices, enough conservation is done and enough SUV's go off the road in favor of higher MPG crossovers/station wagons that we see a price crash. In the months after Gulf War I the prices at my local station were about 95 cents a gallon.

janeeyre said:
Well, it doesn't look like the prices will be dropping. I bet the average will be $4.00 before July 4th. Now, you will begin to see driving habits change and the SUV purchases will begin to suffer -- at least in the Northeast.

I heard that when gas hit $2.00 and $3.00 too. Lot's of SUVs sold since then.

Laurence said:
It would be interesting if after a sustained high level of prices, enough conservation is done and enough SUV's go off the road in favor of higher MPG crossovers/station wagons that we see a price crash.

If it happens it will help, but that conservation may not be enough to offset the additional demand from developing countries. But, it might help keep prices from rising as much as if we did not conserve.

At some point, an electric car and solar panels will be cheaper than gas. Problem solved.

-ERD50

But the shake out will be a disaster. People need to get to work. Now if we have a major recession which 4 dollar a gallon gasoline would bring and baby just wit till the traders see a storm form in the atlantic, prices will go nuts this time.

I keep hearing about how americans want suvs want large big engine vehicles, sorry but most americans are idiots look at the piece about debt in my other thread. Advertizing made americans buy stupid tough looking vehicles. Women needed the big vehicle to compensate for their mans small equipment!!!

Anyway, rebuild the darn railroads!! $hit on saturday when I took the amtrak to charlotte from the raleigh area the darn train was an embarassment to the unted states, we look like a third world country!

Try the train you WILL BE SORRY you did! Man the bathrooms were well as bad as a service station in the middle of deep TEXAS!!

I am holding on to my oil related stocks (except those like OMM and GI which got bought out from under me) for this reason.

But the shake out will be a disaster.

Nah... from the chicago trib:

http://tinyurl.com/2vazt8
Lynne Kiesling, a senior lecturer at Northwestern University's department of economics, said that although gasoline is as expensive as any time in history, the burden for many families is less.

"Household incomes are higher" than in the past, Kiesling said. She said the share of income spent on gasoline is lower now than a generation ago.
I keep hearing about how americans want suvs want large big engine vehicles, sorry but most americans are idiots .....

Advertizing made americans buy stupid tough looking vehicles.

Not sure I agree, but it looks like we would need to solve *that* problem before we can hope to accomplish anything else. Got any suggestions (that is a rhetorical question)?

-ERD50

$3.19 looks like a bargain, god help me ... it's $3.31 in my spot in Central Indiana.

I suspect folks will keep buying, since most of us are stuck. The $$ will come out of other things.

$3.19 looks like a bargain, god help me ... it's $3.31 in my spot in Central Indiana.

I suspect folks will keep buying, since most of us are stuck. The $$ will come out of other things.

No I believe when they pull up and it takes 60 dollars to fill the civic they will use less. Sure you gotta get to work, but watch how many people start taking a sick day a week!! Look 4 dollars a gallon is a bummer for most.

20 miles a gallon, 1500 miles a month is 75 gallons at 4 dollars a gallon that is 300 dollars a month. A car payment. And most people are in car payments over 400 dollars a month!

No I believe when they pull up and it takes 60 dollars to fill the civic they will use less. Sure you gotta get to work, but watch how many people start taking a sick day a week!! Look 4 dollars a gallon is a bummer for most.

"Bummer" isn't exactly the word I'll be using if gas hits $4 a gallon....

Sick days ... perhaps, though at my place of employment that would only get me by for 10 weeks....

I suppose the ideas could dovetail: If filling up the gas tank means folks don't have the $$$ to go to the mall, or out to eat, then they won't be driving.

Last edited:

"Bummer" isn't exactly the word I'll be using if gas hits $4 a gallon....

Sick days ... perhaps, though at my place of employment that would only get me by for 10 weeks....

I suppose the ideas could dovetail: If filling up the gas tank means folks don't have the $$$ to go to the mall, or out to eat, then they won't be driving.

It will be called a major recession.

Bigtime. Something that we have not seen in a good while.

One Hurricane and you think things are bad now. remember katrina? It tore a new arsehole in the gulf oil fields!!

Prices went to 3+ a gallon. Can you imagine what would happen with prices at say 3.55 and a big storm heads to the gulf??

i have to use premium in my maxima...3.70-something...OUCH!

i have been using $60/day in gas to get around town for 8 hrs and cut grass...its really cutting into the profits

$3.699 and counting

Glad my diversified portfolio has the oil companies represented...

Back
Top Bottom