Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-22-2007, 09:02 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohvoy View Post
$3.19 looks like a bargain, god help me ... it's $3.31 in my spot in Central Indiana.

I suspect folks will keep buying, since most of us are stuck. The $$ will come out of other things.

No I believe when they pull up and it takes 60 dollars to fill the civic they will use less. Sure you gotta get to work, but watch how many people start taking a sick day a week!! Look 4 dollars a gallon is a bummer for most.

20 miles a gallon, 1500 miles a month is 75 gallons at 4 dollars a gallon that is 300 dollars a month. A car payment. And most people are in car payments over 400 dollars a month!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2007, 09:24 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy888 View Post
No I believe when they pull up and it takes 60 dollars to fill the civic they will use less. Sure you gotta get to work, but watch how many people start taking a sick day a week!! Look 4 dollars a gallon is a bummer for most.
"Bummer" isn't exactly the word I'll be using if gas hits $4 a gallon....

Sick days ... perhaps, though at my place of employment that would only get me by for 10 weeks....

I suppose the ideas could dovetail: If filling up the gas tank means folks don't have the $$$ to go to the mall, or out to eat, then they won't be driving.

Old 05-22-2007, 09:35 PM   #43

[quote=Ohvoy;518366][quote=newguy888;518361]No I believe when they pull up and it takes 60 dollars to fill the civic they will use less. Sure you gotta get to work, but watch how many people start taking a sick day a week!! Look 4 dollars a gallon is a bummer for most.

Quote:

"Bummer" isn't exactly the word I'll be using if gas hits $4 a gallon....

Sick days ... perhaps, though at my place of employment that would only get me by for 10 weeks....

I suppose the ideas could dovetail: If filling up the gas tank means folks don't have the $$$ to go to the mall, or out to eat, then they won't be driving.
It will be called a major recession.

Bigtime. Something that we have not seen in a good while.

One Hurricane and you think things are bad now. remember katrina? It tore a new arsehole in the gulf oil fields!!

Prices went to 3+ a gallon. Can you imagine what would happen with prices at say 3.55 and a big storm heads to the gulf??
Old 05-22-2007, 09:49 PM   #44

i have to use premium in my maxima...3.70-something...OUCH!

i have been using $60/day in gas to get around town for 8 hrs and cut grass...its really cutting into the profits
Old 05-22-2007, 10:24 PM   #45

$3.699 and counting

Glad my diversified portfolio has the oil companies represented...